New Artificial Reef, Rapa Nui Reef, Deerfield Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove it yesterday. very sad. there was a strong current which was picked up additional sediment into the water, reducing visibility. We were able to see about 15 to 20 feet ahead of us.

Because the project is upside down, we weren't able to see a whole lot underneath the barge....in shadow. Only a jackass would go underneath it. the project is not safe to dive under.

Rusty water was flowing out of the barge, limiting visibility in some areas to less than 2 feet.

If the statues were scattered around the barge it would not be a complete loss in my opinion. But because everything is underneath it, it is.

Sad to see so much time and effort put into the project, and it getting destroyed in 2 minutes.

Sad.

We we all had such high hopes down here for this project.
without coming off like a "Monday Morning Quarterback"....
What was the engineering plan????
Pull the plugs and down it goes straight?
The conditions could not have been better for the sinking.

Chug
Thinks the Moa Gods were angry because they were going to face the heads to the west.
All of the real Easter Island heads face to the East.
Bad Ju-Ju.

That would have been a cool reef for sure.

Although I'm sure everyone wants to know what went wrong and who is responsible; I sure hope efforts are directed to preventing a diver tragedy with what could possibly be an unstable structure.

Thanks to all those that put some much time and money into this effort. Seeing the results is sad for all but must be really heartbreaking to the people involved.

The lack of cynicism over this debacle amazes me. In the end, this mess, and that's what it is, is the city's fault, and I believe they want to keep it as hush-hush as they can. "You made a mess in our ocean? Oh, you'll fix it? OK, no problem!" And here's another question: $500,000? Where?

The lack of cynicism over this debacle amazes me. In the end, this mess, and that's what it is, is the city's fault, and I believe they want to keep it as hush-hush as they can. "You made a mess in our ocean? Oh, you'll fix it? OK, no problem!" And here's another question: $500,000? Where?

nice first post on Scubaboard: did folks get sick of you on other forums & social media?

It looks dangerous. The barge will start moving and sinking and crushing what is left when the first big sets of surge hits it. Seems like a ton of money for very little return. Wonder why they didn't open the deck and place the statues inside the barge instead of on top of it?

I see from your profile you were certified by Dixie Divers - closely associated with this project - and have less than 24 dives.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Welcome to the Board !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom