New Diver, Going to Cozumel in May; Rent there or before leaving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an older Mares Nemo wide I love and bought the missus and the nephews Mares Pucks which are nice and easy peasy too. My understanding is the Mares use an algorithm that is slightly conservative, more than an Oceanic but less than a Suunto? I don't think you can buy a new Mares that doesn't do nitrox.

Just rent from Dive Palancar. No need to haul rental gear from home and pay for it on travel days. Most dive ops on the island have good, up to date rental gear and usually don't charge much if you are diving with them, I'm sure D.P. can set you up.

we're still renting, because i have not yet figured out what BCD i like...but i do know that i absolutely hate weight belts so we're renting at home just so we can get BCD with integrated weights
we've been going to the same dive shop since we got certified so we are rewarded with lower prices for our loyalty, on the last trip the BCD's for myself and my husband cost us $50 for the week..plus we get to try a different model every time.

Thanks for all of the advice!
Wife got cold snorkeling in Cozumel a few years ago so we are looking at getting 3/2 wetsuits (not shorties). The ones we are looking at are Neo Sport for ~$90. Dan insurance is high up on my list of things to purchase pre-trip. Saw a Mares wrist computer for less the $200 a few weeks ago at Scubatoys and now that I look again I guess I should have bought it. They still have a few at near $200. Can't stop thinking about the trip, really looking forward to turning off my email and phone and doing some diving!

if she got cold snorkelling my advice is to get 5mm wetsuit
we've been diving in Hnederson 5mm for the last couple of years in water ranging from 76-82F and never got cold or hot

Henderson has just announced that all their wetsuits come with 10 years warranty

Two Newbies!
Should we rent the rest of the gear there, or is it likely we can save money renting prior to leaving.

I would consider buying a wetsuit before you go, other than that, rent in Cozumel. You can check to see if the dive op rents computers, if not, maybe bite the bullet and get one of those as well. The simplest wrist computer would be fine, but I bet dive palancar rents computers.

Wetsuit function is all about fit, and rental suits notoriously don't fit. Maybe you can find a sale and get a decent 3 mil for $100-150 or so. It's worth it!

I would consider buying a wetsuit before you go, other than that, rent in Cozumel. You can check to see if the dive op rents computers, if not, maybe bite the bullet and get one of those as well. The simplest wrist computer would be fine, but I bet dive palancar rents computers.

Wetsuit function is all about fit, and rental suits notoriously don't fit. Maybe you can find a sale and get a decent 3 mil for $100-150 or so. It's worth it!

We are looking at Neo Sport 3/2 for $89 from Scubatoys (we are in fort worth so we can try them on). I just hope we are not going too cheap on them and end up regretting it.

My GF and I just returned from Coz. She did her four checkout dives there, took her own wetsuit, which fit great.
She had mask, fins, snorkel, and wetsuit, and used my back up computer, rented the rest of the gear there.
All went very well. Hope it goes great for you too.... Enjoy...

Back
Top Bottom