New charges for Sotis (Add helium)and Emilie Voissem (Nexus Underwater)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most cryptography products were ITAR controlled for the longest time. In fact RSA made a T-shirt that complained about that with the source code on it, that T-shirt was also export controlled. :poke:

In fact due to those controls internet security was held back until they passed a bill to allow the export without requiring a backdoor.

The Playstation 2 was restricted from export due to the higher end CPU that it had. And still occasionally higher end computer products can be restricted but it is less likely due to the international nature of computer production.

So in summary our export controls are convoluted and often stupid.
I think I said it upthread somewhere, I had an OFAC permit to export rebreathers to Cuba. It went along with my permit to export my boat to Cuba, with all of its technology. DoC sent an inspector down to ensure I wasn’t exporting something I didn’t realize was controlled. Like hand held GPSs. I didn’t say that every smart phone had a hand held GPS built right in, didn’t figure I needed to open the pie hole at that time…

It might seem weird, but it’s not exactly unheard of either.

A few years ago, I was working in the Defense & Aerospace sector of the company I work for. Working there came with annual training requirements in regulations around ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations). There are plenty of devices that fall under ITAR restrictions that are also available in the US retail environment. FLIR products, for example. They may be perfectly legal for me to go down to the store to buy, but it’s not legal to export to some countries. Generally, these are products with military or security applications. Not critical enough to rise to government use only, but the government still doesn’t want these dual use items to be going to certain countries.
Working for a multi national company I get yearly training as well. Comes down to a list of countries I can't deal with. I have to keep track names in emails and the locations. It can get tricky as the Mexico office is free to work with Cuba. If there is a question from Mexico that is forwarded from the Cuba office, I can't answer it.

Some stuff as simple and universal as Bluetooth is on the list of technology that can't cross into some countries that I am allowed to work with.

The former CEO was smuggled himself. Is currently wanted on the Interpol Red Notice list.

On the flip side, the Titanium used in the SR-71 was bought from the USSR via a 3rd party country during the cold war. Sound familiar?

It might seem weird, but it’s not exactly unheard of either.

A few years ago, I was working in the Defense & Aerospace sector of the company I work for. Working there came with annual training requirements in regulations around ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations). There are plenty of devices that fall under ITAR restrictions that are also available in the US retail environment. FLIR products, for example. They may be perfectly legal for me to go down to the store to buy, but it’s not legal to export to some countries. Generally, these are products with military or security applications. Not critical enough to rise to government use only, but the government still doesn’t want these dual use items to be going to certain countries.

I've shipped rebreathers to places other than inside the US without issue. The US Government apparently "knew" about the potential for the rebreather shipment by Add Helium (to some place they didn't like) well enough in advance that they actually contacted the defendants to caution them not to do it and then monitored the circumstances well enough to seize the rebreathers (in transit?) when they were shipped. The question that occurs to me is, how did our government know?

The question that occurs to me is, how did our government know?
you-hang-up-both-of-you-hang-up-obama.jpg

In all seriousness more than likely the buyers were under surveillance. And the warning was meant to clue Sotis of that fact, and that the products he sells are controlled.

View attachment 693036

In all seriousness more than likely the buyers were under surveillance. And the warning was meant to clue Sotis of that fact, and that the products he sells are controlled.
Clue Sotis?

The president or the Good Lord Himself could give Sotis direct instructions and Sotis wouldn’t listen.

Sotis wouldn’t get a clue if you beat it into him.

I've shipped rebreathers to places other than inside the US without issue. The US Government apparently "knew" about the potential for the rebreather shipment by Add Helium (to some place they didn't like) well enough in advance that they actually contacted the defendants to caution them not to do it and then monitored the circumstances well enough to seize the rebreathers (in transit?) when they were shipped. The question that occurs to me is, how did our government know?
The warning is quite possibly the reason why they 'had to' pursue the prosecution. If they hadn't it would have been a precedent for every other dealer of ITAR equipment.

"You didn't prosecute that Sortis guy despite his complete thumbing of his nose at the law, its arbitrary and capricious that you're prosecuting me"

Why wouldn’t you abort/cancel this order after being warned by a government official?

Why wouldn’t you abort/cancel this order after being warned by a government official?

Because they are stupid arrogant greedy criminal bâtardes.

Why would you rob a jewelry store He did that as well.

Why would you rob a jewelry store He did that as well.
That’s kind of funny in a sad way. At least, this time he won’t be able to cause more troubles for a while.

I take it that he got caught for the jewellery robbery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom