New BC'S, why no whistle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In all seriousness here...I was under the impression that life preservers on boats must have a whistle...but I didn't think this was applicable to BCDs as a BCD "could" be a life preserver, but this isn't the function of the BCD, therefore doesn't "have" to have a whistle...

But it is funny that you'd have to pay $5 for a 50¢ piece of plastic!

ScottZeagle:
WHY NO WHISTLE (in 1000 words or less)

The easy answer is: Jack Bauer doesn't need a whistle, and neither should you.

The conspiracy theory is: We got together with Dave Hancock (from Dive Alert) and decided that by not including a 50 cent whistle, it would force people to purchase a Dive Alert. For doing this we would recieve a kickback from Dave for every Dive Alert that was put on a Zeagle BC. If you are currently using a Zeagle BC with a Dive Alert, please let me know. The tracking became a nightmare and we have not recieved one red cent to date...:(

The honest answer: A couple of years ago, we asked dealers if they wanted the whistles to remain on the BCs. Most didn't care one way or the other, some wanted to keep the whistle just because it had always been there, and quite a few said they didn't care for the whistle anyway, and would prefer it wasn't on the BC.

Personally, I would never dive without a Dive Alert. I feel it is far superior to a plastic whistle, and can be heard more easily and at greater distance. Plus, if the seas are a little rough, I would prefer to keep my reg in my mouth.

There you have it....

Scott
I bought a dive alert today brand new off Ebay for $32......

I have one as well, never been used. Never had the guts to try it. The only socially acceptable place to make that kind of noise is at a football game, and you would probably look funny wearing scuba gear to a football game.

If you want another less expensive device, go get a lifeguard wistle, those are plenty loud. And they work if you run out of air. The ones that used to come with the BC weren't nearly as good, sorry Scott.

RPanick:
I have one as well, never been used. Never had the guts to try it. The only socially acceptable place to make that kind of noise is at a football game, and you would probably look funny wearing scuba gear to a football game.

Now I know what my new football outfit will be!!

I got a DiveAlert and a SubAlert permanently attached to my LP hose and a Storm Whistle and Pelican Mini Flasher attached to the SSD tucked away in my pocket.

The Storm Whistle is the loudest whistle I've heard, and will sound even under water (not that it need to, but it does).

The whistle and mini strobe are very compact and in the remote case I run out of gas with the DiveAlert, then the whistle will perform until rescued.

It's all about the Fox 40 Classic. Way better than whatever would have come with the BC anyway.

Leave it to the dive industry to take a 50 cent plastic whistle and sell it for $5 bucks.
As a fellow who was known to have flunked out of business school but nevertheless went on to start his own very successful business once said: "It costs me $1 each to make my widgets, and I can sell all of them I can make all day long for $5. You wouldn't believe the profit there is in that four percent markup!"

Merry Christmas, y'all.

No whistles on BCs... what will they complain about next? I don't use them when I am diving the springs. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom