New fin time...HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fletch_boy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been persisting with Seawing Novas for a year now and am ready to admit that I hate them. They float my feet up over my head and they suck for frog kicking.

Most of my diving is from boats with occasional surge. I don't have to worry about long surface swims when I do shore dives. I am athletic and have strong legs so I don't mind the idea of stiff fins. I plan to start my tec courses in the next 12 months.

I am stuck on a decision between SP Jet Fins and DR XTs.

No shop in my area stock either so I'll be buying online somewhat blind and hoping for a good result. And noone I dive with has either fin.

Recommendations based on experience is very welcome.

Jetfins if you dive a drysuit. Consider also turtles or Hollis f1 depending on sizing.

Dive rite xt if diving wet. The deep 6 Eddy is more compact for travel.

Tech training implies double tanks. Are you planning on back mount or side mount? Back mount rigs tend to put you head down in the water, so a heavier fin helps keep you in trim. The same fin might make you foot heavy in side mount. I love my Deep 6 Eddy fins, but if I was getting back into the water in a dry suit and doubles I would take my Hollis F1s. Either have more comfortable foot pockets than the Jets.

Last edited:
Deep 6 Eddy fin (size Large) are neutral (buoyancy).

Hollis F1 LT (size Regular) are 1# negative.

Hollis F1 (size Extra Large) are 2# negative.

I highly recommend any of those, depending on what buoyancy you want from your fins.

If your current fins are "floating up over your head" and that is even in a wetsuit, you might really want to consider the F1 (non-LT). Or position your tank lower in your BCD, so the tank is lower on your back....

I have not tried the actual SP Jet, but I like all 3 of the ones I listed better than the Dive Rite XTs, which I have tried 2 or 3 times now (including again last Sunday).

ps. The DR XTs (size Large) are 0.4# negative.

All those weights are in fresh water, using the size that fits me (for a US 10.5 - 11 foot). The F1 (non-LT) fins I have/weighed are XL because I wear them over my drysuit boot.

Thanks for the replies.

Still undecided on twins or side mount. I'll will discuss this with the instructor I plan to go with.

I already have my tank sitting as low as it can go, its quite comfy as it is.

When reading reviews on the Eddys my concern is the bouancy. I don't want to swap a crap floaty fin for a quality floaty fin...

I'm not that experienced, so take this FWIW, but I have never heard anyone speakly in a particularly complimentary way of the foot pocket comfort of SP Jet fins.

OTOH, my experience is that Hollis F1 and F1 LT fins have a very comfortable foot pocket. Very nearly as comfortable as the Deep6 Eddy fins, which are the most comfortable foot pocket I have tried.

If you want a negative fin, go for the F1 or F1 LT.

I am hesitant on the jet fins for the weight and foot pocket issues, as I can't try before I buy at this point.

I looked at the Eddys and am very interested but the shipping to Australia is nearly as much as the fins.

I don't know if I'm asking too much here but I'd love to get something that suits wetsuit single tank now and also drysuit twin/side mount in the future.

My Hollis F1 LT fins work very well for me for wetsuit single tank back mount and also for wetsuit side mount and also for wetsuit back mount doubles.

Wearing my drysuit necessitates a bigger fin because a thick sock and a drysuit sock or boot over that is simply bigger than my foot in a wetsuit boot or bootie. The F1 works very well with the drysuit and back mount doubles because the extra negative buoyancy on my feet helps counteract the extra floatiness that my feet get in a drysuit and the extra heaviness near my head from using doubles. Since I needed a different sized fin anyway, buying the F1 was a no-brainer.

Trying to have one fin that does EVERYTHING (from thin wetsuit and single tank to drysuit, undergarments, and doubles) is probably just not realistic.

Back
Top Bottom