New Dir Diver Discussion On Gear And Wtb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krafty

Registered
Reaction score
FIRST I AM REPOSTING THIS THREAD HERE AS I WAS INFORMED BY THE Sticky THAT ITS A HALF DISCUSSION THREAD AND HALF WTB THREAD AND IS BETTER IN A DISCUSSUION FORUM. I AM POSTING IT IN THE DIR SECTION BECAUSE I WANT TO PERSUE THAT APPROACH SO I FIGURE BEST HERE.

Hello All,

I am a new diver that is trying to put my gear together so I can jump in the water.

Also I am interested in getting my DIR-F so the gear needs to be compatible with that diving approach. I Have all my training materials just want to do a few dives and practice the stuff. I recieved my open water in the Phillipines from a DIR guy named Alex Floro at www.adventurebound.com.ph and he and his whole DIR crew where great.

I have almost everything, somethings as a new diver I needed to go to a shop and really get the advice of more experienced people try things on etc. I am also on a Budget so I will try to get the rest used. As its breaking me and my wife keeps looking at me and then the kitchen knives then me and then the kitchen knives. So I want to save some money and just get what I need to jump in the water. Ill be spending my first 20-30 dives or so in less than 20 feet practicing things like bouyancy and other stuff.

Here is what I think I need.

I also live in the San Fran Bay Area so if you are local great.

1. Steel Tank, I want a steel tank so that I need less weight on my hips. I have however no idea of what type of steel tank to get so any advice there is welcome.

2. Wrist mount Compass and Compass holder

3. Wrist or arm mount depth guage, analog or digital.

4. Bottom Timer

All these items really boil down to price, I have many dives to do in like 20 feet of water just practicing crap, so after I feel more confident Ill probably upgrate the Compass and depth guage into some fancy digital thing.

5. Oh yeah a Diving Knife (has to be able to attach to the belt on my halcyon BC)

6. A wheel line

7. A orange marker that sticks up, like a long tube.

8. A streach cord for holding my secondary.

I have my fins (scubapro jet),boots (pinnicleaquatic),wetsuite xcel polar titanium) ,BC (halcyon eclipse 30),primary (aqualung legen),secondaryaqualung legend),preasure guage (healcyon), mask (mares),snorkle (mares),hood (attached to suit)

Thanks for the time, if I forgot anything let me know.

I am not going to discuss steel tank, since I don't want to touch that can of worms.

For a Compass most people will recommend the SK7 with a DSS boot. I have to admit that when the time comes to get a new compass I will pick one of these up...they are sweet.

its not an arm mount depth gauge...its a wrist mount...and i don't think you want to go analog...for cheap, and shallow dives, check into finding a US divers Matrix...its a old air computer...has computer functions, but is basically just a depth timer. Will take care of depth gauge and bottom timer all in one(really you shouldn't have these independent...just one more task).

As for a dive knife: go to the local dollar store, and pick up some cheap steak knives. Cheapest crappiest knives you can find. Then search this forum for some DIY solutions for a knife holder/DIR knife.

What is a wheel line? Are you talking about a spool? There is a guy currently selling these for 15, if you check the hot deals forum...its not a bad deal.

when you say orange marker: you mean SMB. A Surface Marker Bouy. On these, you get what you pay for...so buy an smb from halcyon, dive right, OMS, TDL, or one of the other known name brands

Stretch cord: you just want good old fashioned bungee cord. Not sure on proper thickness(sorry), but you can pick this up at any REI/EMS/outdoor store/climbing shop...should be about 30 cents a foot...pick up 5 ft...cuz you can always have extra...

I think that's it...

Krafty,
I'll be in Monterey this weekend if you want to get a dive in... there's a bunch of other DIR guys that dive almost every weekend... most of us don't mind helping someone along the way. PM me for more details.

Ben

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom