New Diver , Next steps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevite

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All
I am in the process of getting my OW certification. I'm really enjoying the class and and can see myself being a regular recreational diver. A couple of questions:

1) Where would be be good places / dive shops for that first dive after certification ( US, Caribbean Mexico)

2) How does one become a "better" diver? I imagine that after a a certain number of dives in the same environment you become as comfortable and good as your going to get in that environment. How do you step out of that comfort zone and challenge yourself in a safe way knowing that you're really not that good or experienced?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing all of your replies

A.) Congratulations!
1.)There are many places all over the world to dive. Most prefer temperate areas with clear water. Like Florida, Mexico, Caribbean, Philippines ... Being from Albany you could also dive the Great Lakes @Marie13 or Lake George.

2.)Simple answer is to dive a LOT. The more you dive the better you become. There are also multiple avenues of education and training out there. Do some diving and find what interests you, then take some more classes pertaining to that subject.
3.)I find that having a dive buddy local to myself makes it much more enjoyable. It is nice having a friendly reliable face there when I am diving. We push each other to be better and we understand each other's strengths and weaknesses. Not that there is anything wrong with pairing up with a stranger.
4.)There is a regional sub on this forum. Look at United States> NorthEast> NY. There you will find local events and people to meet.
5.)Visit your local dive shop, get to know the people that work and frequent the place. This is where you will learn all about different gear and configurations. As well as local sites. You don't have to get along with everyone at the shop. But it helps to be friendly towards the person filling your tanks and the owner.
6.)Welcome to the site. If you have questions we have answers. Some answers you will like, some you won't. It is the internet. And everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Have fun! Dive safe!

Welcome to the underwater world.

In addition to what swimlikeafish mentioned, I would also suggest joining divebuddy.com. You can find lots of divers local to you and the have tons of information on dive sites around the world.

And by all means, dive, dive, dive. As you supposed, that is by far the best way to get more comfortable in the water and to hone your skills. Work on your trim and buoyancy. But above all, have fun. If it's more like work than fun, you're not doing it right.

Hello All
I am in the process of getting my OW certification. I'm really enjoying the class and and can see myself being a regular recreational diver. A couple of questions:

1) Where would be be good places / dive shops for that first dive after certification ( US, Caribbean Mexico)

2) How does one become a "better" diver? I imagine that after a a certain number of dives in the same environment you become as comfortable and good as your going to get in that environment. How do you step out of that comfort zone and challenge yourself in a safe way knowing that you're really not that good or experienced?

Your specific questions:
1. Anywhere. Just dives lots, in lots of different places, with different people.
2. Dives lots, in lots of different places, with different people. Take instruction. Read.

In general:
  • Dives lots, in lots of different places, with different people.
  • Consider Bonaire...easy to do 20-30 dives in a week.
  • There are multiple ways to do almost everything in diving, so beware of the person who says there is only one true way.
  • Try out different equipment; rental is one way to do this. Swapping out with a buddy is another.
  • Be prepared to spend some money. It is not a cheap hobby, but then most aren't!

So, focusing on the "how do I get to be a better diver"....

Good advice above. No substitute for lots of diving and learning from other divers. You'll never stop learning.

In terms of things I would advise a brand new diver to focus on in order to improve:

1. Buoyancy. The ability to comfortably control your depth and remain neutral is the single most important skill to develop. It's a safety issue, obviously. But also, good buoyancy skills will significantly reduce your gas consumption, give you much greater comfort and free you up to enjoy the dive. Much like riding a bike: when you first learn, you spend the whole time just trying not to fall off, but soon it becomes natural and you can actually start to look around and enjoy the ride. So, getting to the point that buoyancy control is natural and subconscious is a key goal.

Without getting into details that take us off track, figure out how much weight you really need (many OW students are purposefully overweighted for class) and as you get more comfortable you'll almost certainly need less weight. Unnecessary weight complicates everything. Work on learning to hover at a constant depth without sculling or finning and get used to the effect of your breathing on your buoyancy. Stop moving entirely and see if you start sinking or floating, then get neutral and then learn what it feels like to swim that way. This will become second nature before you know it, but if you can focus on this as a priority for your development now, it will come much faster.

2. Keep notes, in your log or otherwise, after every dive about what you feel you could have done better, or if you are having some gear issue. When I started out, and every time thereafter that I changed configurations, I made a point of trying to identify the one, two or three things that really bothered me most about a dive or series of dives, and then fix it for the next time either through practice or tweaking the setup.

Eventually, as you fix things one by one, you'll find that there's either nothing left, or what is left is really trivial. Especially in the beginning, it is an iterative process.

3. That said, measure twice and cut once. Don't go crazy on buying gimmicky gear, for example. There is tons of garbage out there, or at least stuff that is not generally necessary. Focus on gaining some experience and nailing down the fundamentals. There's tons of good information out there generally, and on this board specifically. But, you''ll have to learn to judge for yourself and separate the wheat from the chaff and only experience will let you do that.

4. To your comment about challenging yourself. That doesn't have to, and shouldn't, involve risk or "raising the stakes." At this stage, you will learn far more in the first 30 feet of water, where buoyancy control is more challenging, than on deeper dives.

Challenge can be learning to do all those skills you're practicing mid-water, rather than on a platform, seeing if you can learn to hover in place for minutes at a time, nailing your buoyancy so you're not carrying one extra pound of lead, learning to use a compass underwater and follow a course to find the next point of interest in the quarry, teaching yourself how to frog kick rather than flutter kick, or how do a helicopter turn. Take an extra 2 or 3 lb weight (more later) with you and put in on the platform. Figure out how to pick it up, swim the edge of the platform and put it down while staying neutrally buoyant. Practice holding safety stops without having to grab the line, etc. Those are the challenges that will make you a better diver right now.

Hello All

I vote for cold water diving. More challenging than the warm stuff, but it makes you a better diver. It’s easier for a cold water diver to dive the tropics than the other way around. I regularly dive in conditions that would send the warm water folks screaming into the night. The quarry was 45F at 47ft on Sunday. Wetsuit, not dry.

Plus you don’t get good at diving with one or two trips a year. That means diving locally. If the water is cold, so be it. I dive from early April through November. Wet, not dry.

I’m a Great Lakes wreck or nothing diver (local quarries too). I’ve got 110 dives in 18 months and I’ve not hit warm (salt) water yet. My one taste of warm (fresh) water was 74F last summer in Lake Michigan and it was TOO warm. But I’m something of a polar bear and a number of people here agree that I’m a freak. :D

Congratulations.

1) Wherever you can. Diving is awesome.

2) I think that there is a lot of truth to the "dive more" approach. It also depends on your local situation; my LDS has a fairly streamlined OW->AOW->Master Diver course layout in terms of getting the training and dives to become a more versatile, skilled diver. That is a good approach if it's available. Then there is the dive, dive, dive, read, dive, dive approach. That goes nicely with anything, really. Work on buoyancy, work on trim, work on buddy skills, work on using an smb, work on streamlining your kit, there is a lot that you can practice to improve. Just don't go nuts. Divers shouldn't overload themselves on a dive with too many tasks, and new divers especially shouldn't. There are some good diving books to help improve your skills too. There is a thread with diving books you can search for. But right now, you don't know what you don't know, and you will find out a lot faster by doing some diving than doing some reading. Because there are just too many things to work on. So pick one and have at it. And then the next, and so on. Good luck, and whatever you do, have fun and be safe.

I would also add to the above - watch other divers and don't be afraid to ask questions. We divers tend to love talking about diving almost as much as we love diving itself!

Watch the good, the bad and the ugly - then decide which you want to be. By being more of a thinking diver you will tend to improve quicker. See someone diving in great trim with good buoyancy control - ask them if they have any tips. See someone with poor trim or buoyancy control - make a mental note of what they are doing (or not doing) and not to be that diver.

Analyse a dive after you come out - what did I do well, what did I do badly? Chat to your buddy (especially if they are likely to become a long term buddy) and see what they have to say about your dive. Look at your log and see if you were sawtoothing (up and down all the time) and check your SAC/RMV. I know I have a tendency to start a dive breathing harder than I need to but relax a few minutes in - I need to work on relaxing more on the surface pre dive.

WRT the ugly diver - some of us have no choice in that department (but we can still strive to be better divers).

I'll echo what others have said - go dive! if you can get a full week in with 3 or 4 dives per day (5 if you include a night dive), your skills and general sense of ease will increase exponentially. I dove for almost 3 years before getting my AOW as I didn't really have a need for it. Try going on a ScubaBoard Invasion/Surge - that's where I learned probably the most & fastest by seeing what diving was supposed to really look like. I got my Nitrox cert (for free) and took a Trim & Buoyancy class (again free) on those trips - did get my AOW on another one but that one was at cost and was fit into our regular dives so was basically painless other than doing the course work. The thing is - find good divers and go diving with them. Even if you aren't collecting certs - it doesn't mean you stop learning. Practice your skills, learn new ones on every trip if you can. Search the web for GUI/DIR and watch their videos. Might not be your cup of tea (koolaid) but they do things for a reason and the reasons are hard to deny.

I admire the cold-water divers and have done a few (coldest 45F on the Chester Poling in July), but my advice would be to start "warm" and in good visibility, and get comfortable with buoyancy, dive planning, watching your gauges, making your air last longer.
Then after that, try the cold stuff closer to home, you'll have more confidence and less task-overloading than if you start out in the cold stuff.

I started mostly "warm"--Florida springs, Destin, then the Flower Gardens in September. Took AOW and Rescue. Then I did some more cold dives up in New England, after I had 50 dives or so.

Okay, I did do a couple of summer dives early on from Cape Cod--Woods Hole, Sandwich, Barnstable. Pretty cold, and the dives didn't last long, vis not that great. Yeah it built confidence, but I'd rather build confidence in the warm stuff first, then it's less of a stretch for the more rigorous North Atlantic stuff.

Back
Top Bottom