New Diver, Going to Cozumel in May; Rent there or before leaving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, but you added a word, and for your example it a contract term for coverage & premiums. For lay discussion I'd still consider it an adventure sport, but that's just my opinion - not important for any reason.

I totally agree. If it isn't a sport what the heck is it. I was sure it would be classified at the higher end of the risk sports.

My comments were meant to show what "they" classify as an adventure sport but scuba diving isn't mentioned anywhere or even considered a sport as far as TravelGuard is concerned.

When I first started buying this type of TG policy I made sure to ask multiple times and multiple reps before I was confident I didn't need to purchase it so I didn't have an issue if or when I needed coverage so they couldn't squirm out of paying the costs.

Congrats from a fellow Fort Worth/Cozumel diver. I have just rented gear every trip down there without problems. If there were problems with your dive ops' gear, someone would have spoken up by now. A lot of great points being thrown out there: get DAN insurance, check your own gear on the boat, have fun and don't drink the water!

I'll be down there in July/August. If you like it enough, go back and the first round is on us!

If scuba diving is a sport, how am I supposed to be keeping score and how do you know who wins?

As has been said, you will enjoy the Cozumel diving and Palancar is a good operation. My wife and I stayed at the Aura about a year ago and enjoyed it. We got a ground floor room on the lazy river pool but were offered the opportunity to upgrade to one of the rooms with a private pool for very little money. We opted for the ground floor but after looking at the private pool room, we wish we had opted for that upgrade. Although the food was off menu, we had no problem ordering extra items. My wife ordered lobster and asked for two at dinner...no problem. A nice tip goes a long way. They may charge you a buck or two each day for Palancar to pick you up at their pier so take a couple of bucks on the boat.

If scuba diving is a sport, how am I supposed to be keeping score and how do you know who wins?
Again, adding words your honor: Not a competitive sport.

Again, adding words your honor: Not a competitive sport.

WORD FIGHT!!!!!

Actually, according to wiki: Sport (or, primarily in North America, sports) is all forms of competitive physical activity..

Check with the Cozumel dive op (Dive Palancar in your case?), but equipment is often included in the price of the dive Referral. (Your 4 open water checkout dives.) So, you'd only have to rent gear for dives you do outside of certification dives. In my case, we did the Referral, and then did a couple of fun dives, and then we did the AOW (advanced Open Water) course. We only rented gear for one or two days. Anyhow, check with the dive op to see if equipment is included in your Referral dives.

Off topic, but my short list of first equipment buying is Mask, Computer, Wetsuit, Fins and Snorkel, safety equipment like whistles and surface markers notwithstanding. If you have the money, I'd get the first two right away, and I'd almost suggest a computer first. You want a dive computer no matter what, imho. If you think there's any chance you'll dive with some regularity, I'd buy one before the trip, and learn how to use it. Then, without question, you'll be using the same computer for your whole trip. The first time you do a dive to 62 feet for 41 minutes, you're off the tables, meaning you've done a dive that's over the limit. At 70 feet, you get 40 minutes max according to the dive tables. A computer doesn't assume that you've gone down to 70 feet and stayed for the entire dive. It knows that you did a multilevel dive and credits you for time spent above your max depth. You can get a dive computer for about, or less than, $250. Even if you only dive once a year, I think it's a wise investment.
-Blair

Thanks for all of the advice!
Wife got cold snorkeling in Cozumel a few years ago so we are looking at getting 3/2 wetsuits (not shorties). The ones we are looking at are Neo Sport for ~$90. Dan insurance is high up on my list of things to purchase pre-trip. Saw a Mares wrist computer for less the $200 a few weeks ago at Scubatoys and now that I look again I guess I should have bought it. They still have a few at near $200. Can't stop thinking about the trip, really looking forward to turning off my email and phone and doing some diving!

Thanks for all of the advice!
Wife got cold snorkeling in Cozumel a few years ago so we are looking at getting 3/2 wetsuits (not shorties). The ones we are looking at are Neo Sport for ~$90. Dan insurance is high up on my list of things to purchase pre-trip. Saw a Mares wrist computer for less the $200 a few weeks ago at Scubatoys and now that I look again I guess I should have bought it. They still have a few at near $200. Can't stop thinking about the trip, really looking forward to turning off my email and phone and doing some diving!

We both run 3mil fulls in Coz and its just about perfect for us.

Saw a Mares wrist computer for less the $200 a few weeks ago at Scubatoys and now that I look again I guess I should have bought it.
Is it Nitrox capable? You want to get one that is, either because you'll eventually want that - or if you don't, you can ebay is easier. :D

Back
Top Bottom