New dive computer for Divemaster internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why does the OP not ask the instructor(s) he will be interning with what their opinion is?

Maybe it depends on whether this will be in a resort environment, where the dives follow a tight daily schedule, or an environment where the dives are less predictable? From what I've seen in resort environments, a DM's dives follow a predictable daily pattern--day after day they do the same dives, the same surface intervals, etc. I could be completely wrong--I am not a DM--but I doubt most DM interns at resorts or similar predictable dive operations are being put in a position where they will be on the hairy edge of NDLs. The DMs who do these dives every day could probably get by without computers at all, though nobody would dispute it's wise to have them to handle the unexpected. Surely the people who are going to be giving the OP instruction can tell the OP what they do to keep themselves safe, and whether they believe choice of computer makes much difference. I have seen DMs with nothing but a Timex Ironman on their wrists. Maybe not especially wise, but for the daily grind maybe that plus some rules of thumb equals enough to keep most of them from getting bent.

What I am saying is that maybe the OP or others who have made specific recommendations are over-thinking it. Any computer ought to work fine for this purpose. After all, "any computer" is what the people the DM leads are using. I suspect the OP's fellow interns will show up with "any computer," too. So I would suggest using the same criteria to select a computer as anyone else.

A little research with DAN and other organizations that track incidents might sway you away from less expensive computers.

The reason is that less expensive computers lack the cpu power an memory to process multiple compartments in a timely manner. What they do instead is calculate 3 or 4 compartments, then extrapolate for the 12 or 16 they might be using as a part of the algorithm or model they are using. This could lead to a miscalculation in cases where extents are being pushed. Higher end computers have the capability to calculate for all compartments in a parallel manner in a timely manner.

I follow this topic rather closely and have never heard, nor do I believe, the statement above. The DAN Annual Diving Summary was last published in 2010, based on 2008 data. I am unaware of any direct comparisons of dive computer brands or decompression algorithms with regard to relative risk of DCS, including results from DAN's Project Dive Exploration or their larger, combination database.

Could you please supply any references to support your statement, not your anecdotal experience

I follow this topic rather closely and have never heard, nor do I believe, the statement above. The DAN Annual Diving Summary was last published in 2010, based on 2008 data. I am unaware of any direct comparisons of dive computer brands or decompression algorithms with regard to relative risk of DCS, including results from DAN's Project Dive Exploration or their larger, combination database.

Could you please supply any references to support your statement, not your anecdotal experience

I used to read the annual DAN reports all the way through, including the individual descriptions of every fatality for which they had any decent information. I did that for years. I once did a project in which I looked back as far as those reports existed in search of trends. I do not recall a single case in which there was even a hint that a poorly functioning computer was a problem.

Yes, there are cases in which people got DCS while within computer limits. There are also cases in which people get DCS while diving with tables. There have always been unexplained hits. There is no research I am aware of that links unexplained hits to computers in general, let alone a specific brand.

It is currently being tracked and researched, anecdotal is all I have at this time, but Neal Pollack was the one who provided me that data, in person. Call him and ask your questions.

It is currently being tracked and researched, anecdotal is all I have at this time, but Neal Pollack was the one who provided me that data, in person. Call him and ask your questions.

Is there any peer reviewed evidence of this? I can't imagine a large enough sample size to ensure reliability.

Even if a computer extrapolated- how would that alter the data conclusions of a formula (whichever was being used) that result in deco info?

Reference: Personal communication?

You mean Neal Pollock? I have sent him an email and hope to receive a reply.

Reference: Personal communication?

You mean Neal Pollock? I have sent him an email and hope to receive a reply.

Advantage of living in NC, we have personal communications with DAN once a month, more often for pros who teach.

---------- Post added April 7th, 2015 at 08:55 PM ----------

BTW, push Dr Pollock hard enough, he'll tell you which computers he is using and why.

Hi Carlocalde :)

I can definitely relate to your ‘need’ for new gear when embarking on professional diver training! :wink:

Conservative dive computers are not necessarily a bad thing, as a matter of fact you will have a greater sense of SAFE diving, when following a profile according to a computer known for its conservative algorithm. You’ll know for sure you are diving responsibly for both you AND the divers who you are professionally responsible for.
Suunto dive computers are world-renowned for their reduced gradient bubble model and our dive operations’ Kota Kinabalu Dive Shop solely choose Suunto dive computers.

Try to find bundles or combination packages to get value-for-money when you’re investing in dive equipment. Do a little bit of research and enquire on any discounts, such as special discounts just for internship candidates.
Our KK Dive Shop Supervisor offers a discount for any item Go PRO internship candidates of our dive operations premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre want to purchase!
Whether an intern is completing their PADI Divemaster or the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) they can find all they need to successfully complete their performance requirements.

Get a Petrel 2:
1. It is the best Recreational computer on the market, with great customer service, and regular upgrades to the firmware.
2. It is the best Tech computer on the market.
3. It is the best Gauge mode computer on the market (but expensive for a simple bottom timer).
4. The transition from using it in rec mode, to tech or gauge is completely seemless. After doing PADI AOW, Rescue, Deep and Wreck in Rec mode, I took GUE Fundies. This required gauge mode. I simply switched it and hopped directly in the water. No need to review the manual, no head scratching, I was able to run and use it immediately with no problems.
5. I hunt lobsters. I have slammed my arm with Petrel into rock holes as hard as I could going for a bug. Many many times, banging the holy crap out of the Petrel. The thing is a tank, and took the beating with no problems and only minor scratches. The robustness can not be overstated.
6. The easily replaceable AA batteries are awesome, and you can get them anywhere. The cheapest copper tops are actually the lowest cost to use per hour.

And if the LDS you are DM'ing for doesn't sell them, get them to become a dealer.

I would think that, with the increasing popularity of "geezer gas", having a Nitrox-capable computer would be a good thing,

I searched a good bit last year and couldn't find ANY currently manufacturered DC's for sale that didn't handle nitrox. Even the cheapest ones do it now. Unless you're on the market for a used computer, it's going to support nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom