New Diver - West Central OH (Preble Co)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skyking

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a new diver looking for buddies/opportunities to get wet. Live about half an hour from New Paris, and can travel whatever distance a day-trip will allow.

Got a lot to learn so would like to start with some simple confidence builders and go from there.

Tom

Welcome aboard! Check the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew area to see what ScubaBoard people are up to in your vicinity.

Glad you found us! This is a great place to spend your SI, but watch out, it's addictive!

You know...there's a quarry in new paris...but it's expensive, and not terribly loaded with fun, but hey, it's water.

Anyway, welcome to the board. some of these crewmembers are a little "odd"...so beware.

later
-T

BTW...I'm from Dayton

Odd? Actually after lurking a while I find this group refreshingly normal.

Been hearing about the place in New Paris and driven by there a time or two but never have been past the gate. Been thinking about checking out Circleville.

Thanks for the replies & looking forward to gettin' wet with y'all!

Tom

skyking:
Been thinking about checking out Circleville.

Thanks for the replies & looking forward to gettin' wet with y'all!

Tom
I dove circlevill last year very shallow max depth 25 feet and only a bus and a airplane small one and that is about it. if you go over to the south quarry max depth about 30 to maybe 35 and just a police car and another bus and some HUGE Frigging cat fish all in all if your closer to gilboa go there. If you want to practice bouyancy in shallow water go to circleville.

gtxl1200:
I dove circlevill last year very shallow max depth 25 feet and only a bus and a airplane small one and that is about it. if you go over to the south quarry max depth about 30 to maybe 35 and just a police car and another bus and some HUGE Frigging cat fish all in all if your closer to gilboa go there. If you want to practice bouyancy in shallow water go to circleville.
He's closer to Gilboa....

I like Gilboa...

Gilboa good...

Anyway, there's Circleville, Whitestar, Portage, Gilboa, Blue Springs in Indiana, and the quarry in NEw Paris that are all within probably 2 hours of Tom.

I've not been to Blue Springs or Circleville, but know that they are pretty shallow.

Portage, you can find 70'.....Whitestar, you can get to 78' (I checked my log book and found 78 and 75)....Gilboa, you can find 80+ on the shallow side, and it just drops off on the other side of the wall.

All 3 of these places are good to go to, but Gilboa has the most stuff.

Welcome to the board! We were just at Natural Springs (New Paris) last weekend and the water was TOASTY! The bass were on their nests, one is guarding eggs that were laid on a computer monitor evidently he's the envy of ALL the other bass! It only takes about 3 dives to memorize the entire quarry (5 if you spend more time watching fish than swimming) but it's a nice place to get wet even if they do want $13 to get in (you get an air fill with that though). There's a large freshwater drum (Sheephead) in there too, something to keep an eye out for.

Glad you found us! Enjoy your time here and hope to see you around the dive sites!
Ber :lilbunny:

Welcome, Tom!
I'm a fairly new diver myself. Where did you do your AOW? You must have had a deep dive with that.

I've been to Gilboa (site of OW and AOW cert dives) and once to Blue Springs (less than 60ft, I think). Even though I've talked to a few about Circleville (shallow, but not bad) and Hidden Paradise (by someone on this board, I think) I haven't been many local places yet.

I'm only diving wet so it's a bit cold yet. (I don't know what Ber considers "TOASTY", but I'm waiting to dive the neighbor's pool before they turn on the heater as a test (it was 61F when they took the cover off and shocked it)).

I'd love a day trip soon. When you have plans, post a notice.

-Rob

Back
Top Bottom