New Fins :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on the new fins - For what it's worth I've found having boots with stiff soles helped. (due to the short foot pocket) but I've been very happy with my Jets too.

If you like the fit you got, could you PM me the info on your boots (make/model/size) and Jet fin size you got so I can add it to my fin comparison chart? Thanks ( http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html )

Aloha, Tim

ans since this is the great USA hes allowed to compare what he wants,,, and next week he can report on comparing 3 sets of fins,,..

cie la vie,,,..

lol
radinator:
I've had similar questions after using Quattros for 9 years, and recently borrowed a friends Jets to try in the pool. I'm about to take DIR-F so I wanted to see if there was a real difference.

I tried the helicopter turns and the frog and backwards kicks with both fins. Since I have had no instruction yet on some of the kicks, but just worked it out by experimentation, I'm sure I wasn't perfect on the kicks. But to be honest, I didn't see a significant difference in the fins. I kept switching back and forth, but really didn't notice anything for the most part.

The one small difference I did notice was that the jets were slightly easier to maneuver without kicking something. The tips of the quattros every now and then would hit the side of the pool on a turn, while it was less likely with the jets. The jets are a bit shorter, so that makes sense.

Other than that, I didn't find it easier to do any of the kicks with one or the other.

This coming weekend I will have my DIR-F dives and will get proper instruction on what I am doing wrong with the kicks. I find the backwards kick especially hard. I can move backwards, but not by doing what I see in the videos, so I'm sure something is wrong. :wink:

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking both sets of fins to the class to see what difference I can notice. We'll see...

kidspot:
Congrats on the new fins - For what it's worth I've found having boots with stiff soles helped. (due to the short foot pocket) but I've been very happy with my Jets too.

If you like the fit you got, could you PM me the info on your boots (make/model/size) and Jet fin size you got so I can add it to my fin comparison chart? Thanks ( http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html )

Aloha, Tim

I will tell you the size I got now and if its not a good fit I will update. I tried on a pair at the LDS belonging to one our instructors. they ordered me XL. Im a female with a size 9 1/2 shoe. they were very wide for me but hopefully will do will with my dry suit boots (not rock boots) I do need better wet boots as Im still using the cheapies I got for OW class. Very thin no support. Can you tell Im excited? LOL just wish they would hurry up and get here! P.S. I actually used your sizing chart while deciding but had to try them on anyway because I didnt know how to go from male to female sizes. It would be nice to have a chart for us gals too :)

yipiekaya:
ans since this is the great USA hes allowed to compare what he wants,,, and next week he can report on comparing 3 sets of fins,,..

cie la vie,,,..

lol

Yes he did and thats a good thing. :) Im a bit confused on your point tho. Being in the same shoes err, fins, Im anxious to hear what he thinks after his class.

ScubaTwo:
I will tell you the size I got now and if its not a good fit I will update. I tried on a pair at the LDS belonging to one our instructors. they ordered me XL. Im a female with a size 9 1/2 shoe. they were very wide for me but hopefully will do will with my dry suit boots (not rock boots) I do need better wet boots as Im still using the cheapies I got for OW class. Very thin no support. Can you tell Im excited? LOL just wish they would hurry up and get here! P.S. I actually used your sizing chart while deciding but had to try them on anyway because I didnt know how to go from male to female sizes. It would be nice to have a chart for us gals too :)

Thanks ScubaTwo - usually for Ladies sizes you add one size to the Mens (I think that's how it works :wink: )

Maybe I need to note that too :)

Thanks too for the info...and enjoy your new fins :)

kidspot:
Thanks ScubaTwo - usually for Ladies sizes you add one size to the Mens (I think that's how it works :wink: )

Maybe I need to note that too :)

Thanks too for the info...and enjoy your new fins :)

I didnt see the part about pming my size info...well I pmed ya anyway! sorry bout that. Inattension on my part :)

Short wide and stiff blades make them a wreck divers dream. You CAN NOT muscle a Jet, if you do they will beat you. You can't chase down fish to take pictures, and you wont win any races with them. But if you make friends with them there the best for slower work and wont get in the way, and I like that they dont silt up unstable bottoms because of the great control.

radinator:
I've had similar questions after using Quattros for 9 years, and recently borrowed a friends Jets to try in the pool. I'm about to take DIR-F so I wanted to see if there was a real difference.

I tried the helicopter turns and the frog and backwards kicks with both fins. Since I have had no instruction yet on some of the kicks, but just worked it out by experimentation, I'm sure I wasn't perfect on the kicks. But to be honest, I didn't see a significant difference in the fins. I kept switching back and forth, but really didn't notice anything for the most part.

The one small difference I did notice was that the jets were slightly easier to maneuver without kicking something. The tips of the quattros every now and then would hit the side of the pool on a turn, while it was less likely with the jets. The jets are a bit shorter, so that makes sense.

Other than that, I didn't find it easier to do any of the kicks with one or the other.

This coming weekend I will have my DIR-F dives and will get proper instruction on what I am doing wrong with the kicks. I find the backwards kick especially hard. I can move backwards, but not by doing what I see in the videos, so I'm sure something is wrong. :wink:

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking both sets of fins to the class to see what difference I can notice. We'll see...

Honestly, you are doing something wrong. I can swim faster in Jets than anything other than a pair of true freediving fins and those can't be used in any type of overhead at all.

The foot pockets for Jets suck. Unlike more modern fins they cover, at best, half your foot. It would be nice if they updated this part of the fin. But if they did, they would probably screw something else up too.

For the best performance, you really need the XL jets. I wear size 8 1/2 shoes and still wear the XLs comfortably even when diving wet with booties.

Jet fins are a 30 year old design. Vents in fins really have no function.
Any marine mammal-whales, dolphins, seals, sea-lions, etc have no
"vents" in their fins. DIR, etc. may feel that this works but, in reality,
it does not. Divers who like the feel of the stiffer rubber fins can try Atomic,
Oceanic, SCUBA-PRO, and other brands and they will find a fin that will "back-up", frog kick, etc. and be much more efficent then any fin with vents [holes]. No marine mammals have vents/holes in their fins. Jet fins were simply an answer to the US DIVERS Rocket fins and have no real value. The best paddle style fins are the Mares
and Cressi models, the best split fins: Atomic, Apollo, Scuba-Pro, TUSA, OCEANIC.
Dive them all and make your own decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom