New dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlayne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased two new dive computers. An Aqualung i770r and an i550c. I plan to use the i550c as a backup. I currently have an Aeris Elite T3 and Atmos AI. I am awaiting the arrival of the new computers and am questioning if I should have upgraded at all. I bought both the Aeris DCs in 2006. They work fine except for backlights. I know the i550c is the same model as the Atmos AI with the addition of Bluetooth. I was definitely interested in the Bluetooth capability of the very finicky USB cords of the Aeris models. What do you guys think? was it time to upgrade? I know many will ask why the i770r and not the perdix ai. I wanted the two DCs to have the same algorithm and stay with the same brand. I was also able to pick up the i770r new for $300 less than Perdix ai (a major contributor to choice.) Also, all DCs are ai. I have transmitters for both wrist DCs. I wanted to stay ai. So, let the comments begin!

Purely my personal opinion only and no more.
1. I do not use SW products at all. You are better off with the Perdix than i770r.
2. At least return the i550c and keep the i770r because you already have two ageing dc. Backlight? None of my three ageing computers have it.

For much less money, you could have had VASTLY better dive computers with both hosless AI AND capability to upgrade their firmware for advanced features in the future as you need it from Ratio computers:

I'd return both AL dive computers and get the Ratio DC's.

For much less money, you could have had VASTLY better dive computers with both hosless AI AND capability to upgrade their firmware for advanced features in the future as you need it from Ratio computers:

I'd return both AL dive computers and get the Ratio DC's.
I have no experience or knowledge of Ratio's products. Are they common in the U.S.? I did a small amount of research but found prices to be higher.

I have no experience or knowledge of Ratio's products. Are they common in the U.S.? I did a small amount of research but found prices to be higher.

Not sure of their prices in the US but if you buy from the links I sent you, you will be saving substantial amount of $$. I have been using the iX3M GPS version since 2017 without any issues.

I have no experience or knowledge of Ratio's products. Are they common in the U.S.?
Not exactly. I live in FL, so we have a handful of dive shops on just about every corner. I've heard of Ratio dive computers, but have never actually seen one IRL.

I was curious. According to Ratio's retailer locator, there are about 4 in the state, and clustered in the Tampa Bay area and near Ft. Lauderdale. Not exactly spread out.

Using Shearwater's retailer locator shows over 80 locations in the state. And I don't see a ton of Shearwaters in use by other divers, either, though many recognize them.

I did look at Ratio before buying my Perdix. The retailer locations and the proprietary transmitter on the Ratio were definitely things that pushed me toward Shearwater.

I would agree that running the same algorithm on primary and backup is ideal, but I wouldn't call it a requirement. You definitely want the primary to be more conservative if possible, but should consult both periodically. With the dive computers running Buhlmann with GF, you can easily get that to be as conservative as you need it.

I can't recall which algorithm the Aeris runs, but it's probably DSAT or PZ+. Or perhaps both (though not sure if that was just on the Oceanics). DSAT would likely be more liberal in most situations, and PZ+ is actually Buhlmann based, so you could probably set a GF to match it pretty closely.

I have found that Shearwater Perdix ai comes highly recommended. However, I do not intend to go tec. And the $300 price difference I received on the i770r was definitely nice. I know normally the Perdix ai and i770r are similarly priced. Already owning 3 MH8A transmitters negated that additional cost as they work with both DCs. Another factor for me was the lack of a Shearwater qd ai DC as a backup option. I would love to see an ai model of the peregrine. Also a qd hose connection version for backup. I would go for a dual peregrine setup. One with hose one without. I know I can avoid all that with an spg. I like the backup computer to continue the dive and reap the benefits of calculated gas consumption.

Not sure of their prices in the US but if you buy from the links I sent you, you will be saving substantial amount of $$. I have been using the iX3M GPS version since 2017 without any issues.
Would the VAT not run the actual price up?

Ugh. Hosed computer? Why?!

The Perdix is an excellent computer for ANY diver who wants a good clear and large display. Doesn’t matter a hoot if you’re not going tech. Takes an AA battery you can get anywhere and change yourself.

Shearwater do a hosed computer? Wrist computers are the way to go. No big brick!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom