New fins...need thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never hesitate Kharon...good advice. I looked very closely at those, and almost bought them. But the neutral buoyancy and lack of colors made me hesitate, which is why I am exploring other options.

Thanks TN Traveler...with that said, it looks like Bob will be getting a sale from me.

I hesitate posting but I just got a pair of Aeris Accel fins and they only miss 1½ of your criteria. They are neutral and don't come in bright yellow. They do have colorful accent straps though and come in grey so your new buddies could still ID you. They are short (easily fit carry-on) and light. Best of all there is no performance penalty. I tested them against my Velocity 3X's and they compared favorably.

Is the strap post the small type or the larger type? I as ask as fitting spring straps would nice. Cheers.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2013 at 10:26 PM ----------

I'm always on the look out for the "perfect" travel fin, currently using the Hollis F2s, which I like, but the foot pocket is huge and I have a little too much lateral movement. The Accels come in XS but I'd like to fit bungee straps to them either the mares or scubapro straps but am unsure what the post size is and as I'd have to order online prior knowledge would be helpful. Cheers.

Last edited:
Is the strap post the small type or the larger type? I as ask as fitting spring straps would nice.

Not sure what is small or large. The head of the post is 3/4" and the post itself is 1/2". I think they are the common standard size. I moved my springs from a pair of Aeris Velocity 3X to the Accel. Switching from the stock Accel straps to springs took less than 2 minutes. Very easy to go back and forth.

Not sure what is small or large. The head of the post is 3/4" and the post itself is 1/2". I think they are the common standard size. I moved my springs from a pair of Aeris Velocity 3X to the Accel. Switching from the stock Accel straps to springs took less than 2 minutes. Very easy to go back and forth.

Cheers for the reply, in my experience fin posts seem to come in two sizes, Mares use a smaller post for example but I think the larger size is more common.

Is the strap post the small type or the larger type? I as ask as fitting spring straps would nice. Cheers.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2013 at 10:26 PM ----------

I'm always on the look out for the "perfect" travel fin, currently using the Hollis F2s, which I like, but the foot pocket is huge and I have a little too much lateral movement. The Accels come in XS but I'd like to fit bungee straps to them either the mares or scubapro straps but am unsure what the post size is and as I'd have to order online prior knowledge would be helpful. Cheers.

I will chime in.

What is your shoe size? I am a 8.5/9 double E. The Aeris Accel S/M feels fine for me and my feet are comfortably snug with a 3mm bootie. I wear a S/M for Hollis F2 as well.

I will chime in.

What is your shoe size? I am a 8.5/9 double E. The Aeris Accel S/M feels fine for me and my feet are comfortably snug with a 3mm bootie. I use wear a S/M for Hollis F2 as well.

Im a US 6, I've pretty small feet so according the the Aeris size chart I'd need the XS. Assuming the post is the same as the ScubaPros i'll swap out the factory strap for the SP bungee straps. I do like the F2s but the foot pocket is cavernous.

Im a US 6, I've pretty small feet so according the the Aeris size chart I'd need the XS. Assuming the post is the same as the ScubaPros i'll swap out the factory strap for the SP bungee straps. I do like the F2s but the foot pocket is cavernous.

Assuming you are diving with 3mm and/or 5mm booties given where you are at, I would think that XS should be a good fit.

Assuming you are diving with 3mm and/or 5mm booties given where you are at, I would think that XS should be a good fit.

Yep, 3 or 5mm and my feet are quite narrow so am pretty sure the XS will be fine. Hope so anyway buying online is always a bit risky but in Japan either they don't sell the item I'm looking for or the price is ridiculous. ScubaPro and Aqualung are basically the only choices over here, you can find other brands but due to economy of scale and the antiquated trading model i.e ten middle men, brands with a smaller showing often cost significantly more.

Yep, 3 or 5mm and my feet are quite narrow so am pretty sure the XS will be fine. Hope so anyway buying online is always a bit risky but in Japan either they don't sell the item I'm looking for or the price is ridiculous. ScubaPro and Aqualung are basically the only choices over here, you can find other brands but due to economy of scale and the antiquated trading model i.e ten middle men, brands with a smaller showing often cost significantly more.

Yeah. I hear ya. Japanese are also a bit more protective of their own hometown companies as well.

But I think you will be fine order the Accel online. If you think F2 fins are light, the Accel will certainly surprise you.

Yeah. I hear ya. Japanese are also a bit more protective of their own hometown companies as well.

But I think you will be fine order the Accel online. If you think F2 fins are light, the Accel will certainly surprise you.

Great, lighter than the F2s hopefully the performance matches or is better. Ill order some today. Cheers for the info/input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom