New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least the screen is nice.
Seriously though, the more I try use it the more irritated I get.
It's like Oceanic designed this for complete idiots.

I'd like my computer to give me information and help me manage the dive. Not paint me in a corner and force me to babysit my watch for the duration.
My impression is that someone who knows nothing about diving has made some stupid "user experience" decrees mandating that the watch be the central focus of the activity.

I am sure the Oceanic developers were rolling their eyes and biting their tongues...

My impression is that someone who knows nothing about diving has made some stupid "user experience" decrees mandating that the watch be the central focus of the activity.

I am sure the Oceanic developers were rolling their eyes and biting their tongues...
The more we learn, the more it seems like a modern day Tamagotchi? (It took a few Google attempts to dredge up that nightmare)

I check my main computer about 10 minutes before each dive by verifying that it will be happy with my dive plan (we are very conservative, so never any issues). My backup dive computers ride in my BCD pocket all week. I might check them once or twice during a trip. Having to fiddle a computer multiple times per dive is a non-starter.

Speaking of which: we are still looking for real life battery life feedback.
I was only in the water for about an hour but it seemed to make no difference to the battery life. generally I get about three days. I am pretty sure that even 5 hr of dive use in a day would leave it with plenty to spare.

I will start by pointing out that NDL is a poor to useless measure but I know SB people don’t agree…

NDLs from the on computer planners.

50/85 on air 85/85 on air

Depth Perdix Oceanic+ Perdix oceanic+

12 120 100+ 120 100+
15 68 68 68 68
18 44 43 44 43
21 31 29 31 29
24 23 20 23 20
27 18 15 18 15
30 14 11 14 11
33 12 9 12 9
36 10 7 10 7
39 9 6 9 6

They designed it for an apple watch.
Generally I don't have a problem with Oceanic computers. This app though is embarrassing.

There are some things about it that are excellent, but it feels like they over simplified it by not allowing the full range of features on their current devices to work in the apple ultra.

Even if there are limits that apple wanted, im sure that those could have been met without the app being silly.

The logbook is an absolute joke. The developers should be ashamed. There are so many decent or at least passable logbook apps available this is something they should have been able to get right from the beginning.

Generally I don't have a problem with Oceanic computers. This app though is embarrassing.

There are some things about it that are excellent, but it feels like they over simplified it by not allowing the full range of features on their current devices to work in the apple ultra.

Even if there are limits that apple wanted, im sure that those could have been met without the app being silly.

The logbook is an absolute joke. The developers should be ashamed. There are so many decent or at least passable logbook apps available this is something they should have been able to get right from the beginning.
Releasing software is harder than you think, especially in a corporate environment. Is it fabulous? No, would I tell an entry level student who already has an Apple Watch Ultra to buy a stand alone computer Instead? I don’t think so.

I wrote to Oceanic/Huish regarding functioning of Oceanic+ if one exceeds the depth limit of 130 or 144 feet. This is their quick reply:

I do not believe there will be a manual for the app. Please see the engineers' responses to your questions.
1) If you dive beyond 130 feet, but not beyond 144 feet, will the computer function normally again once you ascend above 130 feet?
YES
if that excursion beyond 130 feet included entering decompression, will decompression data be displayed normally during the ascent?

YES
Once you have surfaced, witl the computer continue to function normally for a repetitive dive or will it be locked out?
YOU WILL NOT BE LOCKED OUT, normal
if locked out, how long

2) I have the same questions, should you exceed 144 feet on the dive, will the computer function normally once you ascend above 130 feet?
NO MORE DECO DATA, just dive time and depth

If the dive beyond 144 feet included entering decompression, will the deco data be displayed on the ascent?

NO MORE DECO DATA, just dive time and depth

Once you have surfaced, will the computer function normally for repetitive dives or will it be locked out?

Lockout for 48 hours

if locked out, how long?

Back
Top Bottom