New Blacktip setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah.. using my 10AH batteries today first time, we cruised at 3-5 for about 80 minutes continuously and still way more than 50%left

How long of a line do you use for your front clip?

Also do you trim the straps? Both the housing strap and the carry handle one are rather long.

How long of a line do you use for your front clip?

Also do you trim the straps? Both the housing strap and the carry handle one are rather long.
straps I trim somewhat and then tuck it in under the clip..the housing strap I keep a bit longer to make it easier to undo. carry one is fairly short.

Front clip, mine is about 20cm from the cap to the bolt snap ring

Got it setup, just need to find time to get it wet.

20210907_175437.jpg

I'm going to add a camera mount later.

Got it setup, just need to find time to get it wet.

View attachment 680665

I'm going to add a camera mount later.

One thing I would recommend is adding an elastic hose retainer (epdm band) like you would use for a stage bottle around the tube on the buckle or excess strap. It's just an extra security precaution on the surface. Once the tube is under pressure it's not coming off.

I've witnessed two scooter floods (one Blacktip and one Piranha) and another close call on a boat. One because the crew accidently grabbed the scooter by the strap (not knowing) and two because a buckle got caught on a dive ladder and opened the tube (not sure how this was even possible but it happened).

Here is an example of what I mean (either will work I suppose).
IMG_20210928_122409254.jpg

IMG_20210928_122438416.jpg

Have noticed that the other strap that runs around the tube is prone to opening by itself.

A candidate for taking an angle grinder to the clip to make it rounded to fit the circumference of the tube and stick out less.

Have noticed that the other strap that runs around the tube is prone to opening by itself.

A candidate for taking an angle grinder to the clip to make it rounded to fit the circumference of the tube and stick out less.

I'm probably going to ditch that other strap and do one like @laikabear did. Shown in post #9 of this thread.

No buckle. Webbing and a big hose clamp. Looks very slick. No worries of a buckle coming open.

Maybe laikabear will will give us a little more detail on that. Length and width of webbing? Size of hose clamp? How to make the holes in the webbing for the hose clamp to go through, and leave them where the webbing doesn't have those holes get gradually bigger and bigger?

I absolutely hate the universal carry strap that comes with the Blacktip. I removed mine from my scooters.

It's pretty easy to make a better handle with 2" webbing and band clamp Like the suex carrying strap
71415-640x640.jpg

EDIT: I missed @stuartv's post from above. I can take some pictures of the carrying handle that my friends made for their scooters. I haven't added one to my scooter yet

I'm probably going to ditch that other strap and do one like @laikabear did. Shown in post #9 of this thread.

No buckle. Webbing and a big hose clamp. Looks very slick. No worries of a buckle coming open.

Maybe laikabear will will give us a little more detail on that. Length and width of webbing? Size of hose clamp? How to make the holes in the webbing for the hose clamp to go through, and leave them where the webbing doesn't have those holes get gradually bigger and bigger?
Thanks for the reminder (and slap for not looking back in the thread).

Soldering irons are your friend for putting holes in webbing. Especially the gas-burning soldering irons.

Looks like that's the best option; as long as the jubilee clip's not too tight.

Crappy picture but I made this one as quick mockup. 6.5-7 inch band clamp, ~26inch of 2" webbing, the holes for the handle are ~7inch apart. You can adjust the loop/handle as needed.

IMG_20210928_213157569.jpg

IMG_20210928_213022624.jpg

Back
Top Bottom