New CCR's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So what are some of the new CCR's coming out....I know about the Nautilus...

$5g's for a CCR..not bad I must say..not bad at all.

Is this going to be a trend for the newer CCR's to try and win over a broader customer base?

Jason

OMG Nemesis is the second eCCR that's supposed to stay at the $5000 barrier. Moreover, it is supposed to have thermister scrubber monitoring. The non-working prototype shown at DEMA last year was set up to use the ExtendAir cartridges, so I don't know which one they'll build and/or which one you'll be able to get for $5K. The DEMA rig had a small (13cuft) O2 cylinder inside the housing, and a larger (27cuft Azi sized) cylinder for diluent. As the Azis and 96s this CCR ought to be CE-certified.

The elusive Infinito can be labeled new, Padiscubapro can tell you more than I.

A rig dubbed the Predator, though I've only repeatedly heard the name. Nothing else, not even who's designing or building it.

APD's Evolution, if they ever get it to the customers.

Oooo I just love this diving stuff ... maybe by the time I'm ready for a CCR they will be affordable? Lets hope - would love to try one next year.

I had a look at the Nemesis on their website and it looks very well made (even if it was a demo unit). It says that nitrox can be used as well as O2, heliox and trimix. I am not familiar with CCRs (yet), what are the pros and cons of using nitrox in a ccr? It may of course be necessary to do so on some liveaboards without facilities to provide pure O2... Could someone please tell me more about this?

If so that's the DEMA unit that was crude by any standard. :rolleyes:
Mixed gas CCRs usually have two gases, oxygen and a diluent. The latter can be air or for greater depth Heliox or Trimix. Rather than having a fixed percentage of gas (e.g. Nitrox 40 - 40% Oxygen/60% Nitrogen) they are used with a fixed partial pressure of oxygen. Therefor the mix changes according to depth (and the chosen partial pressure). They are wearable Nitrox (trimix/heliox) mixing machines. You need O2 to make them work right, and the main advantage is that your get the "perfect mix" for the depth you are at. Always has he maximum allowable amount of O2 with the least amount of nitrogen.
I thing using it with nitrox as diluent is a misunderstanding. Or misinformation, as they're talking about 12 hrs. dive time. That would be on the stated 5.2 lbs. of absorbent, which I rather doubt is possible. Even more so since the prototype shown used ExtendAir cartridges. The same ones have 2 hour rating in Dolphin and Azimuth ... .
Check here for more info:
http://www.therebreathersite.nl/
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/rb.html

Its also possible to use Nitrox as the O2 supply gas. For example the Inspiration can be calibrated and run on as weak a mix as 70% on the O2 side

Just means you bubble a little as there is Nitrogen being introduced each inject

Great for bailout as it means you can carry 80% say as a bailout deco gas and still use it in emergency as a plug in O2 side supply if the solenoid jams for example

Hey! maybe carry a pure Helium Dil and use Nitrox on the O2 side to get a trimix mixing machine :D

Using Nitrox instead of Oxygen kinda misses the point of diving a CCR. Decent bailout option, but I wouldn't plan my dives around Nx80.

You're supposed to use O2 with Nitrolium in the diluent tank if you want a trimix mixing machine. Page 95 of your manual. :D

Oh dont worry I do use O2

But if going deeper I use onboard trimix and O2 and off board air and 80% or 70%

That way if I do bail I can do a little better on the deco than having to stay on the weak trimix all the way up and can still use the 80% in the RB for semi closed or CCR manually if required (solenoid stuck open/closed)

Just another advantage of a good CCR, its very flexible and gives you a lot more options than open circuit

My plan if it all goes pear sheped is OC/DSV bail to 3l Trimix for sanity and head up, then above 60 I can change to the air (if going deeper the air would be say 18/30 or domething similar), Then I can do most of my stops on the 80% till 6m when I can use the onboard O2

Looks like the final, CE & OSHA certified Nemesis will make it's debut at DEMA this year. With integrated deco computing and thermal scrubber monitoring. Should be available within a month afterwards.That was the good part. The bad one is that the price will of course be higher as published before, the new target price is supposed to be around $8500. :upset:

Was it someone on this board that said CCRs will get cheaper?

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
Looks like the final, CE & OSHA certified Nemesis will make it's debut at DEMA this year. With integrated deco computing and thermal scrubber monitoring. Should be available within a month afterwards.That was the good part. The bad one is that the price will of course be higher as published before, the new target price is supposed to be around $8500. :upset:

Was it someone on this board that said CCRs will get cheaper?

The prototype at ZeroG didn't work well... had several floods.. finally traced down to a missing o ring, then the custom battery pack stopped working... so in total it was in the water for 3 days...
also the unit showed up without the deco computer.. the final computer WILL NOT support trimix, only nitrox and heliox.

Mauricio ended up doing the deepest azimuth nitox dive to date on the carrie lee... it was a very short bounce dive... and he needed both onboard tanks to do the dive...

Back
Top Bottom