New DIR diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happen to think you can be more "DIR" in a jacket BCD with an octopus if you have the right attitude than someone who, for example, solo dives in a DIR/Hogarthian setup.
This is a true statement, and it's one of the great paradoxes of DIR. People always seem to focus on the gear, but that's not really what it's all about. The "true essence" of DIR is a commitment to putting the needs of the team ahead of the needs of any individual member - everything else (including the DIR gear config) is simply a means to that end.

OK, let me see if I can clear some things up. The OP is a friend’s son, and a new diver. I took him out for a weekend of diving at Catalina. We talked about gear configurations which lead to a discussion of diving philosophies. We talked about vacation diving, rec., tech, and yes, DIR. I explained as best I could about the team concept and discussed it again when talking about gas management. I pointed out that IMHO GUE trained divers are among the best trained and safest. He talked to GUE trained divers and became very interested. I told him to seek out more information. To see if there were local DIR divers who he could talk to or even learn from (he is in Las Vegas). I showed him GUE.com and a 5th-D video I have. When I took him to the LDS to return some rented gear he bought Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving. Lastly I told him SCUBABOARD.com would be a great place to ask questions, get information and maybe even find local GUE trained divers…. So far the only bad advice was the scubaboard part. He has a passion, you should nurture that, not stomp it out. You wonder why DIR has such a bad rap…this thread is a prime example. To those who offered support and advice, I thank you. I am a new diver myself. I am “GUE-aware” but I do not have all the answers he is looking for. I was hoping to help him find those answers. I did not intend to lead him into the lion’s den.

Have you thought that maybe DIR is not for you?

This is a true statement, and it's one of the great paradoxes of DIR. People always seem to focus on the gear, but that's not really what it's all about. The "true essence" of DIR is a commitment to putting the needs of the team ahead of the needs of any individual member - everything else (including the DIR gear config) is simply a means to that end.

Yeah, I'd agree with that - though with the addendum that, of course, the overriding priority of the team is always the safety of each individual member. :D

Remember my "vision" thread?

I honestly do not understand why people who have adopted this approach to diving (and therefore clearly like it) find it so necessary to get stiff-necked and intolerant with people like the OP. Yeah, he doesn't really know very much about DIR diving, but he saw a little bit and got put in the way of some additional information, and he's intrigued and excited. WHY NOT SUPPORT THAT? There is plenty of time in his future for him to discover or decide what is or is not DIR, or DIR diving; there's plenty of time to dive with DIR mentors and take classes. Right now, it seems to me that what we can do is encourage and direct -- Give him links to more good information, show him where he can find DIR divers with whom to get some mentoring, and talk about the local instructors and classes he might want to look into.

What's the point of being superior, patronizing, or snide?

Remember my "vision" thread?
Yes and I responded to it.

I honestly do not understand why people who have adopted this approach to diving (and therefore clearly like it) find it so necessary to get stiff-necked and intolerant with people like the OP.
What I don't understand is why people get all bent out of shape because we were speaking the truth. He got a BP/W...yakked with some guy and now he is a DIR diver.

Yeah, he doesn't really know very much about DIR diving, but he saw a little bit and got put in the way of some additional information, and he's intrigued and excited. WHY NOT SUPPORT THAT?
Who said he wasn't supported? Thin skinned and defensive. (But it does make threads more interesting.)

We just said the truth. Too bad...so sad.

Whats the point in burying your head in the sand?

I could not agree more. This attitude is poison.
Meet hostility with patient explanation, and never initiate hostility.

I just dove on a non-DIR boat and gave explanations for various things and cleared up a whopping misconception. It was a very friendly and cordial discussion and may have gotten a couple of people thinking.

Besides, I just have a fundies card, I can't really be an arrogant prick until I have RB2 :wink:

Are we really arguing over this? Seems like a waste of time.

As to some people being superior, patronizing, and snide...I personally see it as being blunt. I'd rather be blunt than beat around the bush. But, that's just my own opinion.

As an addition to my above post, I'll say that I would much rather people be blunt to me as well -- it goes both ways. If I suck, I want someone to tell me. I don't want someone telling me "Hey, you're great!" if I suck. I promise, I won't jump down your throat if you say it. :)
As sarcastic and sardonic I might be on here, I don't bite. :wink:

Are we really arguing over this? Seems like a waste of time.

As to some people being superior, patronizing, and snide...I personally see it as being blunt. I'd rather be blunt than beat around the bush. But, that's just my own opinion.
One can be blunt, and still be polite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom