New Diver Lobster Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asiannoodle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I am still new to diving and want to learn how to dive for lobster in socal. Any divers have tips on any boat trips that would give a new diver good expierence and maybe get his first bug.

Thanks

I am fairly new myself, and have interest in Lobstering and spear-fishing also, but I think it's prudent to get a bunch of dives under my belt first. If you do go the one thing I do know is to be really cognizant of your air...as you can get really focused on your hunt and run yourself into trouble if your not real careful.

I agree I feel I will need to do some more dives. I was reading some other posts though am came across this thread from a local dive shop near me that has a class and weekly trips starting Oct 2.

Thanks

Once you get more dives under your belt, I'd give The Great Escape a call (diveboat.com) They're docked in San Pedro harbor. I've had a great time on their trips to Catalina and such. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be on that vessel for season opener in 12 days. It is very easy to lose track of your air consumption when on the hunt for bugs, so stay safe!!

I have heard some close call stories from friends that were wearing 120 and did not watch gauge till last 300 psi...I am going to also shop for a pony bottle to stay safe.

The biggest thing I can say is just to practice. Get those dives in and get comfortable in the water. The first couple times you try for lobster, go with a buddy(s) who are experienced at it and listen to their pointers.

Keep little things in mind when planning your dive that your air supply will probably get used up faster based on the fact that you are going to breath a lot harder and faster when you are all excited and working to grab your critters. So, just because you've been in 40 feet of water for only 20 minutes, it's quite feasible that you may actually be out of air already. :wink:

Also, be aware that it's dark, getting your bearings can be a challenge without the sudden excitement of chasing your bug around or mucking about a hole trying to get your prize. Take some time to make a dive or two in the area you are going to hunt before the season opens to familliarize yourself with the site.

But mostly, just keep aware of your basic scuba skills and have a great time!

I know that Truth Aquatics does some trips during lobster season for lobster diving. We've been with them during the off season, so no lobster for us, but had an amazing time just experiencing the Channel Islands. Someone on our trip even caught 8 scallops over 3 days and shucked them on the boat. The boat is great and the food is great, the sleeping accommodations are just okay, but if you are fine with camping, you'll be fine in their bunks.

Just be sure to get a fishing license before the trip and make sure the dive site you're in is approved for taking lobster from. I'd think on a lobster-specific trip, they'd only dive those sites, though :)

Well I am still new to diving and want to learn how to dive for lobster in socal. Any divers have tips on any boat trips that would give a new diver good expierence and maybe get his first bug.

Thanks

I'd say learn how to dive real well before chasing lobsters.

It ain't as easy as it seems to be, and it could be downright dangerous if you swim too far away and get caught in current. Or run out of air because you got caught in bug fever and forgot to monitor your gauge. Also most lobster runs are night runs because that's when lobsters come out to feed. Otherwise you'd have to dig them out of cracks and crevices with your hands (no tools allowed for California bug hunt).

Just imagine, swooping down on a lobster, catching it, retaining it, gauge it for game size, then put it into your game bag on your side, then go swim around some more. The old hands make it look a lot easier than it really is.

If you fumble with one and scare it off while kicking up and silting out the hunting ground, other bug hunters would not be too keen on your ruining the spot for them.

So, dive, dive and dive some more before start to think about hunting.

I have heard some close call stories from friends that were wearing 120 and did not watch gauge till last 300 psi...I am going to also shop for a pony bottle to stay safe.

A pony bottle will not make you safe, only managing your gas properly will make you safe. Pardon my French, but anyone that doesn't look at his SPG till he has 300# is a moron. I learned to dive, back in the day, without an SPG and it is, in my opinion, the most important advancement in SCUBA and I can't for the life of me understand why some divers don't use it.

Find a like minded diver and start training in all kinds of conditions and particularly in kelp to get ready. You don't need a fishing license to go on a lobster day trip and check it out, just don't take any lobsters. And by the way a fishing license bought now is only good till the end of the year.

I'm not good at catching lobsters but I love to go.

Good Hunting

Bob
--------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I don't care if you catch 100 lobsters. If your buoyancy sucks and you're bouncing on the reef, kicking it, grabbing at it, breaking off antennae from lobsters, etc, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT. Like they said, do a lot of dives this year and give it a go next season. Just tag along this season with some experienced divers.

P.S. I'll sell sell ya a 13 cf pony with a mount for cheap. When you run out of air you can surface on it but why would you run out of air? :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom