New Diver Wetsuit Question - New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same suit as "thatguyoverthere” Wetwear can really help guide you in the right direction. They have been making suits for over 30 years and are very knowledgeable on what to wear in what temperatures.

Diver save....dive happy!

As far as wetsuits go the most important aspect is making sure that it fits you well. Having wetsuit that fits poorly is a one-way ticket to a chilly dive. That being said you also have to look at how the wetsuit manufacturer fits the suit to your body. Many wetsuits rely on stretch to fit a wider range of body sizes. This can get you into trouble when you think about the design of neoprene. The insulation in neoprene comes from the tiny gas bubbles within the rubber. Many wetsuits use air, a few use nitrogen (nitrogen keeps you warmer). The more the wetsuit is stretched, the more the bubbles are compressed, thus less warmth. It is the same with compression due to depth.

When looking for the warmest wetsuit you want to find a suit that fits you with minimal stretching. Take a chance and look at some of the higher quality suits and you will notice that they have more sizes and less stretch (i.e. Waterproof). Another benefit of the Waterproof suits is that they use nitrogen blown neoprene (warmer), have great seals (less water transfer = warmer), and use a very small-cell neoprene (small bubble size within rubber=less compression=warmer).

Take the time to get properly fitted with a suit, and do not assume that just because a size in one brand fits that the same size in another brand will fit. Take your time, weigh your options, and think warm thoughts. :wink:

Was it the reference to the dreaded hooded vest that prompted your warning:rofl3:
You might want to read the thread just for GP, it does provide candid information about exposure suits that ads fail to cover.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/140626-close-call-dressing-room.html

Thanks for that I haven't figured out how to send a link inside this system yet.... What can I say.... I'm blonde! I can fix up a human body pretty well but computers baffle me!

I guess it depends on your tolerance for cold too. I comfortable dive in a sharkskin polar fleece lined lycra to 17 C but have done and hour and 20 in it at 15 C Sydney in the summer. Below that I pretty much need my 5mil. Not surprising for a misplaced cold blooded Canuck. My husband is an Aussie and he doesn't even own a 5 mil he dives in Sharkskin and in winter a 3 ml. I fine a lycra hood extends my comfort nicely. Probe long sleeved vests give that touch more warmth without adding bouancy but I feel safer with my hood seperate lol

Thanks for that I haven't figured out how to send a link inside this system yet.... What can I say.... I'm blonde! I can fix up a human body pretty well but computers baffle me!

I don't know if i'm doing it right, but it works so i'm happy
I just go to the page then copy the address & paste into the post. After i click "post reply" I try the link to make sure it works:D

I can't figure out how to post pictures without uploading them to the gallery first.

Thanks
Hey you changed your picture.... I really liked the shark! lol

yeah, it was the whole tooth thing but it wasn't bringing me any luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom