New BP/W suggestions please. 18lb wing in tropical waters - any concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Belize right now. I've been diving a 5 mil with SS BP and STA, 18 lb wing. No extra weight needed.

These comments about assisting another diver indicates that people need to retake rescue as they missed the part of ditching equipment.

Btw for travel, consider the wing from Deep 6 (deep6gear.com) as it dries super fast. Nice if you squeeze in as much diving as possible before returning home.

Btw for travel, consider the wing from Deep 6 (deep6gear.com) as it dries super fast. Nice if you squeeze in as much diving as possible before returning home.
I was trying pretty hard to buy the Deep6 BP/W system here, they have a local distributor and several dealers but none had stock or any idea when they might get any. The same went for regulators and the Excursion dive computer. Unfortunately shipping and taxes meant buying directly from Deep6 wasn't a feasible option, so I went for other options in the end.

I was trying pretty hard to buy the Deep6 BP/W system here, they have a local distributor and several dealers but none had stock or any idea when they might get any. The same went for regulators and the Excursion dive computer. Unfortunately shipping and taxes meant buying directly from Deep6 wasn't a feasible option, so I went for other options in the end.
That's understandable. I bought their fins for someone here, flew with them with me to Greece and then shipped them to Israel. Customs shafted the recipient despite being listed as a gift and only 100 Euros for value. I don't remember the exact amount for duty taxes but it was significant.

I sell quite a few BP/Ws here in the Marshall Islands (Tropical - 8 degrees or 500 miles /800 km north of equator). I sold three Apeks this week. I build them in four configurations:

1 - Apeks Aluminum Plate & 18# Wing
2 - Apeks Stainless Steel Plate & 18# Wing
3 - Hollis Stainless Steel Plate & 25# Wing (soon to be 22# Wing)
4 - Apeks Stainless Steel Plate & 30# Wing

Our waters are 83-85 degrees F and temps usually drops only 1-2 degrees when diving deep, if any temp changes at all. We dive Al 50s, 63s but mainly 80s. No wetsuits.

We typically find divers with smaller body sizes gravitate towards the Al BP & 18# Wing. Medium frame divers go with SS BP & 18# Wing or 25# Wing. And most divers go with the SS BP & 30# Wing. While not all divers need this much lift diving Recreational in tropical waters, the SS BP & 30# Wing gives them the best options when they return to the US.

overall you're happy with this? i'm in singapore and when i got back from my last trip realized the flange on my zeagle express tech bladder broke which means replacing the entire bladder so it's basically new BCD time.. i was looking at the DGX.

slightly concerned with weight as all our diving is travel diving.. what does the rig weigh in total? i think my express tech is right around 6 pounds including d rings and my smb clipped to it

Yes, overall I'm happy with the setup. Total weight with the aluminium backplate is 3.2kg so about 7lbs.

As @wetb4igetinthewater noted, the XDeep Ghost is incredibly light, 2.2kg (just under 5lbs). XDeep claims that it's the world's lightest BC system--I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. The wing has 17kg of lift (~37lbs). The wing size, however, will not impede your diving. As others have noted, it's nice to have the extra lift when at the surface.

Having used the system for a short while, I can say that it is very comfortable, though I find that the waist belt runs a little high. The Ghost, paired with two medium sidemount trim weight pockets on the waist belt (pushed closest to the BP), or trim pockets slotted through the cam band(s), will yield a great setup for those needing minimal weight in relatively warmer waters.

I'm in Belize right now. I've been diving a 5 mil with SS BP and STA, 18 lb wing. No extra weight needed.

These comments about assisting another diver indicates that people need to retake rescue as they missed the part of ditching equipment.
It has been a long time since I took rescue. So instead of being able to press a button and hopefully be able to provide enough excess lift to assist 2 people. The current training is to ditch scuba gear? It seems that ditchable lead is becoming less popular, so we just start ditching scuba units? That is the current best practice?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom