New dive gear for instructor course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am about to launch into a huge dive gear investment. My life has come to a place where I can now go out and begin working on my dive instrutor license. I have been researching dive gear for a few months now and am looking for come direction.
What would be a good set of gear that I will grow into as I work on my cert.
Suggestions please?

Keep using your old stuff for now.
If you get hired by a shop you'll probably be able to get a keyman (person) discount which usually is less than wholesale.

is there anything wrong with your current gear?

For regs I'd look for a sealed diaphragm first stage and seconds of equal quality. Right now I use a HOG D-1 with two HOG seconds in a long hose configuration for teaching. My students are generally in a conventional set up. There are no problems with having gear different than students when properly explained.

I teach in a backplate and wing or back inflate bc. Specifically for the back inflate the zeagle express tech and in the bpw a HOG 23lb wing and aluminum plate. Both are minimalist amd fully adjustable. I can take them off and allow a student to try them in just a few minutes with minor adjustments. I only use a weightbelt and my suits all have pockets on them. I prefer these configurations as they allow me to quickly adjust to changing conditions, let me use a minimum of weight, and are the types of gear I most recommend. They are generally less expensive than other set ups and are fully customizable. And they fit me. I don't have to settle for a setup that kinda or almost fits.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Agree with Fishpie... I like teaching in the same bcd and reg setup as students, because it makes demonstrations easier for them to process and reinforces the basics... I bring out the really cool stuff for advanced and above, hoseless computers etc... and that helps gear sales when they see whats available really being used, and how it helps in real world diving.

Is your profile correct in that you have less than 25 dives? If so, I wouldn't worry about making sure my gear is the right gear for becoming an instructor.

Please, get gear that fits, is comfortable and works for you -- then GO DIVE and dive in many different situations. Get a LOT of experience and a LOT of experiences. Only then do I believe you should contemplate getting your "dive instructor license."

BTW, at the end of one of my classes, where I was "certified" to use Trimix, the Instructor told me/us -- "Stay out of Cove 2. Go diving and get your a***s handed to you!" Better advice is hard to find.

I second Fishpie's advice. The instructor course is no big deal, and certainly does not require any special gear. A shop that you teach through will probably prefer/require that you use gear that they sell, and because of that, will arrange for great discounts.

Back
Top Bottom