New diver looking for options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off I have less than 10 dives.

As for BCD I went with the Scubopro Go. I'm happy with the choice but have read on here the negatives about the Air II. This is the setup I went with regardless.

I like the idea of the Scubapro mk21/s560 but other than that totally clueless on good options.

That reg will work fine, actually just about any reg would as well. There's no real reason to avoid unbalanced 1st stages simply because you're using an air2. The 2nd stage part of the air2 is very similar to the R190-type unbalanced SP 2nd stages, which have been paired with the unbalanced MK2 for decades.

I would strongly suggest getting a longer-than-standard hose between your first stage and primary 2nd stage. This is because you will be donating your primary in any air sharing situation, and breathing off the air2. If you use a short primary hose to do this, you will soon learn how problematic that is. With a longer hose, you have much more room to comfortably share air. I use a 5ft hose in OW, and many people seem to like a 40" hose with a 90 degree elbow.

Since you are a very new diver, I would suggest that you really practice air sharing on every dive until it's 2nd nature. This is especially true with the air 2 because it complicates buoyancy adjustments during air sharing. But in reality every diver should practice air sharing drills just like cave divers do before each dive. It can make an unexpected situation much less stressful.

That reg will work fine, actually just about any reg would as well. There's no real reason to avoid unbalanced 1st stages simply because you're using an air2. The 2nd stage part of the air2 is very similar to the R190-type unbalanced SP 2nd stages, which have been paired with the unbalanced MK2 for decades.

I would strongly suggest getting a longer-than-standard hose between your first stage and primary 2nd stage. This is because you will be donating your primary in any air sharing situation, and breathing off the air2. If you use a short primary hose to do this, you will soon learn how problematic that is. With a longer hose, you have much more room to comfortably share air. I use a 5ft hose in OW, and many people seem to like a 40" hose with a 90 degree elbow.

Since you are a very new diver, I would suggest that you really practice air sharing on every dive until it's 2nd nature. This is especially true with the air 2 because it complicates buoyancy adjustments during air sharing. But in reality every diver should practice air sharing drills just like cave divers do before each dive. It can make an unexpected situation much less stressful.

This is all great advice thank you. I will definitely be getting a longer hose. Will be practicing as well. Still convincing my dive partner in crime to buy some gear so me and him can start making the Texas rounds.

Back
Top Bottom