new diver with wetsuit questions (New England)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi I'm new to diving. I got certified last April in Jamaica. I have finally saved up enough cash to buy all my equiptment. I'm lost when it comes to wetsuits. I would like to dive in both the ocean and lakes/ponds; mostly during the summer, but also spring/fall. Here are a few of my questions. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Does anybody have a reccomended wetsuit thickness(s) for diving in New England? (Specifically Cape Cod)

Has anybody used the Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuits? They claim you can wear them over other suits. I allready have a 3/2mm full suit for surfing. I was thinking it would be like having 3 suits, the Hyperstretch, the 3/2, or both combined.

The water is cold,you will for sure use the max like a 7mm as my pal that lives out that was uses,for inland water a 3mm should be fine for warm weather.
see what the locals use I'm sure many dive dry.
Brad

Definitely 7mm, at a minimum. In the heat of the summer, water temps may get to 70, but even that temp will chill you after too long. Many divers up here use 7mm with 7mm vests. Personally, I dive 7mm spring, summer and fall, maybe taking off my hood (5mm) during August. Brad is right, many dive dry year round.

Overall, it seems that the hyperstretch is ok. Pluses include comfort and east of donning/doffing. Minuses include prone to pilling/long term sturdiness, not as warm as comparable suits (hyperstetch compresses more than standard neoprene) and kinda pricey. I haven't hear of wearing a hyperstretch fullsuit over a 3/2, but no personal experience with that.

Hi mfalco,

There are a few recent threads running that I hope you have seen. I'm in southern Maine just up the road from you. I was certified in June of 05. I've made 76 dives so far in New England lakes and ocean waters so I think I can speak pretty directly to what you should be considering.

First, set the 3mm asside. Save it for travel, a nice skin-dive on a pond or even a shallow July August fresh water dive above the thermocline. It's a very liberating experince as New England diving goes. We actually did one evening dive in swimwear this past July!

Second. I have never owned a hyperstretch suit. Other brands make similar high stretch suit. It's not hard to find a body of owners who say they don't hold up as well. The same is true about not being as warm. The flexibility that allows for the stretch and comfort allows crushing and loss of insulation at depth. Some swear by their Hyper-stretch suits, there is no free lunch.

Now onto what I suggest.... Since you have set asside winter diving lets go down the wetsuit road.

The common suit for ocean diving around here is a 7mm suit with a second 7mm layer for the torso & groin areas. This can take 2 principal forms.

1 A John and Jacket. This a set of wetsuit pants that also covers the chest and has shoulder straps. Added to this is a step-in jacket that starts mid thigh and covers the torso and arms. It's probably the most common configuration historically.

2. A fullsuit and a hooded step-in vest. This is what I dive and I like the fact that the full suit starts as complete membrane covering me. The hooded step-iin vest gives me the second 7mm layer for my groin and torso. The hood is integrated with the vest and effectively eliminates the neck as a source of infiltration. The vest also mutes any zipper seepage into the suit. The bare vest includes gasket seals in the arm openings to minimize flushing between the 2 layers. I dove this configuration in perfect comfort down to 50F for back to back dives before going dry for the winter. In the warmest nonths I swap the 7mm vest for a 3/5 mm chicken vest worn under the full suit. This keeps me comfortable and lets me leave 4 pounds of weight in the gear locker. I even use a 5mm suit and beabie for some fresh water dives. In your case starting out you need to dress for the coldest first.

There are some other threads here and in the New England forum about getting the most out of wetsuit diving. In short most divers can enjoy diving wet from sometime in May and into November without much trouble. The limiting factor is often not the water temperature but rather the end of dive changeout from the wetsuit in open air at the divesite, especially at the November end of the season. I have had very good luck with Bare products.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:)

Pete

mfalco:
Hi I'm new to diving. I got certified last April in Jamaica. I have finally saved up enough cash to buy all my equiptment. I'm lost when it comes to wetsuits. I would like to dive in both the ocean and lakes/ponds; mostly during the summer, but also spring/fall. Here are a few of my questions. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Does anybody have a reccomended wetsuit thickness(s) for diving in New England? (Specifically Cape Cod)

Has anybody used the Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuits? They claim you can wear them over other suits. I allready have a 3/2mm full suit for surfing. I was thinking it would be like having 3 suits, the Hyperstretch, the 3/2, or both combined.

On Cape I use a 3mm no hood all summer. During spring/fall I layer with a 5mm shorty w/hood. Check out Nauset Sport(also known as Nauset Surf) in Orleans. They have the largest selection of wetsuits on Cape-Oneil, Exel-and there prices blow the LDS away

Rap

Thanks for all 3 replies. Sounds like I should ask aroud a little more from people around her that dive. Spectum, I like your ideas about multi-piece setups, that way for different conditions I can change just parts. Is that true? The local dive shop said either a 5mm or 7mm full suit would work. The thing is there is so many different dive temperatures around here. they are:

1) ponds/lakes
2) the north side of the cape (colder water)
3) the south side of the cape (warmer water, the gulf stream)

Not to mention the different seasons

When I am ready to buy I will check out Nauset sports. that's where I got my first surfboard

Yes I mix and match in many combinations. I actually have a matrix chart in my log book for the suit combos and my weights for fresh/salt and skin and scuba dives.

There is a 5mm school of thought for New England diving. I have spoken with some of these folks and the attraction is the lesser amount of weight required. the ageee that they tolerate shorter dives, often stick to single dives and abreviate theor season to something like Memorial to Columbus days. There are certainly days when less will do. Also since you mention fresh water it's easy to find water in the 40sF in the dead of summer without going down beyond OW recomendations.

FWIW In my full 7mm suit and vest when diving an E7-80 in the ocean I wear 3+3 pounds as trim weight, 3+3 in my integrated pullouts (omit for fresh water) and a 14 pound belt, that's a grand total of 26 pounds.

Pete

PS
Since you mention that you are gear shopping in general. As a fellow cold water diver I would feel bad if I did not urge you to read this old post: http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16

It needs to be pointed out that wearing the wetsuit gloves/mitts and hood can be a very off-putting experience for newly minted New England divers. That and the feel of entire suit as well as the weightbelt and gear causes more than a few folks to say i quit. We then buy their gear for cheap:wink:

Depending on the water temp, air temp, time of season I wear a 7mm one piece or a 5mm onepiece, with hooded vest over the suit. Under the suit I wear a dive skin. That is in summer, early fall.

For deep dives any time of year or dives during late fall, winter, spring I use a drysuit.

Anywho, stick to it. You won't be sorry.

I'm not worried too much about having to carry extra weight duy to wet suit boyancy. Without a wet suit I only use 8 pounds of weight, and that was learning to dive. I weigh just under 130 pounds and have 8-9% body fat. With this in mid it sound like I should lean toward thicke wetsuits for warmth. I'm just worried about decreased mobility

mfalco:
I'm not worried too much about having to carry extra weight duy to wet suit boyancy. Without a wet suit I only use 8 pounds of weight, and that was learning to dive. I weigh just under 130 pounds and have 8-9% body fat. With this in mid it sound like I should lean toward thicke wetsuits for warmth. I'm just worried about decreased mobility

For your build I suspect you are right about starting with a warm (heavier) suit. You can always grow your wardrobe into additional lighter items as time goes by. Once in the water you can always let water in if you are warm, you cannot let heat in.

As for mobility it will be most noticable on shore and will be a non issue in diving activities.

Green_Manelishi made a good point that since you were certified in Jamaica 5mm gloves and a hood are probably new to you. Be sure to get in the water a few times under controlled conditions to revist your skills in the new gear. It's all part of the adaptation so ask plenty of questions and if you can find a mentor to bing you along then so much the better.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom