New Dive Club (Phoenix, AZ) Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After some discussion in [thread=168239]this thread[/thread] about local Dive Clubs. I was wanting to gauge the interest in forming a new Dive Club and have some discussion. (If you want to talk about Your dive club this is not the place, click on [thread=168239]this link[/thread] for an appropriate thread.)

As I see it the club would be shop/agency independant and non-profit. Won't matter where you buy your gear from, where you take your classes, who's your instructor, who's your agency of choice, who's your daddy, what your diving Philosophy is, whether you like Caves, Wrecks or Reefs. You get the picture.

Personally I'd like a club that had:

• Monthly BBQs & Lake Dives (on a set day of the month, i.e 3rd Saturday)
  • Monthly Meetings & Socials (not just for happy hour, once again on set day of the month, mixing in some Family Friendly environments)
  • Quarterly(?) Dive Trips (SoCal, Channel Islands, Northern Lakes, Mexico perhaps even the occassional exotic trip, I even know a guy who's got a rental in cave country in Florida. We're divers, we network, let's use those resources to our advantage)
  • No commercial nonsense, leave that to the LDSs and their clubs.
  • Well organized and dependable, you know if you show up at one of the functions someone will be there.

That's what I'd like, How bout you?? Did I mention Diving??

I'd be willing to do my part, as would others, if the interest is here.

-Garrett

P.S. If you don't want to post in here, because of whatever reason, you can PM me.

As long as we don't have to participate in bikini carwashes to fund the club, I'll help how ever I can. Count us in.

I'd be happy to plan dive trips, it's what I do in my free time anyway. I like the once a month lake dives, we'll be up there once a month as it is, probably camping next to these strange folks in a big silver van.:D

Oh, I hope dogs are invited to the monthly lake dives.

hmm, dogs? .. one of the lake dives I did, dog wanders up, acts friendly, sniffs around.... and proceeds to pee on the leg of my drysuit, while I'm putting it on.

Come on, I washed the thing :)

Art

[HIJACK THREAD]

My dogs won't pee on you, but they will try to rescue you if you look like you're a distressed diver. Although it has to be more that a MOF situation, they let those slide.

[/END HIJACK]

Art and I will attend monthly lake dives and possible other stuff as long as its not always in Tempe.
I'd like to do occasionaly SOCAL specialty dives....like wreck alley etc
As long as the 'No shop bashing' rule holds.....

Bikini carwashs....hmmm...nope not me either.

IMO as a suggestion, I think it would be only fair to move social things around monthly perhaps on a rotation (East Side, Central, West) to accomodate people's schedules, traffic, etc.

No shop bashing, "leave your allegiances at the door" is important I think. Personally I don't care which shop you frequent or work for or whatever, it should be about diving and having fun.

-Garrett

I like the idea of moving them around as well. there aren't many reasons for me to go west of the airport- Vegas and...well, that might be it. :wink: But if we knew the meetings would bounce around, we'd be more likely to show up regularly.

shark.byte.usa:
We're divers, we network, let's use those resources to our advantage

Speaking of networking, we've got a buddy(diver) with a boat in Seattle who has offered his services if anyone wants to go up and dive. We'll be going back next summer so if anyone is interested, mark it down and keep bugging me about the dates. It's pretty amazing diving up there-cold, but amazing. It's a cheap trip too.. camping and diving. (Ok, camping in a big, spacious, 5th wheel camper.)

I think it would be only fair to move social things around monthly perhaps on a rotation (East Side, Central, West) to accomodate people's schedules, traffic, etc
fwiw, we tried that last year twice. Both times we had 1/2 or less of our normal attendance. One was in So. Chandler, the other near the Peoria Sports Complex. Both convenient to the 60 or the 101.

What we figured out was that a central location, with easy freeway access seems to work best. ymmv

booth22:
As long as we don't have to participate in bikini carwashes to fund the club

LOL! I can count on one hand the number of divers I've met that I would like to see in a bikini so I am with you.

I like the idea of expanding AZScuba to include club lake dives with BBQ but I've also been known to enjoy a good HH from time to time. I also think we have a prety good online club going right here.

I'm still waiting for the announcement for December's AZScuba club meeting. Has to occur on a Friday though. Work out of state Mon-Thurs.

Back
Top Bottom