New Atomic models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbijou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have talked to several dealers regarding the "improvements" in the Atomic line (i.e.- T2 vs. T1, Z2 vs. Z1), but am curious about the actual performance characteristics of these new "improvements". Has anyone used a second generation Atomic and can compare them to their predessessor?

Scuba Diving Magazine did a review on the T2 and gave it rave reviews. Take it for what its worth

I’ve had my T2 since May and have used it on 32 dives on 2 trips (Hawaii and Florida). [I got it mostly for travel--it's nice and light.] I never used the T1, so I can't comment on how it compares with it (except to note that the T2 has a swivel at the second stage where the T1 did not--the swivel is a nice feature!).

I can say that it breathes great! As well as the B2 (my primary “at home”, California water reg) which I absolutely love.

I also use their SS1 (integrated air source), so I guess you can say that I’m a very satisfied Atomic customer.

I have a B2 and I have used the entire Atomic line. B2 is the same as a B1 basically, but it has a 2nd stage swivel. The T2 is enviromentally sealed now, and has a swivel. If you don't need an enviromental seal, get a B2. The old T1 was offered with an optional sealing kit, but that just makes services more difficult and you use a whole tube of crysta-lube. Now the enviro sealing is standard. The only reason I didnt buy an M1 was the enviro seal, I just dont need it for my diving conditions.

sbijou:
I have talked to several dealers regarding the "improvements" in the Atomic line (i.e.- T2 vs. T1, Z2 vs. Z1), but am curious about the actual performance characteristics of these new "improvements". Has anyone used a second generation Atomic and can compare them to their predessessor?

The new T2 has a titanium swivel hose and the enviro kit standard were as the T1 did not. I have both the T1X & T2 and as WileEdiver said the swivel IS nice. So, that is the greatest performance enhancement that I've found on the T2. The enviromental seal enhancement is probably overkill for most recreational divers but I'm in the pool one day and the ocean the next. So for me keeping all the chlorine and salt away from the o-ring on the piston is definitely an added benefit, and If you dive cold water its a must. However, Christolube doesn't come cheap when rebuild time rolls around. But then again thats only every 2 years.
I use a T2 and so does all my divemasters & instructors. The only thing I would suggest adding to the T2 (as we did) is the M1 exhaust tee. Its a little wider than the standard T2 exhaust T and thus more effective eliminating the bubbles. You can also do this with the other Atomic models as well as adding the swivel hose. They all perfrom great, but the B2 is the best value right out of the box for the $$. We were so impressed after working on a lot of the old B1's that the shrimpers use (and abuse) here that we decided to use the Atomic line exclusively for our rental/student units.

Here's a link to the Atomic Aquatic's website.

Atomic Aquatics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom