New charges for Sotis (Add helium)and Emilie Voissem (Nexus Underwater)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the criminal case has nothing to do with the civil case.

1. Sotis exported rebreathers to an OFAC restricted country without a permit, in violation of a government order. What is interesting about this is I once held an OFAC permit to export rebreathers (without regard to brand) to a restricted country. They aren’t hard to get. The permit, that is.

2. Steward drowned on Sotis watch. Whether Sotis was responsible or not will be up to a different judge and set of lawyers.

One case has nothing to do with the other.

So while you’re right, the government case has precedence, it isn’t because the cases are intertwined.

What a totally miserable, helpless and galactically f'ed up life Sotis is living now.

NO amount of money in this whole universe is worth this much pig manure. My being able to sit with my wife and play with my children in our backyard in peace, happiness and content even when we are barely making ends meet is priceless. May Allah save you all from greed and the blindness it brings to one's life.

But the criminal case has nothing to do with the civil case.

1. Sotis exported rebreathers to an OFAC restricted country without a permit, in violation of a government order. What is interesting about this is I once held an OFAC permit to export rebreathers (without regard to brand) to a restricted country. They aren’t hard to get. The permit, that is.

2. Steward drowned on Sotis watch. Whether Sotis was responsible or not will be up to a different judge and set of lawyers.

One case has nothing to do with the other.

So while you’re right, the government case has precedence, it isn’t because the cases are intertwined.
So say he's ordered to pay $50 million. The Plaintiffs will recover what? He's probably spent all his money on the lawyers and mortgaged everything to raise cash. He's going to spend years in prison and no longer has a business. What assets are you going to get? It's like suing the crack addict living in a tent in the park when he rides the bike he stole into your BMW.

So say he's ordered to pay $50 million. The Plaintiffs will recover what? He's probably spent all his money on the lawyers and mortgaged everything to raise cash. He's going to spend years in prison and no longer has a business. What assets are you going to get? It's like suing the crack addict living in a tent in the park when he rides the bike he stole into your BMW.
Not about the money award, but about the percentage of his share.

Let’s say there are 4 defendants.

If all are found equally responsible, all insurance companies pay out equally. But as different defendants are dismissed from the case, they no longer have liability. So now, this gives the other defendants the opportunity to stand apart and try to shift blame to sotis, who can no longer be hurt anyway for the reasons you state.

The place you don’t want to be is the guy with deep pockets as the last man standing next to Sotis.

As a caveat, I am not a lawyer, I hire one when needed. I did watch Perry Mason as a kid and still catch Bull once in a while.

Not about the money award, but about the percentage of his share
In part. The case might have been initially instigated by the family to penalize those involved, with a distinct focus on Mr Sotis. However, given the insiders now understand the cause of the accident together with current circumstances for Mr Sotis and his business, I suspect continuing the Stewart civil case will be more influenced by attorneys generating billable work hours and less about finding justice for the deceased.

CASE NO. 19-CR-20693-SEITZ Document 114 Entered on FLSD Docket 11/03/202

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v.
PETER SOTIS and EMILIE VOISSEM, Defendants.

<<>>

Accordingly, based on the foregoing, the evidence in the record, and for good cause shown, the Motion is GRANTED, and it is hereby ORDERED that:
  1. Pursuant to 19 U.S.C. § 1595a(d), the following specific property is hereby forfeited and vested in the United States of America: four (4) rEvo III rebreathers
<<>>

Attachments

• 1:19-cr-20693-PAS preliminary order forfeiture.pdf
    50.1 KB · Views: 70
CASE NO. 19-CR-20693-SEITZ Document 114 Entered on FLSD Docket 11/03/202

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v.
PETER SOTIS and EMILIE VOISSEM, Defendants.

<<>>

Accordingly, based on the foregoing, the evidence in the record, and for good cause shown, the Motion is GRANTED, and it is hereby ORDERED that:
  1. Pursuant to 19 U.S.C. § 1595a(d), the following specific property is hereby forfeited and vested in the United States of America: four (4) rEvo III rebreathers
<<>>

Future rEvos for sale at a government garage sale? Perhaps they'll just given them to NOAA? Seriously though, what typically happens to confiscated equipment like this?

Sentencing in the United States tends to be a bit random. And there have been times where laws were passed that required certain sentencing for repeat offenders, that usually don't turn out well. Small part of what makes our legal system a mess.

But I would say that typically if you are a return customer getting another round of sentencing, you are going to some bonus time. But there is no guarantee about that.

This is federal court, sentencing guidelines are typically much stricter than you see in state courts. At least that I what I've been told.

My guess, 10-15 years total. And unlike state courts you serve all of it under the federal system.

This is federal court, sentencing guidelines are typically much stricter than you see in state courts. At least that I what I've been told.

My guess, 10-15 years total. And unlike state courts you serve all of it under the federal system.

Hello Manatee,

PDF Attached

UNITED STATES SENTENCING COMMISSION GUIDELINES MANUAL 2021​
  1. Authority
The United States Sentencing Commission (“Commission”) is an independent agency in the judicial branch composed of seven voting and two non-voting, ex officio members. Its principal purpose is to establish sentencing policies and practices for the federal criminal justice system that will assure the ends of justice by promulgating de- tailed guidelines prescribing the appropriate sentences for offenders convicted of federal crimes.​
The guidelines and policy statements promulgated by the Commission are issued pursuant to Section 994(a) of Title 28, United States Code.​

A quick bedtime read and you should have your answers.

Remember there were two defendants that were convicted of various crimes.

Attachments

• GLMFull.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 58
A quick bedtime read and you should have your answers.

Remember there were two defendants that were convicted of various crimes.

I looked at that briefly before going "F it!"

I stand by my guess, but it is exactly that a guess based on other federal convictions I've heard of.

I think 10-15 years is how long they will be in prison, as I think concurrent sentencing is likely since it all stems from the same criminal act, and doesn't involve a violent crime.

I looked at that briefly before going "F it!"

I stand by my guess, but it is exactly that a guess based on other federal convictions I've heard of.

I think 10-15 years is how long they will be in prison, as I think concurrent sentencing is likely since it all stems from the same criminal act, and doesn't involve a violent crime.
I lost track, but was the bit about Sotis threatening a witness introduced in court? If so that might also be a factor; the justice system in general and the feds in particular seem to take a dim view of such antics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom