New Blacktip setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is Pimp My Scooter: BlackTip Edition, and I LOVE it.

Is there any other scooter that's as customizable? The ESC firmware is open source, and now we have jump to warp speed, cruise control, slow speed migrate, additional gears, and reverse that aren't available with the factory firmware, thanks to @benjammin17, and a whole catalog of compass, GoPro and left handle mounts from @Patrick Sadowski. Heck, even the original concept for the tech tube came from an owner who built an extension to get his OG Blacktip to trim out horizontally. I guess that's what happens with a capable and affordable DPV with a user base well over a thousand in one year

Tow line is common. Don't remember it off the top of my head. Any hardware store.
Nose snap, I used bungee cord. Right or wrong, it works for me.

What size bungee are you using?
How Are you rigging it?
I have thought about doing that's as well.

On my mark3 I use a single point tow rope. Not a V harness...
I like how it works.. very maneuverable

Well the prop guard is not as big in diameter as the newer dpv's. So of set is about 4 inches...
I was originally thinking to pull from motor shaft with a live swivel :wink:
Seem to work quite well.
I can't get pictures to load anymore

What size bungee are you using?
How Are you rigging it?
I have thought about doing that's as well.

On my mark3 I use a single point tow rope. Not a V harness...
I like how it works.. very maneuverable

Not sure on the size bungee. Just a piece I had around.
upload_2021-9-1_6-24-31.jpeg

Is there any other scooter that's as customizable? The ESC firmware is open source, and now we have jump to warp speed, cruise control, slow speed migrate, additional gears, and reverse that aren't available with the factory firmware, thanks to @benjammin17, and a whole catalog of compass, GoPro and left handle mounts from @Patrick Sadowski. Heck, even the original concept for the tech tube came from an owner who built an extension to get his OG Blacktip to trim out horizontally. I guess that's what happens with a capable and affordable DPV with a user base well over a thousand in one year

It means Ben & Team F'd up.... and got called out on it, repeatedly! ... funny how all of Bens posts have been deleted off of social media, telling customers to hand over 5K for a 'real' DPV, and delete and ban posts of people who did.

Then changed the revolutionary campaign into a giant 'beta' test.... See how many iterations of the tech tube and nose combo there are....

_R

Two bay charger or a four bay charger?

I use the DeWalt product line and here’s my perspective.

I think a two-bay charger is perfectly suitable for most folks. If you use a set of 12 Ah batteries down to one bar (on the battery), you’re likely to want a long SI anyways or are probably done for the day.

At gear 3, your 12Ah batteries will last 123 minutes total run time / 86 minutes planned run time (70% of TRT).

If you surface and put your batteries on the charger for 90 minutes, I think (gut feel) you can safely plan for a second dive with 60 minutes of planned run time.

The usual variables will play into that…age of batteries, current, hydrodynamic trim, etc.

NOTE: The two bay charger made by DeWalt is NOT manufactured to handle variable input (110 to 220). So, if you use your BlackTip to travel, make sure to check your voltage before plugging it in lest you hear a pop and smell the internal electrical components of your charger burning (DAMHIK). Best to research voltage at your destination and to request a step down transformer be made available. I have one (now) but it’s too heavy to pack for a vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom