New Diver - Buy or Rent Snorkel Set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpd22654

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My 15 year old daughter and I just got our PADI Open Water Certification and have planned a trip to Divi Flamingo Bonaire for March. Renting all equipment there will cost about 160 each for the week. Thinking about getting a mask, snorkel, fins set (on eBay? at a local dive shop? order on line?) to save a little on rental as we move into buying gear. Appreciate advice!

buying is nice, particularly if you plan to keep snorkeling/diving

for your mask, i'd reccomend trying it on, so that means a local shop. you'll pay
more, but you'll get a good fit. you don't ahve to spend much. my first mask/snorkel
set was something like $25.00 and i used it for over 100 dives. i still have it
as my back-up mask.

(i.e. more expensive is not always better)

as for the fins, you'll face a decision. do you want full-foot (great for snorkeling)
or do you want open-heeled (ideal for diving)?

the advantages of the open-heel fin is that it allows you to wear booties, which
you can use as shoes and walk around the dive site. with full-foot fins, you go
barefoot, so it's a bit of a hassle messing with flip-flops and what not.

also, if you dive in colder water later, booties will keep your feet warmer than
full-foot fins.

whatever package you get for Bonaire, the equipment should include:

1. snorkel
2. masks
3. fins
4. weights and belt (usually provided in the price of the dive)
5. BC
6. regulator and octo
7. console (computer or analog; depth gauge, pressure gauge)
8. at least a shorty wetsuit for exposure protection

is that what you are renting?

My 2 cents:
A lot about your future perception about diving comes from memories from your first experiences/dives. Proper fitting equipment will help improve your experience.

Masks: Your first purchase. Get them at your LDS. If you're posting here you already have good amount of info. Ask the LDS people for assitance to ensure best fitting, Make sure you try a few different models/manufacturers besides what the LDS wants to push to you.
Go for what feels more comfortable, more expensive does not mean better fit.
Ah, and your mask does not have to match your daughter's :) :) (I know it sounds weird, but you wouldn't believe how many times i've seen people getting matching gear at the expense of better fit/comfort)
I'd suggest low volume masks, faster clearing without much effort.

Snorkel: again best fit is critical, since you're newbies you'd probably do quite a bit of snorkeling between dives or in the beach. Mouthpieces look very basic but they can casue a lot of jaw fatigue. That goes for the second stage mouth pieces as well. Again, go for what feels more comfortable.

Fins: I'd suggest open heel. They will serve all purposes. Full foot will work for warm water/snorkeling but as you start diving in colder water or going deeper you'd want to have the termal insulation in your feet.
My current fins have around 400 dives and i don't see replacing them anytime soon.
Fins do not have the critical fitting issue of the mask. So fins online might be OK. With that said, talk to the LDS , they may make a good offer to get all your business.

Good luck with your purchase

CB

I agree with the rest. Go to a LDS and get a mask that fits. Fit is everything, cost and style are all a distant second. If you can, check all the mask in several dive shops. All the brands and styles are a little different and there is a perfect fit somewhere. This is one dive item I would never buy on line unless I am replacing a mask I have used for years with one exactly like it. Nothing will make diving more uncomfortable than a mask that leaks like crazy. These are your first dives. Make them as enjoyable as you can. A poorly fitting mask is a bad way to start.

I prefer simple straight forward snorkles, none of the fancy (and expensive) valves on the top.

For Bonaire I hightly recommend you consider getting HARD SOLED BOOTIES to use with open heel fins. Wheather you rent or buy the fins is not too critical. If you daughter has small feet, she may have trouble finding fins that fit- another reason to take her own. The shoreline on Bonaire consist of coral rubble and ironstone. They are almost impossible to walk on barefoot and there is a lot more chance of having her feet cut. Take it from a Bonaire vet and someone who's has spent an entire week on Bonaire barefoot... I put on booties to dive.

Back
Top Bottom