New Blending technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveat: haven't seen the video, only going on your description.

Like many things in diving, on paper it seems like it COULD work, but....

WHY??

I can sort of see the benefit in taking a trimix sanity tank with should you have decided to do a dive narced and want to be able to back off that. Sanity breaths do work, in fact on some trimix courses one of the things that is done is to do a dive to, say, 50m on air and take along a 21/35, so when you are comfortable and think everything is fine, you switch to the trimix and rapidly sober up, hopefully realising that you were way more narced than you thought and thus gaining a new respect for PPN2.

Actually planning a real tech dive that way? And then using some kind of "breaths per minute" or whatever to balance the narcosis and the gas costs and the PPO2? And then realising its too much hassle to do gas switches all the time so cheating by using CCR mode? I really would like to see the risk/reward/cost/benefit analysis that led to that decision, to be honest. I wonder if they are convinced that when your buddy has a major issue and you need to help them out, you will also remember to switch regs every few breaths, also I would be very curious to know what kind of gas sharing strategy they have....most people don't need to change their computer if they hand off the reg in their mouth.

On deco, switching PPO2 gases regularly in order to....reduce CNS? Reduce pulmonary symptoms? Why? If you want to maintain an average PPO2 on a deco stop, the answer has been around forever....carry a gas that has that PPO2 on your stop. 1.6 at 6m for an hour too much for the lungs? Take an 80% or a 50% or a 92% or whatever you need. Sure, in terms of standardisation in the water/ on the trip custom mixes can be problematic, but we are way past that argument here.

partial pressure blending inside your lungs?

Sounds dumb.

even if it worked (and it might), if one of those tanks has a failure, you’re in a pickle.
hah yes can you imagine the amount of notes youd have to write on a slate to cover that !

Just when you think you've heard it all...

Not even remotely interested in being the Guinea pig for this plan and I have done a forkton of sketchy and overly complicated stuff. I can't see any significant advantages and the aforementioned disadvantages are only a fraction.
That being said, I would support anyone who who wants to do it with a hearty " Cheers and good luck! "

Sounds a wee bit complicated and bat $**t crazy IMO. But they, they said the same thing about nitrox and even trimix oh so long ago.
Cutting edge? maybe.

Are these the same people who wear a wetsuit inside a drysuit?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom