new batteries for dive rite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuubaadoo

Reaction score
I recently got a dive rite wreck 1 cannister light. But I got it before they where offering the battery upgrade. Does any one know where I can get another battery pack that will fit and give me more burn time?

-
You can buy the 4.6 AMP Wreck Cel for about $80 from dive rite.
That will give you about 4hrs burn time with a 10w hid. It uses the same charger that came with your light so its a cheap upgrade.

$80 seems like alot to pay for a new battery. If I'm not mistaken Dive Rite uses Power Sonic batteries and you can find them on the net for far less then $80. Is there something special about this battery like it's a NiMH or something else that would make it so expensive?

Scott

That's exactly what I was going to suggest as well Aqua, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something special about this type of battery that it was only possible to purchase it from Dive Rite before I said anything. $80 sure seems excessive, I bought 2 12volt, 7amp gelcells from a local battery store for $13 each.

Scott

Hey guys, thanks for the info link looks like a good possibility. Supposedly this new battery is a "gel cell" that gives it more burn time in the same size pkg. Still a lot of money for a battery

Nearly all Sealed lead acid batteries are gel. Certainaly all non spillable cells are gel.
The UB series (from zbattery) of batteries are definatly gel.

Burn time is indicated by the Ah rating. 3.4 Amp hours is 3.4Ah no matter what it is made of, gel or liquid or NiMh

Interesting that it is offered as an upgrade.
What are they upgrading from, and what to?

As far as I know (which is little). The wreck light standard battery is a gel cell, the next step up is to go NiHM.
Dave

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Interesting that it is offered as an upgrade.
What are they upgrading from, and what to?

As far as I know (which is little). The wreck light standard battery is a gel cell, the next step up is to go NiHM.
Dave

The upgrade is from the standard battery that comes with the Wreck 1, a 2.9Ah if memory serves. The larger battery will double burn time with the 10W HID and fit the same canister. They also have a NiMH for the same light.

If you think $80 is high, price EE or Halcyon stuff sometime.

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...
If you think $80 is high, price EE or Halcyon stuff sometime.

Phil

I have, that's why I built my own for less than $150. It's a 12 volt, 7 amp 50 watt halogen. I'm still looking for an inexpensive bulb and ballast to make the conversion to HID. I took the light with me yesterday to 131 feet and it worked perfectly without a drop of water inside. Damn bright too.

Scott

shoebox.msnw

shoebox.msnw

Padipro once bubbled...

I have, that's why I built my own for less than $150.

Good for you! I used to do more DIY stuff, but now find my time is more limited. My Wreck HID was very reasonable, IMO, and I needed something for trimix.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom