New BP/W suggestions please. 18lb wing in tropical waters - any concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just tie a knot in the string on the OPV, it's not like you're going to be wearing thick gloves. If the corrugated hose is too long you can can purchase a shorter one.

There is some debate on the value of the grip knob on dump valve pull cords..... your choice.

IF the d-ring is at nipple location, and your LPI is blocking that d-ring, again, there is a thought the LPI is way too long..... your choice. Your comments/issues have me thinking you are of small stature.

I also found that the corrugated BC hose gets in the way of access to the left shoulder D ring, which I had a light clipped to. From the routing of the BC hose I can't think of a way to avoid this, any suggestions
I use a piece of shock cord, around the shoulder harness, it way higher than the Dring..
Tire tube can be used but that means unthreading the harness.

I use a piece of tubular neoprene instead of the traditional innertube route. I have one above the shoulder d-ring that the LPI hose goes through and then connects to the inflator itself. Height adjustable.
The corrugated hose that comes with the DGX is 16" which they claim is "standard" but I think is much too long. Dive Rite's come standard with 12" which is more appropriate IMO. 16" is a bit long even for me at size big.

Thought I'd update this with some thoughts having used the BCD for a few dives now. The corrugated hose is definitely a bit longer than I'd like but I've now routed it alongside the shoulder D-ring rather than in front of it, so it doesn't get in the way. I used this article for inspiration. Seems to work well so far.
I tried the pull dump with just a knot in it and although usable I'd like a bigger knob (on the string, that is). I use 2mm gloves on every dive as a precaution as I work with my hands, if using bare hands it would probably be fine.
Lift at the surface seems fine with the wing fully inflated, and I don't have any issues with tipping forward or backward. I'm using 2kg in trim pockets on the upper cam bands.
The DGX set ships with a loop adjustment ring which is meant to make donning and doffing easier. It does this, but it means that you have to pull the left shoulder strap tight each time, or you wind up with a loose left shoulder strap and a waist strap that isn't aligned correctly. I'm not 100% sure it's necessary to be honest, and I might remove it later.
I have a line cutting tool on the left side of the waist strap as per the church of DIR. This doesn't seem ideal with the buckle and SPG all sitting on the left, and I may move it to the right side. I did install a right hip D ring and have my DSMB and spool on this. I tried them on the rear D ring but access seemed difficult. I may try again now that I'm getting more comfortable with my setup.
At the moment my hoses are "standard" recreational length (i.e. whatever came with my Aqualung Legend). I am securing the octopus to the right hip D ring on a holder as using the right chest D ring made it bow out quite a lot and was catching on things. I can definitely see the attraction of a short secondary bungeed around the neck, but I'll have to see how long a primary hose makes sense with my type of diving.
Overall this is a nice setup and I'm glad I opted for it. I appreciate the input from everyone, further thoughts and comments are welcome.

I have a line cutting tool on the left side of the waist strap as per the church of DIR. This doesn't seem ideal with the buckle and SPG all sitting on the left, and I may move it to the right side.

How long's the webbing? -- You should be able to move the waist buckle to the right to make room on the left.

I love 18# wings for tropical diving. The occasional time I do dive single tank I have a Argonaut 18# wing and love it! perfect travel wing too, rolls up into a ball about the size of a small shoe box.

18# wing, 3mm SS backplate, 5mm wetsuit and no weights.

perfect setup. I have plenty of lift, my wing is barely inflated during the dive and does not taco around my tank nor does it look like an Manta is swimming by with wings flapping in the wind. Unless my dive buddy has a Rambo belt full of lead I cant really think of why I would need more lift. If you need a 30# wing for single tank ali warm water diving then your doing something wrong with your weighting. This is where you get the typical 90's video of the diver is neon, 45 degree angle body position flutter kicking like a mad man making a sand dust storm on the bottom that looks like a NASA rocket ship taking off because they have a fully loaded weight belt strapped to them and they can't figure out why there so negative and can keep off the bottom.

I love 18# wings for tropical diving. The occasional time I do dive single tank I have a Argonaut 18# wing and love it! perfect travel wing too, rolls up into a ball about the size of a small shoe box.

18# wing, 3mm SS backplate, 5mm wetsuit and no weights.

perfect setup. I have plenty of lift, my wing is barely inflated during the dive and does not taco around my tank nor does it look like an Manta is swimming by with wings flapping in the wind. Unless my dive buddy has a Rambo belt full of lead I cant really think of why I would need more lift. If you need a 30# wing for single tank ali warm water diving then your doing something wrong with your weighting. This is where you get the typical 90's video of the diver is neon, 45 degree angle body position flutter kicking like a mad man making a sand dust storm on the bottom that looks like a NASA rocket ship taking off because they have a fully loaded weight belt strapped to them and they can't figure out why there so negative and can keep off the bottom.

That's definitely an elegant way to do it, and I'm pretty certain that I could have got away with it too for the diving I currently do. However the DGX (Oxycheq) wing is narrow enough that it doesn't taco, and the aluminium plate is easier to carry. The wing has been barely inflated at the shallow reef depths I've been diving recently but it's nice to have the extra lift at the surface and in case of emergency. In the end I couldn't see what advantage a marginally smaller wing would have given me, as the Apeks wing is actually heavier than the DGX one (1500 vs 900g), probably because of the hefty brass buttons on the inflator.

I've cut the webbing as it was ridiculously long but have left enough that I could reposition the buckle. I'll have a play and see what suits me best. Is there a specific reason I shouldn't have the cutting tool on the right? I don't have a light canister on the right side and it's unlikely I'll need one for the forseeable future.

I have a 30# Oxycheq wing and a 17# Deep Sea Supply Torus Wing (RIP DSS :crying: ).

My 30# is on a steel backplate and it is my daily driver.

My 17# wing is on a lightweight bp and I intended to use it for quick trips to nice and warm places but I just bring my main rig most times.

In your environment, you can absolutely do with an 18# wing and a lightweight bp. Then add a small amount of weight that is ditcheable.

Or you can go with a larger capacity but still compact wing, just in case you do some cold(er) weather diving where you may have to compensate for the loss of buoyancy of a thicker wetsuit at depth.

I've cut the webbing as it was ridiculously long but have left enough that I could reposition the buckle. I'll have a play and see what suits me best. Is there a specific reason I shouldn't have the cutting tool on the right? I don't have a light canister on the right side and it's unlikely I'll need one for the forseeable future.

I haven't done the DIR thing so I don't know... I have a molle holder for my trauma shears and I put it on a shoulder strap when I remember to take it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom