New charges for Sotis (Add helium)and Emilie Voissem (Nexus Underwater)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will a prior state felony conviction (armed robbery) have any influence on the sentencing for this federal felony conviction?

Michael
Possibly. I have a hard time with this whole process. I hate to see bad things happen to people, but they often earn what's coming to them.

Will a prior state felony conviction (armed robbery) have any influence on the sentencing for this federal felony conviction?

Michael
Possibly. I have a hard time with this whole process. I hate to see bad things happen to people, but they often earn what's coming to them.

Sentencing in the United States tends to be a bit random. And there have been times where laws were passed that required certain sentencing for repeat offenders, that usually don't turn out well. Small part of what makes our legal system a mess.

But I would say that typically if you are a return customer getting another round of sentencing, you are going to some bonus time. But there is no guarantee about that.

Lest we forget, last I heard Mr. Sotis is also a named defendant (among several) in the civil litigation regarding the Rob Stewart fatality. That case seems to have gone dormant, perhaps waiting for a resolution in this Federal case since Mr. Sotis was also a central figure in the civil liability case?

Lest we forget, last I heard Mr. Sotis is also a named defendant (among several) in the civil litigation regarding the Rob Stewart fatality. That case seems to have gone dormant, perhaps waiting for a resolution in this Federal case since Mr. Sotis was also a central figure in the civil liability case?
Shouldn't make a bit of difference, this is a criminal case, the other was a civil case (although it might be possible to bring criminal charges arising out of disclosure in the civil case.)

Michael

It’s pretty much blood from a stone at this point.

My guess is that Stewart’s folks are unlikely to recover much from Sotis.

This makes it more likely for the rest of the defendants to point their fingers at him…

Have to finish the criminal case first. Prosecutor has all the evidence and discovery and this will only be available to plaintiff’s attorney after the criminal case is resolved. Very rare for an attorney to continue a civil case until after the criminal case is done.

Have to finish the criminal case first. Prosecutor has all the evidence and discovery and this will only be available to plaintiff’s attorney after the criminal case is resolved. Very rare for an attorney to continue a civil case until after the criminal case is done.
But the criminal case has nothing to do with the civil case.

1. Sotis exported rebreathers to an OFAC restricted country without a permit, in violation of a government order. What is interesting about this is I once held an OFAC permit to export rebreathers (without regard to brand) to a restricted country. They aren’t hard to get. The permit, that is.

2. Steward drowned on Sotis watch. Whether Sotis was responsible or not will be up to a different judge and set of lawyers.

One case has nothing to do with the other.

So while you’re right, the government case has precedence, it isn’t because the cases are intertwined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom