New Florida dive flag law coming on July 1, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering if the dive cube might be difficult to tow in strong surface wind, current, and/or chop due to the increased surface area, a traditional flag can be difficult at times.

It's my impression that we can all continue to dive with a traditional flag or, now, the cube. The website states orders can be filled starting July 1, real world experience should quickly reveal how the cube works.

I was wondering if the dive cube might be difficult to tow in strong surface wind, current, and/or chop due to the increased surface area, a traditional flag can be difficult at times.

It's my impression that we can all continue to dive with a traditional flag or, now, the cube. The website states orders can be filled starting July 1, real world experience should quickly reveal how the cube works.

interesting -- no pricing avail... you would thinki they had a price point already set...

i would think would be more difficult to tow due to the increased surface area and shape. appears to be FLAT bottom which would increase drag.
"With 55 lbs of buoyancy, the GOUMBA™ Flag cannot unknowingly be pulled underwater by a diver. Additionally, it can also serve as a flotation device, comfortably supporting two adults in the water in an emergency situation."

is it USCG approved as a flotation device???? so you're towing a flat-bottomed box that has 55lbs of buoyancy....

FWIW, I am meeting with Ms Raschein on the first of next month. Any and all input would be appreciated.

I'm glad the meeting is coming together. The original message (post #32) you sent to Holly Raschein well encapsulates my thoughts. Shooting a sausage when ready to surface is SOP in Jupiter for most experienced recreational divers, whether hunting, photo'ing or sight-seeing.

The only thing you didn't mention is education or training provided to boaters or in boating literature supplied by the FWC or any other agency. Whatever comes of your efforts, it would be nice to see boating literature updated to include a discussion of the new float and (if you're successful) SMB's along with the coverage already provided on dive flags.

---------- Post added June 24th, 2014 at 04:34 PM ----------

I was wondering if the dive cube might be difficult to tow in strong surface wind, current, and/or chop due to the increased surface area, a traditional flag can be difficult at times.......

I wonder about this too.... there are even times a SMB can be a handful to handle. Last weekend, the surface current was much much stronger than current at depth. When I shot my SMB up from 80 feet, it took off like a windsurfer's kite when it hit the surface providing me with a amusement park-like thrill ride underneath!:D

I think this wont make any difference at all. I don't see many advantages to this cube over a standard dive flag. if a boater is not going to see a dive flag, they're probably not going to see this either.
But the important part is this. It simply does NOT matter what a diver tows or deploys. The only significant way to stop boaters from running over divers is to require training in order to operate a boat (ie a license) and make it a real penalty for running over a person who is carrying a diver marker.

Many, many boat drivers do not pay as much attention to where they are going as they should when they are in congested areas. Many more have no idea what any kind of dive marker is.

FWIW, I am meeting with Ms Raschein on the first of next month. Any and all input would be appreciated.
Plaid pants (sansabelt preferred)
Vitalis for the hair
Black sox with sandals (or tennis shoes)
Jade East cologne
And definitely carry a briefcase.

She'll think you are a professional lobbyist!

MB:
Plaid pants (sansabelt preferred)
Vitalis for the hair
Black sox with sandals (or tennis shoes)
Jade East cologne
And definitely carry a briefcase.

She'll think you are a professional lobbyist!

Put cash in that briefcase and you may be able to get something done.

Glad this discussion is happening, albeit seemingly late. I do hope you're able to have a productive discussion in voicing many of the concerns here that people have, spoken and unspoken. I agree with most of what's been said. In looking at the 'cube' dive flag that's proposed, it looks like it could be a nightmare to drag if there's a little wind, one of the drawbacks of even the typical dive flags most use today. I've been at 80ft with a fair amount of scope and a flag getting tugged in the opposite direction of the group, and found myself using a bit more air than the others, and had to pass the flag off to surface early. I can't help but think that would substantially increase with the cube proposed. The issue to me doesn't seem to be the direction of visibility of the flag so much, but the height off the water. I have spotted stranded divers more than a mile away from my boat who became separated from their boat using a safety sausage, and I think the fact that it was off the water 5 or 6 feet was the biggest factor to me seeing them. I think they are lightweight, sturdy and definitely visible. I think at the very least, it deserves to be at least looked at as a very viable 'option'.

I'm not a big fan of politics, but I can't help but notice the owner of the company mentioned in post #24 seems to be the biggest proponent of the cube product, and also seems to be the owner of the website he plugged in his own post (#36), his one and only post to this forum.

I think giving divers multiple options allows us all to be safe, feel safe, and to chose the best equipment that allows us to feel comfortable in the water. I too believe that a BIG piece to this puzzle is boater education. I can't tell you how many people I drive with don't know what the laws are, much less abide by them. Stiffer penalties and programs that help educate boaters would go along way.

All in all I think we're on the right track, and I'm glad to see someone getting some face time with a decision maker. Let's just hope it's more than face time.

Do keep us posted and thanks again for the hard work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom