new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oki_Gi, I was referring to the fact that traditional fins require you to have a traditional kick that's full and from the hip with little knee flex to operate with maximum efficiency.

Force fins work best when you flick from the knee. The kick is shorter and is more efficient on the downward motion.

Split fins have a different alltogether, in which maximum efficiency is achieved with a similar kick to the traditional but will less range in lick. Meaning you would use more of the middle of the kick range and with less muscle in it.

Hey, Madder, you sound like me! I went from the Platinas to the Twin-Jets! Sometimes I miss the "rudder" effect the plantinas had. (They are also great to use the "flutter kick" with). I still wear my Platinas on the rare occassion I actually want to take pics. They are also more helpful to me in strong surge. Maybe its all what you are used to. I've only taken my Twin-Jets out a few times. They are great for cruising...but I still haven't learned how to control them yet! Although, I'm learning the backward frog kick is great!

hi all thanks for the info. as soon as the weather breakes up here i will have to get a set or two from the dive shop and try them. i wish i could try them all out because i am sure they all have their good points, but too many fins and not enough time. thanks again for the help sam.

I've been using the Mares Rapida's for a while now. At first, they seemed stiff as hell (even though Rodale's rated it's stiffness to be below that of the Quattros) and gave me cramps the moment I kicked. Once you get used to them, man these babies make you fly.

Have always been curious about the vented and split fins. How can you really tell if you are moving just as fast with less effort? Seems intuitive that if you are allowing water to pass through the fin without pushing against it, efficiency per kick should go down.

i may have tried a pair of vented fins (can't remember which model) and it seems to me that i wasn't really moving even though i was kicking like hell. this could be because the fins had a lot more flex than i was used to. in other words, doesn't flex have a much greater effect on effiency and power then shape does?

tomcat

Back
Top Bottom