New diver looking for good used gear on Maui.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emtking

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Aloha, just got my open water cert in the last two weeks. HOOKED!!
Looking for some champagne used gear on a beer budget. lol
Intro forum responses pretty much told me you get what you pay for with
cheap brand online gear. Anyone heard of Seavenger? Garbage??
I stay west side Maui.
Thanks for having me.:confused:

Which shop did you get your certification thru? You might check with them on used gear. I've picked up several things (wetsuits and regulators mostly) From both Pacific Dive and Maui Dive shop. Maui Dive shop has a used gear section at their main Kihei shop where I've picked up 2 ScubaPro G250 second stage regulators for around $40 each - good breathing regs at good prices. Another option is to shop around the hot deals section here on Scubaboard, it's amazing the deals on new gear various online dealers offer there. btw - if you need a computer, Scubatoys had the Mares M2 for $165 last time I checked (decent nitrox computer) and 123scuba.com had first stage regulators for $60, plus second stages for $65 (all beuchot IIR) For BC's you can order a really nice BP/W from Deepseasupply.com for around $460 or an inexpensive Vest BC from scubal for about $169 scubaL.com - Scuba Gear and Diving Equipment Store

I've never heard of Seavenger - do you have a link for them?

Pacific Dive has been the least expensive place I've found for basic SPG's - nice glass and brass ones for around $60 (nice folks in there too)

For things like a compass you might even look at the salvation army in Lahaina, I've got friends who have gotten some great deals there on used gear.

Hope that helps ya' out - welcome to Scuba :)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. be sure you check out the buddy book at Pacific Dive - several locals that dive frequently are listed in there. Ask Arty or Piper about it :)

Kidspot, thanks for the reply. I got certified thru B&B in Kihei. It's so overwhelming trying to figure out what is a good deal and what is not. I've gotten all different opinions. Some say "buy only new". Others think like me that buying good quality used gear is fine. I really appreciate your time on this. Here's the link for the Seavenger BCD. "Looks" like a good piece, but am unfamiliar with it. Buoyancy Compensator - Imperial w/ ABR integrated weight pocket - IST - Buoyancy Compensators BCD - Scuba diving
Will keep searching. Thanks for the tip on the hot deals here. I loved buying 'open box' items from Best Buy back in MI. Got some smokin' deals that way.
Aloha, Dave

B&B is a good place to deal with - I just spoke with Brad on the phone this morning, he and Blesi have become friends as a result of Scuba - and I've done much of my training with them.

The Seavenger looks like a decent BC. Unfortunately it looks like the link I posted to ScubaL is no longer doing business :( ... I would prefer a used BC to used Regulators for what it's worth - so shop around craigslist on Maui and see what comes up. If you can find a back inflate style BC I think you'll find it more comfortable than the seavenger.

Ask Blesi at B&B to let you know if they have any rental gear they are selling off - lots of shops do that - it will be recently serviced and in good working order, just scratched up and faded.

If you make it to Oahu drop me a line and lets see about getting a dive in together.

Aloha, Tim

Both Hawaiian Rafting Adventures and ScubaShack sell off their ex-rental gear that's been used only on the boats for some pretty good deals, and they both use decent equipment, IIRC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom