New BC'S, why no whistle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeez..they're like $5.00! I was at the "other" LDS in my area and bought one (figured that it was the least I could do after wandering in and grabbing the freebie Dive Training mags and whatever else they have sitting there that says "Free, Take one"!)

IF you look at my pics you can see the little orange bugger!

Ken,

I don't know why it did not. They come attached to the corrugated hose. Maybe it fell off in the dive store? Assuming that is where you purchased it. If you PM me i will try to get you one.

stangscuba98a:
Bought a new Zeagle Brigade and noticed it came with no whistle. Looked at pictures of new BC'S and it looks like none of them come with a whistle?? Reason for this? My old BC'S came with one and thought that was still part of the safety issues to have one....Thanks.

Stangs,

Your Zeagle Brigade is way too cool for a plastic whistle.... When I outfitted my Diva with her Zeagle Zena and my Brigade, we opted for Atomic SS1s and Dive Alert3s... Hopefully you at least got the Yellow Thingies and rear weight pockets also for your Brigade...They are must have options as well....

A plastic whistle on a Zeagle... Think C-150 compared to those jets you wrench on... If you do get a plastic whistle, hide it in your pocket like I do :D

Blue Moon

Lydia_AtomicSS1.jpg

Blue Moon:
Stangs,

Your Zeagle Brigade is way too cool for a plastic whistle.... When I outfitted my Diva with her Zeagle Zena and my Brigade, we opted for Atomic SS1s and Dive Alert3s... Hopefully you at least got the Yellow Thingies and rear weight pockets also for your Brigade...They are must have options as well....

A plastic whistle on a Zeagle... Think C-150 compared to those jets you wrench on... If you do get a plastic whistle, hide it in your pocket like I do :D

Blue Moon

Lydia_AtomicSS1.jpg
Thanks. Yes I got the rear weight pockets and the yellow thingys. Where did you get the Atomic SS1s and how much? Thanks.

stangscuba98a:
Thanks. Yes I got the rear weight pockets and the yellow thingys. Where did you get the Atomic SS1s and how much? Thanks.

I live in the Dallas area so of course I purchased via my LDS which most likely is the same place that I suspect you purchased your Brigade from.... My LDS is an Atomic dealer but of course they don't sell via the Internet because that would be bad...Next time you're in Big D take a look if you don't have a LDS that has a huge inventory like my LDS... :wink:

The SS1 was very reasonable for what you get, yes slightly more than a normal Octo but so much better.... Of course I don't mind my Diva breathing off my primary if she needs to....

I tested mine on a dive to 105 feet just to make sure that it would work in the real world and the performance is awesome... If you do decide on the SS1 and Dive Alert, you will most likely want to shorten the air hose as the standard one that Atomic sends is too long when combined with the Dive Alert... That said, Atomic now sells shorter hoses for about $15 for this application or you can have your LDS make you one. You will need to measure first to see what length you need...

Enjoy,

Blue Moon

WHY NO WHISTLE (in 1000 words or less)

The easy answer is: Jack Bauer doesn't need a whistle, and neither should you.

The conspiracy theory is: We got together with Dave Hancock (from Dive Alert) and decided that by not including a 50 cent whistle, it would force people to purchase a Dive Alert. For doing this we would recieve a kickback from Dave for every Dive Alert that was put on a Zeagle BC. If you are currently using a Zeagle BC with a Dive Alert, please let me know. The tracking became a nightmare and we have not recieved one red cent to date...:(

The honest answer: A couple of years ago, we asked dealers if they wanted the whistles to remain on the BCs. Most didn't care one way or the other, some wanted to keep the whistle just because it had always been there, and quite a few said they didn't care for the whistle anyway, and would prefer it wasn't on the BC.

Personally, I would never dive without a Dive Alert. I feel it is far superior to a plastic whistle, and can be heard more easily and at greater distance. Plus, if the seas are a little rough, I would prefer to keep my reg in my mouth.

There you have it....

Scott

Back
Top Bottom