new divers and Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanconstant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be in Belize for about 11 hours (a cruise ship stop). One excursion is to Turneffe, a two-tank dive that will take place either at Rendezvous Point or southerly Caye Bokel. I don't know who the dive operator is.

We have 15 lake divesand completed the OW and Advanced PADI courses.

I have read that this is an advanced dive (currents and heavy seas). Another option is a barrier reef dive with Seasports Belize.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Although there are a few advanced sites in the area, there are more sites that are perfect for the diver with limited experience. I rather doubt that a cruise ship-arranged dive outing is going to be doing any of the high voltage venues. PADI AOW cert should stand you in good stead for the dives.

If you have concerns, simply tell the dive op about them when you arrive & I'm sure that they'll take good care of you.

Do have fun.

DocVikingo

were very mild during our stay at Blackbird Caye. I don't recall diving either of the two spots you mentioned, but we typically had 75' vis, zero-to-mild currents. It was quite mellow, I think I went to sleep on one dive...<g>.

See if you can talk the dive operator into going to the Elbow (doubtful they'll take the time to get you there, tho), our best dives were there. Several sharks a the largest baracuda I've ever seen...easily 18" wide.

Did a cruise ship dive with lunch at Blackbird Caye at the dolphin research station. It was great, actually found Cozumel a let down after that.

Dove with AuaDives dive operation arranged through Norwegian. It was hell. An hour and half boat ride in pretty nasty seas to do a two tank that was pretty forgettable. The dive boat was old, beat up and we were bounced around and soaked for the entire ride. Four people took one look at the boat and refused to go for the ride even though they were told they would forfeit the excursion fee. Felt like a "dive warrior" after the experience. We should have got a medal for doing the ride. As I said the diving was okay but certainly nothing compared to other places I have been.

Tim your experiecne does not surprise me and i have to say if you are planning to visit Belize on a cruise ship DO NOT expect to be taken to the best dive sites, you will be piled onto boats and taken to the nearest dive sites.

If you want to dive Belize the right way and see why Belize is considered the premier diving in the Caribbean then come on a dive vacation so you have the time to experiecne the best of Belizes diving as there is no way you can do this from a cruise ship that is not focused on providing the best dive experience in such a limited amount of time.

You cannot make a determination on the quality of belize diving if you do one days diving from a cruise ship which docks in Belize City miles away from the best divesites in Belize.

Belize has AWESOME diving but not form a Cruise ship

regards

Gaz Cooper
Gaz Cooper's DIVE BELIZE
WWW.DIVEBELIZE.COM

This discussion thread for AlanConstant was good value.
We have settled on a trip to Lord Howe Island (Aus) in January, followed by Belize - probably February 2003.

saw Rodales & General Tourism URLs.....websites paint idyllic picture & in Belize it seems possible to have other activities on the agenda (e.g. archeological sites) when not in the water. But it sounds like there's some bad and ugly as well as some good experiences....
Budget will not stretch to liveaboard this time, nice as Aggressor sounds.

Any places to definitely steer clear of?
Any places you wd return to?
Anything else for new kids on the (Belize) block?

Thanks for any replies.

=-)

Gaz once bubbled...
You cannot make a determination on the quality of belize diving if you do one days diving from a cruise ship which docks in Belize City miles away from the best divesites in Belize.

Belize has AWESOME diving but not form a Cruise ship

Hey Gaz! Thanks for the input. I wrote because I often see "Aquadives" boats in Rodales Belize ads. They look like the same ones we went on and if so they suck. My complaint was more with the length of the boat ride and condition of the boats than with the diving. I would give Belize another shot but it would not be my first choice. How does it compare to Cozumel, Little Cayman and the Turks & Caicos? :shark:

Aqua Dives tend to work with the big groups and are a volume operator I choose to go the other way and focus on the small groups (i dont want to work that hard anymore :) been there done that and I prefer what I am doing now as I can have a more personal experience with my guests rather than my time being comsumed with dealing with 40-50-60 divers a day. I prefer 4 5 or 6 a day instead :)

I personally try not to compare diving destinations with one another as each has its own uniqe attractions and comparing can make one destination seem inferior when in reality it is just different.

Over the years i have heard Belize diving is better than all the places you have mentioned but have also heard its not as good as the places you mention, its a personal choice but one thing is for sure in my mind I have not dove better carribean diving than the Atolls of Belize, my favorites are Glovers Reef and Lighthouse.

Dive Safe

Gaz

Back
Top Bottom