New Diver injured in training...who is responsible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't walk, RUN to a competent lawyer!!!

Don't talk to PADI, don't talk to the cruise ship, don't talk to people on SB, your ONLY friend and no one else is your LAWYER!!! You should NOT try to guess whose responsibility or who was supposed to do what or what is what yourself, your LAWYER is the person who should know what to do and who to ask and who to blame.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT talk to PADI or the cruise ship company or ANYONE else, your LAWYER should be the one managing the case, NOT YOU!!!

Did I say that you should seek a highly competent lawyer/law firm and NOT to talk to PADI, cruise ship company, instructor or ANYONE ELSE including here on SB??? If I didn't, you should seek a highly competent lawyer/law firm and NOT to talk to PADI, cruise ship company, instructor or ANYONE ELSE including here on SB. Let the lawyer be responsible for the work, not you.

I sent you a PM with the information for a Maritime Attorney that specializes in Cruise lines. He specifically mentions about scuba/snorkeling on an excursion.

People doing things that are DANGEROUS and not taking responsibility when stuff goes badly... I'm very sorry your wife was hurt... I truly hope she gets better...

I'm not a big fan of " Trust Me " anything... I'm a 56 year old guy that has 44 years of scuba diving under my belt, I have 30 years and 2000+ skydives under my belt, I'm a pilot and a Master parachute rigger... The list is long of friends that have been hurt and kill in my life in these sports... The odds of it being anything other then a accident are very, very slim...

Please go and read the accident forum and you will see divers with years and years in the sport with 100's of dives getting hurt and killed... And after that, You want to go chasing after people that only let your wife do what she what'd to do.. Have at it.. That's the new american way....

Again, Good luck to your wife and you...

Jim....

It is hilarious to me the people jumping on the whole "DSD are bad and of the debil!! Don't do it Bobby Boucher!!" That is no different than the people saying to shut a cave down or all of cave diving because someone died. Regardless of the fault being on the diver. Everyone walk back from the ledge a bit and think of everything in the world that would not be allowed anymore due to someone getting hurt, by their own fault or not. I don't have the exact numbers but I am positive there are thousands of DSDs done every year by all the agencies. Lets keep this to the case in hand and not blame DSD in a general term.

She says there were 3 students for the 1 instructor
If there was no pool time, then this is a standards violation.

Do you have a case? In my opinion, oh yes. I'm not a litigious person, but I would be shutting up here and finding a competent lawyer.

From a compensation / medical support point of view you should also check your health / travel insurance.

I know mine specifically excludes DSD, but other products may be different.

I don't know anything about the liability here, but I do think that a properly run DSD class is a good thing, as it gets people interested in diving who might never consider just signing up for OW instruction. Like everything, the devil is in the details. I can easily see a situation where a non-diver at 40 feet had a bit of air added to their BC (OP, that's the part of the dive gear that provides buoyancy). If that happened, someone with no dive experience could easily have a runaway ascent, since you get more buoyant as you ascend. The instructor would be totally responsible for this, IMO, since they need to identify any and all problems for the person doing the DSD.

As for the medical aspects of the case:

Barotrauma injuries are caused by a rapidly developing pressure differential between the gas trapped in a partially ventilated space (middle ears or sinuses) and ambient pressure. Specifically, a pressure differential that can't be equalized in the typical fashion (paranasal sinus outflow tracts or Eustachian tubes). Usually, this is a problem on descent because it's harder to get gas into these spaces than for it to get out, but it is certainly possible to have the differential develop on ascent ("reverse block"). Also, injury on ascent might be more common because of more rapid ambient pressure changes, since uncontrolled ascents are a real thing, while people developing pain on descent usually can slow themselves.

Sinus barotrauma rarely causes any problems beyond a nosebleed. In unusual cases, you could have injury to the eyes (an orbital blowout).

Eardrum perforation is a possible complication of ear barotrauma. Assuming no pre-existing ear disease, these usually heal on their own spontaneously. If they do, hearing often goes back to normal, and the eardrum can be as as strong as before. So maybe the OP won't have to deal with litigation, etc...

If the eardrum doesn't heal, it can usually be fixed by an operation called a tympanoplasty, again resulting in an intact and strong eardrum. Of course, there are some cases where there is permanent perforation or ear symptoms, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

You need a good lawyer and a good doctor. Wavers don't prevent you from suing, they may prevent you from prevailing, but it certainly isn't assured that because you signed a waver you lose. But get the injury looked at by someone experienced in treating these sorts of things asap, Divers Alert Network is a decent source to get suggestions for qualified physicians if you need that.

Eardrum perforation is a possible complication of ear barotrauma. Assuming no pre-existing ear disease, these usually heal on their own spontaneously. If they do, hearing often goes back to normal, and the eardrum can be as as strong as before. .
I had a student get vertigo on descent this fall. He went to an ENT and was told he had a perforated eardrum, and he believes he did it while having trouble equalizing on a dive a few weeks before. That was in the fall. He was diving again with no problems in December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom