New diver question? how to find dive partners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks UWxplorer,
I understand that solo diving takes lots of dives and extra training. I was not planning on going out by myself. I am taking more classes I did advance and nitrox and am going to do deep, wreck and night. Thanks for everyones input.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2013 at 10:52 AM ----------

Lake rawlings requires you to have a buddy to get to the lake but I will hit up some local areas and see if I can find some people thanks again all

Look at meetup.com and see if there is a scuba meetup in your area. There is one here in indiana that dives once a month or more.
Divebuddy.com might help.
Look in the regional forums here on scubaboard and ask around. Someone should take you diving, then you can start to meet others.
While asking around, find out if there is a local facebook group for divers. There are 4 or 5 groups here in Indiana area. This is the easiest way. Just post a date you want to go diving and ask if anyone else is going and if they want to dive with you. As you dive with more people add them to facebook and your list of potential buddies will continue to grow.

1 thing though. Be very honest and forthcoming with your level. Don't try to pretend you know more than you do. People will dive with you more often if you are honest.

Great question! I had the same problem years ago, how to find a buddy. At that time the internet was not a prolific as now, and I did a search. Wha-la! I came across ScubaBoard! I joined the regional form, and started posting dive trips. I have an advantage because of location, but I invited people to join me. Soon, I was diving a lot. It didn't take long for others to do the same and I was joining others too. meetup.com is also a good place to find dive groups, as is your local dive shop. And of course, if you travel, even just a state or two away, check out that regional SB forum for activities.

I met my 1st dive buddy here on SB and have been diving with him for 4 years and have met other dive buddy's while diving with him /through his other buddy's .and have gotten some through the dive shop /charters I have used . I have also found other divers to dive with when I made a group (Lake Lanier Divers ) on Face Book. Here is a link that shows some dive clubs in your area Scuba Diving Clubs - Virginia
good luck and welcome to SCUBA BOARD and the world of diving

The best advice here is to find a local dive club. Someone else mentioned Lake Rawlings earlier. Also, just south of you as you know is the Outer Banks. There are plenty of dive shops there that have monthly club meetings. If you can get to as many as possible. You will make a lot of new dive buddies.

It's finally spring. You find anyone yet? I own my gear and recently have found myself with a lot of free time... I have OW, OWA, EANx, and First Response. Going through Rescue in May. I'd love to log some dives at Rawlings, or anywhere... PM me or reply here.

Pete

Depending on your budget some of the boats off the NC coast do good lower level dives. $40-$50 will get you a DM guide for the first few dives.

I have gone to Rawlins once and was able to get an instabuddy but that is risky. Most divers there are paired up.

It is further for you but there are lots of us that dive Fantasy Lake north of Raleigh from time to time. If you post over on NC Divers that you are interested in diving there on Day X and almost always you will find somebody to dive with. Somebody might also be game for going to Rawlings. But I save Rawlings for late summer when Fantasy Lake viz drops and when the wind is blowing at the coats.

RAD Divers on Facebook also has a lot of folks who dive FL.

Back
Top Bottom