New diver – should I buy a computer or other gear first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to keep in mind, if you are new to scuba ... just getting certified, then you REALLY do not know anything about scuba equipment. You do not want to ONLY take the advice of the LDS either. They may be great, then again ... you may not know. I waited for about 6 months before buying my equipment, and I still ended up with two sets of flippers, two snorkles, three dive lights, etc ... because as you dive you develop preferences ... you see others on the dive boat with different equipment and you ask them about their stuff, you read about things in the dive magazines and all of that... ONE thing I would REALLY caution you about is taking your camera underwater on your first or even fifteenth open water dive ... you need to learn scuba first before you start messing around with a camera ... SURE you will see lots of good things underwater, wish you had a camera, but when you begin to take pictures, you will need great bouyancy control, you will need to know your equipment inside and out as you will tend to get distracted with your camera.

I skipped to the end and didn't read everyone's post past the second page or so, so this may have already been said. Anyway, I agree with the post above this. When you are just starting you have so much going on that you can't possibly know what you like and don't like mainly because you may not have all of the skills developed yet to use what you have profitiently. However, there is something to be said for having your own gear and diving the same thing over and over again so that you can give it a fair evaluation. I recommend deciding how much you are able to spend and try to get as much as you can used. The benefit here is that you will spend far less and you can likely resell it for close to what you paid when it's time to upgrade. The classified section of this site is great as well as ebay. The only thing, IMO, that you may be hesitant about buying is your regs. Unless you are comfortable inspecting them yourself I would recommend having any regs that you buy serviced prior to use. This could add $60 or more depending on the set-up. Just keep this in mind and be prepared to add $$$ to your purchase. Also remember there isn't any real new technology. Regs, bc, etc. are still made very similar to how they were 20 years ago - obvioulsy there have been changes, but many of them - in fact most of them have been primarily from a marketing stand point. I am still diving with my first set of regs that I got when I was 12. I have just maintained them and changed the hoses a few times.

In summary, for a few hundred dollars you should be able to get a used bc, a good quality used reg set up, and an exposure suit (who cares if it's used - pee washes off:D ) - you have mask and fins. If you don't/can't shell out the few hundred then do it slower, but you should really reconsider taking up this sport. As you have seen it's expensive. Don't get tanks until you are doing enough local diving to warrant them. Skip the computer - really, you won't ever really need one. They don't tell you anything you can do on your own with a watch. And it's really good to learn the tables - That being said - I dive with one and like it but it's only a convience thing. And the camera - wait a very long time. Any camera set-up that can take pictures worth printing are very expensive. If you really want to snap some photos take a couple of those disposable "water-proof" cameras. They will likely hold up at the depths that you will diving - you just won't be able to advance the film once you snap a shot. Take a few with you and you can get a few shots each dive. Or many places that I have been to rent decent camera setups.

Good luck and welcome to a great sport!

Immense:
Thanks for all the updates! I now have ALL of my gear and am very happy with it:

Mask: Scubapro Clear VU 2
Fins: Scubapro Twinjet
Snorkel: Aqua Lung Technisub
Boots: Scubapro Boots
Wetsuit: Scubapro 3mm
BC: Scubapro Nighthawk
Regulator: Scubapro MK25 first stage / S555 second Stage
Computer: Scubapro (UWATEC) Aladin Prime 3

two posts later...

Fish Janitor:
Stop - dont buy gear. That is not wise...

Man! That's what I was gonna say! It seems like I always find these threads after it's too late! OK, never mind. At this point this thread may still provide a service to other newbies.

Here's my two cents:

I bought all my gear pretty early. I tried to wait and learn as much as I could before spending the money, but I wanted my own stuff. I knew I was taking a risk, and I had some winners and some losers. Now I'm not making as much money, and it's going to be harder to replace the pieces I don't like. Looking at your selection of gear, I see several items that are on my wish (or at least possibilities) list, so good for you. For me the main points are you got Scubapro regs from a shop so you can get a deal on service, and you got a back-inflate BC instead of my hated jacket-style.

In answer to the question about what order to get gear:
1. Regs - mainly just for peace of mind (that thing goes in your mouth, ewww!)
2. Exposure suit - I think it may take less time to figure out what you want with this item, and proper fit is important
3. Computer - wait until you have some experience planning the dive and diving the plan with tables
4. BC - hopefully you will have tried (on actual dives) all the different types before you decide. I thought I knew what I wanted, but now I'm sorry. I put BC last because that's the item I'm most unhappy with now, even though it seemed OK at first.

But most importantly, WAIT as long as you can! Experience is more important than gear - spend your money on classes and dive trips and hopefully you'll know what you want before you buy gear.

I have read a lot of replies How ever buying gear is of course your choice. it offers opportunities that renting does not if you invited on a pick up dive at the spur of the moment you don’t have to worry about finding a place to rent from which is not a big deal, most of the time unless its late or real early. Promoting the sale of dive gear as a instructor is part of what I do. But the choice is yours and yours alone. With that being said if you are ready to buy gear buy the best you can afford from a reputable dealer authorized to sell and service what you buy. Servicing once a year is about 45 dollars a year which is not a great expense. When you do decide to buy equipment start with life support first, First stage, Reg, Octo, and your dive computer cluster, this is only my opinion. Life support first the rest as you can afford it but buy the best you can afford when you buy you will thank your self later.

jbichsel:
First let me say "Don't buy yet!"

1 - Regulator. It's yours, you know the maintenence done, care, cleaning. Buy this from your LDS to ensure there are no warranty hassles. You will most likely get it serviced/repaired at the LDS and they will be appreciative that you bought it from them. Just make sure your getting a good deal.

2 - BC or BP/wing. Same main issues as regulator. In my estimation, not as critical to buy from LDS, but nice to support them.

3 - Wetsuit. Buy from the LDS where you can try on, get fit it you need to order. However, if they can't cut you a good deal, buy online.

4 - Camera & housing.

5- Dive Computer. By the time you get around to this, you should have plenty of practice with tables and have a good idea in your mind of where you should be, when you should be there. You will have choices of air integrated (take the place of your SPG for air pressure), non-integrated, air only, air/nitrox, air/nitrox/trimix. It can be confusing. But you will also have an idea of what types of diving you will be doing and/or moving into. It would be a pity and expensive to buy a computer now that was air only and then in six months decide you want your Nitrox cert.

6 - Tank(s). These you can rent easily. But after time, you may want your own for peace of mind, ability to dive when the LDS is closed, spur of the moment. If you buy new from the LDS, chances are your can get a years free air fills.

Remeber, your LDS is where you will probably be spending more time and money on training and training is not how they keep the lights on and the compressor running. Those compressors, filters, rent/mortgage, electricity, insurance, employees, etc. all cost money. It's nice to have a place to get air fills.

Above all, take your time and enjoy. Don't rush into buying stuff just yet. Rent for a bit, get comfortable with what kind of diving you want to do and what gear you want to buy.

There's a lot of good information in this post, but I do disagree with some of it.....personally, I recommend someone who plans on continuing to dive to get their exposure suit first....if you use a wetsuit, why do you want to dive in something someone else has already peed in....sorry, not me.
Second, I buy my regs......familiarity breeds confidence, and having your own reg, something you have had serviced, and/ or put your own "Sea-Cure" mouthpiece on just feels comfortable, and makes you feel better in the water.
Third, I get the BCD....again, it's life safety, and knowing it's condition and how it's treated just adds to the comfort level in the water. While you're diving in your own wetsuit and/or reg, try a few different BCDs. I currently own 3, and am buying either a transpac or a BP, and wish I had done that a couple thousand dollars ago. Try a few and find what you like before buying. A good LDS has a few different models in their rental dept.
Next, get the computer. Again, safety is all about familiarity, so get your own computer that you get used to. Having said that, don't forget your tables, as 'puters do die on dives, and knowing your tables could save your ASSS. I have glued a set of the dive tables to the back of my console, just as a back up to my 2 computers.
I honestly believe no one should be getting into the water with a camera, unless they have mastered the basic skills and have a few dozen dives under their belt, so that should go to the bottom of the list.
Of course, this list cost you nothing to read, and is worth just that....nothing. This is just my opinion as an experienced diver. You'll read many other opinions in this thread, and in the end, read them all, think it through, and make your own decision. Untimately, it's your choice, and your life.
Dive safe and Often,
C-Dawg

I believe that it is important for a new diver to buy gear that all of us long time divers would like to have if they stop diving... That way, if they keep diving, they have good equipment, and if they don't, we get the chance to buy it cheap... sounds like a win-win situation....

Rent everythig your LDS has at least once before you buy. With the Wheel you can hang with the Computer folks mostly. and $50 is MUCH cheaper and reliable than $400 If your battery dies, or your computer goes awery you are out of diving fr at least 24 hours. Whith a Wheel you never have that problem. Personally, I bought the Wheel before I finnished my OWD class, I used the wheel instead of the RDP unless the numbers were off because the wheel can sometimes be more conservitive.

Get your basics required for the class + Gloves, booties, hood (I have found that my LDSs do not rent these. I went with 5mm since your extremities chill first so thicker is better on fingers and toes.

Get your wetsuit www.tommydsports.com (comparable comfort wise to the hyperstretch that is so big these days) and a fraction of the price.
Skins (Lycra) help get your wetsuit on and off and protect against Rash. I picked up a Long sleeve top and shorts for 24 bucks at Wal-mart.

Wheel, Compass, Slate, other little gadgets you will need (you can clip these on anything with a D-Ring)

Brass Couplings (Home Depot) these you will find are just helpful to have around I even keep 2 climbing Carabiners To attach a folding knife, Slates, Wheel, etc. . .

test out as many regs as you possibly can durring your class. Every pool session try a different setup, You may like a large Regulator, you may like a small one
**Computer or no computer that is the question.**

BCs Like the reg try on as many styles and names as you can then you can decide what you like, not buy what someone else likes or gets paid more for

I am kind of hating not having my own tanks right now. but then I go diving about every 2 weeks and recently every weekend. Kind of makes me wish I would have gotten those sooner. But then again if you don't dive that often then they aren't worth the price and upkeep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom