New diver – should I buy a computer or other gear first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immense

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone – great community you have here!

I am working on my OW certification (I finish next weekend!!) and have a trip to Cozumel planned in August..

So far the only gear I have is the required OW stuff (Mask, Fins, snorkel and boots) but my LDS people keep telling me to get my own BC, REG and Computer (Although I know they want me to spend more money I also know they are sincere in telling me what I need!). I really don’t know what to do – I love the sport so far and plan on trying to dive once a month at minimum but as you all know – this stuff is expensive!!

My main questions are:

Should I buy all of my own gear or rent for a while to make sure I keep diving?

If I only buy once piece of additional gear before my Coz trip – what should it be (I am told a computer would be the best)

Last but not least, what is a good budget computer for me? Something that has good features but won’t cost me $500.00

Ok I lied – one more question – I need a cheap camera too (underwater), suggestions would be great!

Thanks a ton!
(My Certification will be PADI)

What kind of diving are you going to do besides the trip to Coz??

If you plan on diving regualrly I would suggest getting the appropriate exposure protection first. Other stuff is easily rented if you are going to travel for your diving.

You do not need a computer to dive. Just take your PADI table and a reliable dive watch. You can rent a BC and a regulator. Even if it's crappy rental stuff it is usually safe.

Go with the wetsuit like JBD said. That's the hardest to find (size and comfort) and the most important if you are diving in cooler water. They can be pretty pricey depending on thickness and brand.

scubamickey:
You can rent a BC and a regulator. Even if it's crappy rental stuff it is usually safe.

:lol: That's reassuring, usually safe? I think the first piece of gear to buy after mask, snorkel and fins is your own regulator. Most important piece of safety gear. Rental regs suck.

stangscuba98a:
:lol: That's reassuring, usually safe? I think the first piece of gear to buy after mask, snorkel and fins is your own regulator. Most important piece of safety gear. Rental regs suck.

Yeah I know :wink:. But it really is rare that you hear of anyone dying from a rental regulator. I have to admit that I did buy my own BC, pressure gauge, and regs right after I got certified because I hated the rental stuff I used during the course.

Renting can be good if you're not sure you will continue diving, though buying might make you more likely to continue. Renting is also good for trying gear and getting a little experience first so you'll have a better idea what you want to buy. If you can afford to buy it all now I might still say go for it, except your trip is soon so you might be rushed and make choices you'll regret. You'll probably come back from Coz with a much better idea what you like and don't like.

There are arguments to get the BC first as it can be hard to get a rental BC that fits right, no matter how well maintained they are. One thing about regs is, they don't have to fit, but a BC does. It can make a huge difference in your comfort and bouyancy control to have the right BC.

There are also good arguments to get the reg first as it's your life support and there's some sadly maintained rental regs and occasional horror stories out there. I haven't been to Coz but I'm guessing the rental gear is generally pretty good.

I would normally say buy the computer last but it's definitely a good thing to have on a tropical trip esppecially if you're diving alot, and it's easy to pack.

If you say who you're diving with I'm sure someone can speak to the quality of their rental gear. If there's no concerns with that you might just see what their rental rates are and buy the one that would cost you the most to rent. Thereby saving money to buy more gear when you get home. :wink:

As far as UW cameras you might want to skip that your first trip and concentrate on the diving. Taking decent pictures can be tricky and requires good bouyancy skills, taking pictures while drift diving can be trickier (and air consuming), taking decent pictures with a cheap camera - well it depends on how cheap. I think it would be better to buy more of your main dive gear before a camera.

Most people already own a digital camera, why not check into the possibility of a case for your digital as an option.

My advice would be buy your own regs first.

Immense:
Hello everyone – great community you have here!

I am working on my OW certification (I finish next weekend!!) and have a trip to Cozumel planned in August..

So far the only gear I have is the required OW stuff (Mask, Fins, snorkel and boots) but my LDS people keep telling me to get my own BC, REG and Computer (Although I know they want me to spend more money I also know they are sincere in telling me what I need!). I really don’t know what to do – I love the sport so far and plan on trying to dive once a month at minimum but as you all know – this stuff is expensive!!

My main questions are:

Should I buy all of my own gear or rent for a while to make sure I keep diving?

If I only buy once piece of additional gear before my Coz trip – what should it be (I am told a computer would be the best)

Last but not least, what is a good budget computer for me? Something that has good features but won’t cost me $500.00

Ok I lied – one more question – I need a cheap camera too (underwater), suggestions would be great!

Thanks a ton!
(My Certification will be PADI)

First let me say "Don't buy yet!"

During your OW you will likely not go deeper than 40'. Possibly 60', but most likely 40-50'. You could possibly be one of those people that have equalization issues and can't even get that deep. Or you may find out in Coz' that you can't get deeper. Until you know for sure that you can dive, you like it and will do it often enough to justify the cost, don't buy. The gear you have now, you can always use for snorkeling in the event you can't dive.

Then there comes the issue that at this point, you're not even sure of what type of diving you may want to pursue in the future. Will it be recreational only or will you want to get into more technical diving that may require double tank setup? That would push you to the BP/wing setup. You may not like integrated weights in a BC and opt for the traditional belt.

What is your body shape? This can affect BC choice as well.

Too many 'ifs' at this point.

Here's what I recommend to students and the same thing I recommended when I was an LDS owner:

Don't buy the expensive gear immediately. Try before you buy. (No the shop didn't go out of business, we didn't care for and moved back to Colorado).

Regulators and BC's can very well be items that will last 10, 15, 20 years if properly cared for, so these should not be items you rush into or get pressured into.

Talk to the LDS where you are getting your training. Tell them that you want to build a long term relationship, but don't want to possibly regret any purchase and be an unhappy customer. They should understand and respect that. If not, go elsewhere.

Ask them if you can rent equipment for your trip. Ask for equipment that you are interested in buying. (Provide us with brands they carry and we can give you specifics). Ask them to apply the rental fee to the purchase price. If they say no, ask to apply part of the rental to the purchase. If they say no, go elsewhere.

Tell them that when you are ready to buy, you will most likely want to put a package together and ask what kind of discount can they offer? If you're not saving at least 30% from total individual prices, go elsewhere.

I recommend to try at least three manufacturers and several models within each. This can give you a wide spectrum of styles and performance. You may want a BP/wing instead of a jacket style BC. You may want to spend another $100 for a different model regulator.

Once you have an opportunity to try several different gear configurations and get more comfortable with what type(s) of diving interest you, you will know better what you want and are comfortable with.

Then you can approach your LDS, configure a package and ask them for a package discount.

Dive Computer - My recommendation is not to buy a computer right away. Spend time learning the tables and Wheel. Plan your dives "old school". I have been diving with a computer of some kind since 1993, but I still plan using tables and take them with me. If my computer dies, I still have my tables and watch. My dive or trip is not done.

Camera - Don't bother on your first trip. Yes, there will be all kinds of things you'll want to photo. Chances are excellent there will be someone on your dives with a camera. Talk to them, tell them your situation (new diver, first trip to Coz') ask them if they would take some photos of you. Offer to buy the photos and exchange emails.

Concentrate on the skills you learn in certification. If your OW cert dives are in fresh water, sea water will take a bit of getting used to (more weight needed, current, surge) and you will need to be focused.

When it comes time to buy, if you can't afford a package, here's my preference of order:

1 - Regulator. It's yours, you know the maintenence done, care, cleaning. Buy this from your LDS to ensure there are no warranty hassles. You will most likely get it serviced/repaired at the LDS and they will be appreciative that you bought it from them. Just make sure your getting a good deal.

2 - BC or BP/wing. Same main issues as regulator. In my estimation, not as critical to buy from LDS, but nice to support them.

3 - Wetsuit. Buy from the LDS where you can try on, get fit it you need to order. However, if they can't cut you a good deal, buy online.

4 - Camera & housing. Not really anything I would call "cheap" out there for this although prices are lower every year. Film cameras and housings can be had for $200 +/- although the quality will be limited based on lighting, distance, water clarity. I have a Sealife Reefmaster Sportdiver that take good pics, but by the time you get the film developed, find out what pics are not good, the extra money saved could have bought a digital. Plus the limitation of 36 exposures goes real fast when there's lot of fish.

Digital is my preference and the prices, mega-pixels and quality get better all the time. You'll still drop $400 or more for a quality camera and housing. Either way you would want a strobe to get the best pics.

5- Dive Computer. By the time you get around to this, you should have plenty of practice with tables and have a good idea in your mind of where you should be, when you should be there. You will have choices of air integrated (take the place of your SPG for air pressure), non-integrated, air only, air/nitrox, air/nitrox/trimix. It can be confusing. But you will also have an idea of what types of diving you will be doing and/or moving into. It would be a pity and expensive to buy a computer now that was air only and then in six months decide you want your Nitrox cert.

6 - Tank(s). These you can rent easily. But after time, you may want your own for peace of mind, ability to dive when the LDS is closed, spur of the moment. If you buy new from the LDS, chances are your can get a years free air fills.

Remeber, your LDS is where you will probably be spending more time and money on training and training is not how they keep the lights on and the compressor running. Those compressors, filters, rent/mortgage, electricity, insurance, employees, etc. all cost money. It's nice to have a place to get air fills.

Above all, take your time and enjoy. Don't rush into buying stuff just yet. Rent for a bit, get comfortable with what kind of diving you want to do and what gear you want to buy.

I'm also new to diving and trying to buy the whole pack, after my fins, mask, snorkel, boots, I chose to buy a wetsuit, my next purchase will be a regulator on a few days. I chose to buy these two things first just for hygienic reasons, I've been many years around gyms and seen too many athlete's foot and other forms of tinea to at least be cautious, (including a nasty one around the mouth o a guy). Just my opinion!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom