New drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlbertaDan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I started my search yesterday for a new dry suit. Since this is my first dry suit I frist wanted to get sonme basic information on what types and makes are available.

After some basic research I found I can get the following-White's Fusion, Whites Catalyst, Bare CD4 or D6, Edge and HOG-Highly Optimized Gear.

Both the Edge and HOG are tri-lam.

Since there are only 2 dive shops here my selection is limited unless I order online. I am hesitant to order something like this online since it is my first.

One of the dive shops will rent out suit on a daily basis and I plan on doing this to ensure I get the right one.

So far I am leaning towards a compressed neoprene. As with many aspects of diving this will give me a trade off. A blend of manoeverabilty and snug fit with some insulation.

Just wondering what else to consider when getting a new dry suit for the first time?

Well I did consider the Whites Fusion for a while, but I wasn't sure about it. Some people love them, some claim there is way too much material bunched up under the skin (it apparently doesn't have very many sizes). I also thought the Bare XCD2 seemed nice, although stiff and heavy by the looks of it (never have tried one on). Then I saw the Bare SB videos, and even better a local dive store happened to be one of the few to get a prototype on display, so I went and looked at it and tried it on. It was light, easy to put on, not bulky (even though it was a size too big for me). A few weeks later I ordered one because they had a preorder deal at the store which made the price more attractive (it is not the cheapest drysuit around for sure, the Fusion is certainly a bit cheaper). I should be getting it in about 3 weeks. We will see how well it holds up.

Back
Top Bottom