New Diver Going (proverbially) Head First

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Cosmicist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Alright, yet another new diver introduces themselves! I'm trying to gain experience and I'm taking an Advanced Open Water course next month. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone on here! Any initial threads or advice you can give is welcome, especially on the topics of further education, smart progression, and how to plan your advancement. I'm diving (pun intended) head first (proverbially), as is my style; I'm a voracious researcher and reader, and I'm meticulous. My goal is to eventually (eventually!) move into tech, solo diving, and instruction, but I will not do so until I feel I'm well prepared. Start with the end in mind, right?

There's no need to plan your advancement before you've even tried this hobby out. Relax, learn your basic skills so you're safe and not a danger to others, and then just go diving. If you want to move beyond recreational limits after you've done some diving and refined your skills, then by all means get trained for those. But you may find that looking at pretty fish at 40' for 45 minutes at a whack is plenty for you to enjoy, and if that's the case, you'll have probably saved yourself a lot of money and time.

EDIT: I missed that you said "Advanced" in the course you were taking -- sorry, I thought you were pre-OW.

that's a very broad question but the best answer to all of that is dive, dive, dive. nothing will make you a better diver like more dives.

^^^^ this pratice bouyancy, then practice all your basic while keeping nuterally bouyancy.

Thanks very much for the replies. I noticed in my OW course that buoyancy is much harder than it looks. Good point there.

There's no need to plan your advancement before you've even tried this hobby out. Relax, learn your basic skills so you're safe and not a danger to others, and then just go diving. If you want to move beyond recreational limits after you've done some diving and refined your skills, then by all means get trained for those. But you may find that looking at pretty fish at 40' for 45 minutes at a whack is plenty for you to enjoy, and if that's the case, you'll have probably saved yourself a lot of money and time.

EDIT: I missed that you said "Advanced" in the course you were taking -- sorry, I thought you were pre-OW.

I know myself… and as much as I enjoy looking at wildlife at 40’ or 45’, there’s a lot more I already want to explore and see.

I’ll dive as much as I can and get experience. I suppose that will answer the rest!

Welcome to ScubaBoard, and Howdy! from Texas. Glad to have you aboard! In addition to "Dive, Dive, Dive," I would also recommend finding an awesome instructor, one who is more interested in teaching with an emphasis on safety, than flexing their ego. Then, let that instructor guide you through the advancing scuba education process.

There’s nothing wrong with planning. I had a five year plan. :D

Your location seems to put you somewhere in the middle of the S Pacific Ocean. How's the weather there?

Have fun!

1. Follow the advice above about continuously practicing buoyancy, finding a patient instructor focused on safety, and diving a lot.

2. Respect the limits of your training and experience. Add complexity and difficulty slowly, with appropriate supervision, and after you conduct additional dives in conditions similar to your certification dives to become more proficient at those introductory dives.

3. Make safety the focus of every dive. Never let a secondary objective obscure the primary objective of having everyone return safe from every dive.

Best wishes,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom