New Atomic Ultraclear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For whatever is worth, all that brushing seemed to have done the job. Forgot my usual baby shampoo today and had to rely on good ol spit which seem to do the job...
Mask felt very comfortable this round of dives... As for the "ultraclear" part, still think its largely marketing hype... :wink:

I wet demoed the SubFrame mask yesterday in the pool along with some others. It was the black skirt with the blue trim on it. A couple of observations.

The blue trim is translucent which I found being able to see the blue highlites around the mask slightly anoying. It would be better if the trim was fully opaque so that light did not come through. It could still be blue and you would see blue but with out the light coming through it would be less distracting.

The other is that the glass is clear which compared to my present mask was basically the same. This is because I have prescription lens and though they are off the shelf lens for my old Sherwood mask they are also clear. Compared to a similar Tusa mask that I also tried there was a very slight difference. I am sure that compared to some lens there would be a greater difference to not much at all.

Overall FOV in the water was similar to other masks with one exception I could see lower than my current mask.

That said after trying on all of the masks I decided to buy one and have perscription lenses put in it. The cost difference over some of the other masks I tried that I could put prescription lenses in was $0 to $30.

I decided to buy it because it was different and it was time to get a new mask. (My current mask is 14 years old and if the skirt blows I would need a whole new mask as the skirt can not be replaced alone). Of course the same this mask ;-).

BTW Not sure if folks have seen this but Atomic won a design award for the SubFrame:

http://en.red-dot.org/283+M5d61ee6aa9b.html

Surprised they are not pimping it on their website.

I bought the frameless today. It's great out of the water but I didn't like it in the water. It's so low profile that the smallest amount of water slashes in to your eyes if you exhale into the mask. I'm going to give it a few more dives before I sell it on ebay.

Any opinions on the Atomic Sub-Frame vs. Frameless models?

so far, I'm not liking the atomic frameless.. see previous posts...

Have dived this mask now 4 times. I'm very happy with it. Oh, mine is the frameless. Tried both and liked it best.

HoggieEater:
I'm going to give it a few more dives before I sell it on ebay.

If it has the black skirt, and you decide to get rid of it, PM or email me. I might be able to take it off your hands. I did a test fit of the Atomic frameless at my LDS and like the mask, but they only have the clear in stock at this time.

wmspdi@zoominternet.net

wmspdi:
If it has the black skirt, and you decide to get rid of it, PM or email me. I might be able to take it off your hands. I did a test fit of the Atomic frameless at my LDS and like the mask, but they only have the clear in stock at this time.

wmspdi@zoominternet.net
Mine is clear.. I haven't had time to test it again..

Don't think the black skirted has yet quite hit the shelves. My LDS has one on pre-order for me, expecting it in the next two weeks... hope hope!

Well after using the mask for about 3-4 days I ended up selling my frameless to my friend. The skirt right below the nose just doesn't make a good seal. I went thru a photo workshop with the nose area completely flooded. Really frustrating as I liked the frameless design. But it did fit a caucasian friend well. I guess it just wasn't made for an asian face.

Bought a Mares tru vision to replace it for the rest of the trip. This was another frustrating story... I went thru two masks that made the most annoying noise as there appears to be a small leak in the frame whenever I looked upwards...

Guess. I will try the scubapro frameless next... Or just go back to my old tusa mask...

Back
Top Bottom