New diver, equipment advice appreciated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GL4662

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I'm real new to diving. Just got my Scuba Diver Cert. in Phuket, Thailand, and now finishing up my Open Water certification. I'm located in MN, and the shop that I am going to right now seems pretty heavy on Sherwood and Zeagle. I've read many good reviews about Atomic, diverite, ect so any input/advice would be great! I'm planning on getting all my gear except for the tank, and I plan on warm water diving only, so no freshwater, and definitely none here in Minnesota.

Okay little info about me that I can give is I have a big head.. and wide feet, size 12. Incase this information will help any advice I get.

So far this is what I have:

Fins:
Sherwood Kinesis EX Fin

Found that these are comfy and perfect fit for my foot.

Snorkel:
ScubaMax Semi dry snorkel

Mask:
Sherwood Visualator M-14

Wetsuit 3mm:
Pinaccle

Any input I can get on the equipment I have bought would be great i.e. are there better ones ect.

I would like recommendations on regulators and BCD. I have been recommended the Sherwood Blizzard regulator as one of the best, and one of the few that will solve the "dry mouth" issue.

BCD, I have been recommended the sherwood Avid.

Computer:
Recommeded the Sherwood.

Any advice or input would be great!! Thanks guys!!

Unless you're rich, you're not going to be able to do that much warm water diving. Are you sure you want to invest money into gears that will hardly be used?

Minnesota has a bunch of lakes and it would a shame and a waste that you don't want to take advantage of what the locale offers.

But I'll give you my input in your gear selection:

Fins:
Sherwood Kinesis EX Fin - don't know much about them, but I'm sure they'll work just fine. Learn how to properly kick your fins is more important

Found that these are comfy and perfect fit for my foot. that's half the battle already

Snorkel:
ScubaMax Semi dry snorkel- buy a cheap snorkel, semi-dry is like semi-pregnant, besides you're a diver and not a snorkeler

Mask:
Sherwood Visualator M-14- if it fits your face and your budget then get it

Wetsuit 3mm:pinaccle - I'd recommend custom suits because they cost about the same but specifically tailored for you

Any input I can get on the equipment I have bought would be great i.e. are there better ones ect.

I would like recommendations on regulators and BCD. I have been recommended the Sherwood Blizzard regulator as one of the best, and one of the few that will solve the "dry mouth" issue.if you don't dive cold then the Blizzard is a waste of money, as far as dry mouth issue goes, take your regulator off and let some water in, or hydrate yourself before you dive (do this first). I prefer Atomic Aquatics regulators, but that's just me. .

BCD, I have been recommended the sherwood Avid. - I prefer Dive Rite Transpac BC for the universal fit (which affects performance), the quality and the customer service. Or a backplate/wing in either stainless steel or aluminum. Once you do BPW, you don't go back

Computer:
Recommeded the Sherwood.- I like my Sherwood Wisdom 2. Easy to use, easy to read & interpret. What more do you need?

If your only doing warm water then doesn't make much of a difference what you get personal Prefrence really. I dive ScubaPro/Atomic reg's (S600-G250v-M1) all are great breathers. If you decide to get something to accomodate Both Warm and Cold. I would get a Sealed 1st Stage Diaghram scubapro MK17 or Atomics Version of a Sealed Piston. This way you can dive any waters warm or cold. And they come sealed so Less liekly for contaminents to get inside.

For a BC - I would recomend a Backplate/Wing Something like the Halcyon Eclipse or Diverite Transpac.

Wetsuit- Bare makes great suits and alot off the shelf size's

Fins- Is another personal thing. Some like Splits some like Blades. I own Both Atomic Smoke on the waters and Tutrle Fins. I prefer the turtles.

Computer- Oceanic makes nice computers I have the Proplus 2 which I really Like and the DataMask. My girlfriend has the Nitek Duo which she likes.

How often will you be diving?
How many warm water trips per year?
How many days diving during those trips?

If you're only doing one trip per year and doing a handful of dives, it may not make economic sense to own your own reg. Regs require periodic maintenance. Some regs require annual servicing which costs $75 (excl. parts). FYI, some manufacturers offer a free-overhaul-parts-for-life policy if the original owner maintains the reg at the manufacturer-recommended service intervals.

Thanks guys for the replies.

As far as how often I will be diving, I don't know, I suppose that will vary each year, but so far this year I have plans to go to Belize, Honduras, Hawaii, and Curaco. All in all probably 40 dives this year?

What is different about a BCD that has a backplate? Is it only the Transpac by Diverite and Halcyon that have it? or is the backplate something that can be added to all BCD's? It seems most of the shops by me are big on sherwood and scubapro, so for these other brands, where do you guys recommend I buy them from (online?) ?

I've been interested in Atomic after reading about them, can anyone give me more information on the T2x? Is it worth the price? Also I've heard that the Scubapro S600 is a good regulator how does that stack up against the T2x?

Any input on the Aqualung stuff? I was looking at the BCD's Zuma, and the Pro QD with I3. Also was recommended the Legend X regulator over the S600 and the T2x, because it has the same breathability with the ability to do cold water diving too.

The local dive shop I went to said that Atomic packs a lot of silicon into the first stage making it tedious and expensive come maintenance time?

Thanks.

I can tell you that Scubapro makes a great BC. Been diving them for 19 years. Tried a BP/W a couple of times at a local quarry but found no advantage to them over my Classic Plus BC or a back inflate Knighthawk. Both of these BC's are excellent and would last you for many many years and the quality is excellent. Both can be used for doubles if you decide to dive doubles at some point.

I just purchased an Atomics T2X and without a doubt it is the best reg I have ever owned. Loved my Scubapro reg in the past but the T2x is second to none.

To me fins and mask are just what fits well and is comfortable on you. You can get some that will perform just fine and not pay an arm and leg. I never use a snorkel.

I have a Sherwood wisdom AI computer and love it for the same reasons fnfalman listed. Great computer, large numbers, very easy to use and understand.

I also like the idea of a custom wetsuit.

I'd say just buy stuff that you can have easily serviced and I always like to support my local dive shop when possible. Mine comes very close to matching any price I find online. It may be a few dollars more but its worth it to be to have that good customer relationship with the shop.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the Atomic just easier to breathe out of?

All Atomic regs breathe the same but use different materials for the build. Titanium regs are great for those that couldn't be bothered to rinse them off at the end of the dive. Titanium regs need to be dedicated nitrox or air (there appears to be a non-dedicated one available). If it were me I would deterimine which cost more, titanium or water to rinse my regs with. Maintenance is an expense. Welcome to diving. YMMV.

Dive Rite Transpac's are modular back inflate BCs they do not contain back plates.
diveritetranspactrekwing.jpg

A back plate is a resin/metal "plate" and a "wing" that is sandwiched between your tank. The wing is simply your air bladder similar to the type used on back inflate BCs

3751307870_7fcd0cabba.jpg

Some manufacturers limit retail stores to only one or two products. Scubapro is one of those. They will not be carrying any other BCs so of course they promote them exclusively. Because they have to.

I recommend a try before you buy year for BCs BP/W. Atomic regs are top notch and there aren't very many complaints from anyone about them. Get a computer that is air/nitrox and do some research on liberal/conservative attributes. This is the built in "safety padding" and is sometimes user adjustable dependent on make and model. Dive Rite Nitek Duo is a air/nitrox, relatively conservative and can use two different mixes. Suunto computers tend to be more liberal in my experience.

Thanks guys for the replies.

As far as how often I will be diving, I don't know, I suppose that will vary each year, but so far this year I have plans to go to Belize, Honduras, Hawaii, and Curaco. All in all probably 40 dives this year?

I'd dare say that sort of dive vacation would warrant having your own gears. That way you can get your gears dialed in and don't have to readjust because each shop rents different gears.

What is different about a BCD that has a backplate? Is it only the Transpac by Diverite and Halcyon that have it? or is the backplate something that can be added to all BCD's?

A hard backplate is primarily handy for double-tank mount because it provides for a solid base. However, single tank divers also benefit in several ways:

1. More weight on your body and less on your weight belt/weight pouches - this helps distribute the weight more evenly across your back, and aids in getting you good trim (horizontal body position instead of head up or legs up).

2. Freedom of movement - no jacket or vest to wrap around your body. You have shoulder harness and waist belt that will fit any body style. You also have a crotch strap that keeps the rig from rising up when you're in a vertical position. The whole rig conforms to your body and doesn't wiggle around as much as a jacket style BC.

3. Modularity - you can switch the harnesses out for different types of harnesses. If you want quick adjustable harness, you can put it on. If you want a Hogarthian harness (fixed length, pre-adjusted single piece of webbing), no problem. If you want harness with paddings, no problem. You need a small wing for warm water diving? No problem. Big wing for double-tanks diving or harvesting games/doodads? No problem. You want pouches on your belt? Sure. Don't want pouches at all? Sure. Weight integrated or separate weight belt? Whatever floats your boat.

One plate does it all and the rest are accessories to be fitted and used as needed.

Lots of people make backplates. I just happen to like Dive Rite products (Dive Rite hard plates and Dive Rite Transpac which is a soft plate) but let's make a quick count of BPW manufacturers (I might even miss some): Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, Hollis, Apeks, Freedom Plate, Deep Sea Supply, Oxycheq, IST, Golem Gear. I'm sure that I probably missed at least one or two other smaller and lesser known manufacturers. Some manufacturers allow for a soft plate that can be added with a backplate.

It seems most of the shops by me are big on sherwood and scubapro, so for these other brands, where do you guys recommend I buy them from (online?) ?
Most people get into scuba for once-a-year fun. They don't mind buying gears but most of their gears are not going to be expensive, top-of-the-line gears. Thusly, the shop must stock with they can sell instead of what they want to sell. You can buy these backplate/wing BCs online or you can search for a local shop that sells it.

I've been interested in Atomic after reading about them, can anyone give me more information on the T2x? Is it worth the price? Also I've heard that the Scubapro S600 is a good regulator how does that stack up against the T2x?
The T2X is a very fancy regulator. It's extremely light because of the titanium first stage. You gotta ask yourself if the cost is worth the weight saving. I'm told that the S600 is a great regulator. I just happen to like Atomic Aquatics because they are extremely well engineered and well built, not to mention that they are a specialty shop and not an industry giant. You can call them and get a human being to answer the phone, and this human being (Darcy) is pretty much an expert on all of their gears and not just their regulators. If she doesn't know, then the customer service people will know. You don't see too many scuba manufacturers having owners/presidents visiting the shops and talk to John Q Public divers about their gears.

Any input on the Aqualung stuff? I was looking at the BCD's Zuma, and the Pro QD with I3. Also was recommended the Legend X regulator over the S600 and the T2x, because it has the same breathability with the ability to do cold water diving too.

Aqualung makes good stuff and had been around since Day One (Jacques Cousteau and all that). As far as breathability goes, I'd like to see a laboratory printout between the S600 and the T2X before I'd believe that it is just as good as the T2X. BTW, the T2X has an environmentally sealed 1st stage so it will do cold water diving just fine. There is one caveat about titanium regulators: they can't take high Nitrox contents too well. The T2X is rated up to 40% O2. Other regulators can go higher, for example the Atomic M1 goes up to 80% O2.

The local dive shop I went to said that Atomic packs a lot of silicon into the first stage making it tedious and expensive come maintenance time?
There are two ways of sealing the 1st stage:

1. Pack it with special grease (not your normal silicon).
2. Use a mechanical device or mechanical means.

Pack it with special grease such as Christolube or Tribolube is more expensive because the lube is expensive. Cleaning is not a big deal because Christolube and Tribolube make degreaser for it.

Mechanical devices or mechanical means are less messy but also prone toward failure.

Six on one side and half a dozen on the other.

Atomic recommends 300-dives or 2-years service schedule, and when you send your reg back to their factory for service, they replace a lot of innards AND outside plastics. The reg comes back looking like it's brand stankin' new AND they put the reg on the breathing machine to make sure that it works per specifications.

My dive buddy sent in his ST1 with octo for service and it was spendy - around $250 with shipping. But he got the packed 1st stage which was like $70 for grease & service, and the octo. I sent my B2 in without octo (my Atomic octo only has 1-year in so far) and it costed me $160 (no packed 1st stage) with 2-days shipping AT MY request (ground is cheaper).

If you're not diving cold water, then when you send your reg to Atomic just tell them not to repack and save some money. The beautiful part about Atomic is that your warranty doesn't tie into your service schedule. If a part that isn't suppose to fail yet fail because of design or manufacturing issues, regardless of whether or not you have had your reg serviced at 300-dives or 2-years, they will fix it for you. Other regulators' warranties are tied into their service schedules. If you don't do an annual service and something went kaput? So sad too bad for you.

BTW, Dive Rite is like Atomic. You pick up the phone and call, you will talk to a human being who KNOWS the stuff. Dive Rite staff are all hard core divers. I'm talking about cave/wreck/nasty divers and not your regular plain jane rec divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom