New charges for Sotis (Add helium)and Emilie Voissem (Nexus Underwater)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
He was told by the US federal agents that it was illegal to ship and ordered him not to ship and followed up on the matter to make sure that he didn't and wouldn't ship, yet he still went through with the deal anyways?? This is beyond stupidity and common sense. And for what?? A mere 100 or 200 K $$$ to face decades of prison time???

As we say, "Allah may forgive some sins but stupidity is eternal."

Rocks. It’s rocks at Leavenworth.

Emilie was a cop.

Sotis will do time for this. He’s a repeat offender. Previous conviction for armed robbery. Featured on “America’s Most Wanted” at one time. Based on past history as a fugitive (3 years on the lam from my memory) he will be declared a flight risk at his arraignment with either no bail or a very high one. With his recent personal bankruptcy he’s not going to make bail. Guessing based on federal sentencing guidelines that he’ll get 3 or so years. The feds don’t lose cases. He’s not going to walk.

She will likely immediately turn and cooperate fully. Likely she’ll get 3 years probation. Possible house arrest and most certainly a fine. I doubt that she will do time.

He admitted selling the equipment to Libya in a 2017 Miami Herald interview.....

I envision prosecutors high fiving as they submit that first hand newspaper interview as "Exhibit A"

He admitted selling the equipment to Libya in a 2017 Miami Herald interview.....

I envision prosecutors high fiving as they submit that first hand newspaper interview as "Exhibit A"

The fact that they took 2+ years to seek an indictment means that they took their time to collect a lot more evidence than that. The Federal AG’s don’t lose. He’ll cooperate, plead, and try to get a downward departure from the federal sentencing guidelines in return. This is why I predict 3 years or so. Five at the outside. But he’s not going to walk with probation.

He’s already done state prison time. That’s far worse than where he’ll do federal time. Federal low to medium security prison is as civilized as it gets, for prison. His Florida state time would have been far worse.

Paul Raymaekers is going to have a few questions to answer as well when he comes to the USA next time, unless (as is likely true) that the DOJ flew to Belgium and interviewed him already.

From the article, it seems like amateur hour as far as criminal enterprise goes.

On Aug. 4, 2016, a Commerce agent told Voissem and Sotis not to ship the items, but they continued to arrange the transaction, according to the indictment.

Bob

Sotis will do time for this. He’s a repeat offender. Previous conviction for armed robbery. Featured on “America’s Most Wanted” at one time. Based on past history as a fugitive (3 years on the lam from my memory) he will be declared a flight risk at his arraignment with either no bail or a very high one. With his recent personal bankruptcy he’s not going to make bail. Guessing based on federal sentencing guidelines that he’ll get 3 or so years. The feds don’t lose cases. He’s not going to walk.

She will likely immediately turn and cooperate fully. Likely she’ll get 3 years probation. Possible house arrest and most certainly a fine. I doubt that she will do time.
Begs the question why did rEvo get into bed with him in the first place. Did they not do any background checks before they appointed him?? Or was it all based on his sales?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom