New BP/W checkout dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It didn't come off, just loose. It happened the first time I tried it at a pool (I figured it was my bad...didn't tighten it enough). Second time was at a quarry. I had just tightened everything that morning.

I had my STA loosen up on my first couple of dives.

I now use bolt->sta->BP->washer->lockwasher->wingnut

I use the biggest diameter stainless bolt that will fit the hole. I use a wingnut so that I can tighten it down by hand if it ever loosens again.

It has not come loose since I added the lockwasher and wingnut.

That being said, I don't see why a lock nut wouldn't work.

Peter

Thanks...I meant lock "washer" not nut.

It's funny, that when it was loose it wasknocking back and forth. I kept looking behind me, thinking someone was trying to get my attention.

Now if I can figure out why my feet keep ending up over my head, I'll be very happy. :confused:

I normally have heavy feet, so I cannot be a very big help here.

You have already adjusted the tank and STA.

I normally have the tank very high in the straps. I also use RocketFins, which are pretty negative.

Have you tried pulling in your legs/arms? That is how I control my trim. You can also pitch up and get the air in the wing to move towards your head.

If worse comes to worse, you can slap on some ankle weights.

Do a search for BP and trim and you'll find some other discussions that may help.

Probably the best thing to do is to hop into a pool and play around a bit.

Peter

My fins are the Graphite Twin Jets (yeah, I know...it was an early purchase...) and they are positivly bouyant. My instructor didn't want me to try the Ankle weights.

It was also my first time using a 7mm farmer john wetsuit (I was only used to 3mm tropical).

I really want to find a pair of Jet Fins to try out. I keep hearing that they're the best way to go.

Thanks!

divegeek once bubbled...
My fins are the Graphite Twin Jets (yeah, I know...it was an early purchase...) and they are positivly bouyant. My instructor didn't want me to try the Ankle weights.

It was also my first time using a 7mm farmer john wetsuit (I was only used to 3mm tropical).

I really want to find a pair of Jet Fins to try out. I keep hearing that they're the best way to go.

Thanks!

BTW, I also was using 15lbs of weight on a weight belt and a pony bottle mounted on the side of the tank, for the first time. I'm sure that didn't help my balance :wink:

i dive the same setup as mentioned above and had the same problems with the tank hitting my head. I have a 1/4 stainless regular fredT plate, 2 piece STA, and oxycheq 45 wing. I ended up positioning the top STA on the lower hole as well as the bottom STA on the bottom hole. I also use the scubapro buckles from fredT. I ran the duel tank buckles through the wing and plate to pretty much sandwich the tank to the STA to the wing to the plate. Whenever i put the tank on i set the top edge of the top STA to just where the tank starts to curve at the top. this sets the tank so i don't bump my head and can still reach the valve. I found i had my straps to tight when i first started and had to loosen them up to get this to work. I took the slack out of the the shoulders with the crotch strap, this will help it from riding up on the surface when you have the wing filled. You will feel like your sitting in a rapelling harness and will not feel the shoulder straps at the surface. By the way i use a apeks DS4 first stage, so that might make a difference if you have a big first stage for bumping your head.

good luck

kurt

the top edge of the sta with the curve of the tank

wing nuts show placement of sta as well as buckle routing

goatboy_k once bubbled...
the top edge of the sta with the curve of the tank

Hey goatboy_k, thanks for posting these pics! I too am building up a FredT SS .188 plate and I ordered the new Oxychek 45# wing. The shot of the tank straps and how you setup the STA's will help greatly! Question, I'm assuming that (from webbing pics I've seen so far) as the webbing on the top routes across the back of the BP that the top STA must go over the webbing? (This is why one puts in a hole correct? Or is the hole just to hold the webbing in position?) If so won't this be an unstable way to mount the STA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom