New Diver looking for Clearwater, FL advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, This October, I'll be visiting my father who lives in Largo. Can anyone recommend a good dive operation in the Largo/Clearwater area for a newly OW Certified diver (June 2013)?

While I will get some shore diving in off Rhode Island, this trip to Florida will probably be my first time diving off a boat and I'd like an operation that works well with beginners.

Thank you!
Faith

Narcosis in Tarpon Springs. Let them know you are a newbie, and they'll let you know if their plan is appropriate on a given day

It's a little drive but Blue Water Explorers in Cortez Bradenton is a great place for a new diver. Lots of interesting sites, a very easy boat to get in and out of. And a very friendly/helpful crew.

I used to go out with Tanks-a-Lot a fair amount, but that was a year ago or more and they've changed captains and DMs since then. They're still probably the best known outfit out of Clearwater proper, and thus more likely to get enough bookings to actually go out (weather permitting). I've also heard good things about Tanked Up in Palm Harbor and Capt. Earl and his boat the Wet Yet.

Some hold, and I would not disagree, that the Atlantic side diving is enough superior to make it worth the 3 hour drive over to Jupiter Beach/West Palm Beach. Jupiter Beach Dive Center and Scuba Works are both good outfits out of Jupiter that are good with beginning divers. You might also look in the Florida area of the Regions Specific part of the board (this thread is likely to get moved there anyway).

Thank you for the suggestions. As my primary reason for the trip is to visit my father, traveling outside of the Greater Tampa area isn't really an option. I did post this in the regional forum, but after 40 looks and no suggestions, I thought I'd have better luck here. :).

One more question, I'll be visiting Oct 24-28th. Being from New England, Im used to seasonal operations, is this the case in Clearwater or will the boats go out this late in Oct?

Diving is year-round. Slows down in the winter when both the water and air get colder, but there's always some diving. It's still warm late October (particularly by NE standards), and it's the very end of hurricane season, so diving should be pretty good (although visibility may be down some). Winds can come up any time of year and blow out a day (or several days). If that happens there are also springs and sinks north of Clearwater -- still a little bit of a drive but since there's no boat to go out on, time from leaving the front door to getting in the water isn't that much different. Best known are probably Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, Paradise Springs and the ballroom at Ginnie Springs. These are overhead environments, but are commercially operated and deemed safe for OW divers. Hudson Grotto and Weeki Wachee Springs are close, but Hudson is primarily a training site (would not recommend for a recreational dive) and Weeki Wachee is only open to groups associated with a shop. There's also the Rainbow River drift dive which I've never done but have heard is fun.

Some hold, and I would not disagree, that the Atlantic side diving is enough superior to make it worth the 3 hour drive over to Jupiter Beach/West Palm Beach. Jupiter Beach Dive Center and Scuba Works are both good outfits out of Jupiter that are good with beginning divers. You might also look in the Florida area of the Regions Specific part of the board (this thread is likely to get moved there anyway).

Couldn't disagree with you more.

If this is the case then why do my buddies from Miami always want to come here to dive??? The gulf has some of the best and most consistent diving in the world, with large areas of sand and only small areas for life to concentrate, it makes for truly wonderful diving.

Blue water is cool and all but no fish is madness if you ask me, you can go anywhere over here and see huge amounts of fish... HUGE!! If you drop on the dan any day, bait schools will literally black out the sun, 1000lbs jew fish suck gag groupers off your shafts, 100lbs jacks circle, nurse's eyeball and bulls charge. Flounder, hogs, hammers, grays, reds, blacks, cobia, cuda, wahoo, kings... we have it all, on every trip out, and my buddies from 305 go entire dive days without seeing fish.
:shocked2:

If you want consistent blue water and maybe fish go Atlantic, if you want consistent fish and maybe blue water, dive the gulf.

Hudson Grotto and Weeki Wachee Springs are close, but Hudson is primarily a training site (would not recommend for a recreational dive) and Weeki Wachee is only open to groups associated with a shop. There's also the Rainbow River drift dive which I've never done but have heard is fun.

We used Beach City Scuba to arrange a trip there, just my son and myself, and we had a great time, so it is a good option. I know the op asked about boat dives, but this is a great option for inexperienced divers, as you will have a guide. -edit- And it's 1 hr north of Largo/Clearwater, so it's close.

Ditto on the Rainbow River recommendation as well, it looks like a great time, and if all goes as planned, we will be drifting on it this Sunday.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom