New Dive Club (Phoenix, AZ) Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got another reply from another insurance co.
"Thank you for your interest in our Special Risk Accident & Liability Insurance. Unfortunately, this type of activity is not covered with our carriers. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions."

Also found this in the SB Archives (02-12-2004)
Seadiver5 of Moss Bay Divers:
Do it right and form a legal club as defined by the laws of your state. Run it properly and make sure you get a good liability release signed by each member preferably one for each year and in addition one before each day of diving.

Not charging for membership does not limit your liability and in fact could possibly increase it. Implied is a term you need to worry about because by simply offering a diving opportunity you are implying that certain outcomes will happen and if they don't......

I have yet to find an insurance company that would write a policy for a dive club so that's out unless you know of one and if you do I would sure appreciate it if you would let me know what company that is.

I have begun a consulting company that specializes in creating dive clubs for dive centers and have been actively working at this with shops from all over the world. I built the largest independent scuba club in the Pacific Northwest (Moss Bay Divers) http://www.mossbaydiveclub.org/portal/index.php with over 500 members.

Just in case you think I'm making this **** up :wink:

-Garrett

Hey guys, I was surfing the Web for something completely unrelated to this discussion when I found this Web site. I thought it was great!!!! I decided to post it here.

Enjoy!

http://www.scubalawyers.com/recrediver.html

Follow up removed ... sorry

shark.byte.usa:
I don't know about Great!....how about Greatly Disturbing! :shakehead

Did you notice the f'n lawyer isn't even a diver!!:11:

How about his tagline, "We can help you find out what went wrong." aka "We can help you find out who to blame!"

-Garrett

Great in the sense that it clearly and accurately demonstrates the nature of our country. 1/3rd of our gross domestic product is generated by legal fees. Layman's terms, we are the greatest producer in the world of generating income for lawyers.

There is a lawyer waiting to sue you for any mistake you make. They will warp and twist the facts to line their pockets. That is their training; that is their job. Merely fighting fire with fire is not enough. Think, act and dive defensively!!!

jcf

jcf

Well, I hope you guys are all coming to my Meet & Greet on Sept 19th. Remember, 2 gift certificates to Sport Chalet and another LDS.

I also plan on getting a dive date set up for Lake Pleasant. I'll bring 2 bbq's for grilling. Bring the kids, dogs, it'll be a family fun day in the beginning of Oct. More details to come.

Im not trying to replace any existing clubs or create my own, I just want to try and coordinate so we can get everyone together for various events. I know I like getting out of the house every now and than with new and existing friends.

I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone. :cheerleader:

Well, I hope you guys are all coming to my Meet & Greet on Sept 19th. Remember, 2 gift certificates to Sport Chalet and another LDS.

I also plan on getting a dive date set up for Lake Pleasant. I'll bring 2 bbq's for grilling. Bring the kids, dogs, it'll be a family fun day in the beginning of Oct. More details to come.

Im not trying to replace any existing clubs or create my own, I just want to try and coordinate so we can get everyone together for various events. I know I like getting out of the house every now and than with new and existing friends.

I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone. :cheerleader:

Calles,
I hope you are successfull. I made an attempt to get divers together to dive the lakes/rivers locally on a regular basis and made the mistake of using the C word (club).
After being regailed about insurance problems and legal hoops "and besides NOBODY dives locally anyway", I threw up my hands and went diving.

After I found the Lake Pleasant thread and made a lot of friends I've been diving almost every weekend ever since. It is rare that I don't get to go diving because I couldn't scare up a buddy. There is a great group of folks that dive locally.

Good Luck.

Calles,
I hope you are successfull. I made an attempt to get divers together to dive the lakes/rivers locally on a regular basis and made the mistake of using the C word (club).
After being regailed about insurance problems and legal hoops "and besides NOBODY dives locally anyway", I threw up my hands and went diving.
Actually that was the same problem that seemed to halt the formation of the "club" being discussed in this thread 2 years ago.

And it's one of our frustrations in AZScuba also, to formalize the club we need to get liability insurance which then means a source of funding (dues?) to cover the officers of the club.

Anytime there is an organized event, in this increasingly litigious world, there is a liability issue involved - even with a waiver signed by every diver, every time - their heirs may not feel the same way. Our description "We are an informal group of SCUBA divers..." here reflects that.

The cost of liability insurance means large dues that most people won't pay for organized local dives they can do free at Lake Pleasant with their buddies now. As you do today.

There are just over 200 divers in AZScuba, probably 25% of them are active - even here on SB. I realize we aren't all things to all people but mostly there's a core group of 8-10 who even bother to attend our meetings. So expecting a small group to cover the liability costs so the group can host organized dive events doesn't make a lot of sense - even to me. Assuming you can find someone to write the policy as shark.byte.usa struggled with in post #41.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom