New Diver w/new BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MagicDave

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving, just recently completing OW. Had been using rental BC's until today, when I used my brand new BC. The dive went great and BC worked like a dream. However, just before cleaning my BC I noticed it already had @ 1-2 cups of water in it. Is it normal for BC's to take on some water during diving? Is this a problem? Can it be prevented?

I simply returned the rental BC's and maybe just never noticed this before.

Thanks for any help.

I have had this happen also. Not sure if it happens very often. I have tried to watch for when it happens. I'll keep watching.

Probably normal. The more you purge to empty the bladder the more water you'll get inside.

Be sure to rinse the bladder with water.

MagicDave:
I am new to diving, just recently completing OW. Had been using rental BC's until today, when I used my brand new BC. The dive went great and BC worked like a dream. However, just before cleaning my BC I noticed it already had @ 1-2 cups of water in it. Is it normal for BC's to take on some water during diving? Is this a problem? Can it be prevented?

I simply returned the rental BC's and maybe just never noticed this before.

Thanks for any help.

Acccording to Dive Training Magazine, that is normal, and you should try to purge as much as possible before storing your BC.

Don Janni:
Probably normal. The more you purge to empty the bladder the more water you'll get inside.

Be sure to rinse the bladder with water.

Exactly water gets in to the BC if you are pulling a dump valve open and since there is no air water is getting inside.I had the same issiue when I started diving.

Your instructor should have taught you care of the BC, they must have skipped that part. Having that amount of water is perfectly normal. With experience you will get less but you can always expect some.

Here's what I do.

Pete

I find that my BC usually does have some water in it at the end of a dive. I usually fill it completely with air, invert and drain. I don't know if it is recommended or not but I store my BC filled till "firm".

Ahhh. Make since. The rental bc's didn't have dump valves and I did play with them on this dive (new toy, what can I say). I will not use them on the next dive and see if I notice a difference. I bet you are right, I prob. pulled the valve when there wasn't enough pressure in the BC and water came in.

Yes, I did rinse very well...took a lot of egg money to buy it ( and kissing up to my wife), so got to make it last.

Thanks for the quick replys!
Magic

spectrum:
Your instructor should have taught you care of the BC, they must have skipped that part. Having that amount of water is perfectly normal. With experience you will get less but you can always expect some.

Here's what I do.

Pete

You are correct, I guess since no one owned their equipment in the class, it didn't get covered at all. GREAT LINK WITH GREAT INFO!!!!:D :D :D THANKS!

Sounds like standard problem that with good care of my equipment shouldn't be a problem. thanks again!!!!!

Yes it's normal. My Oceanic BC does it all the time. Just remember to drain and rinse it out after and you'll be fine.

On my first dive trip I flew down to the Keys for a weekend of diving. On my flight home I got hit with overweight baggage and couldn't figure out why. Until I pulled my BC out of my bag and realized I had forgotten to drain and rinse it after my dives. I brought home a few pounds of seawater with me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom